Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a new sports club in UCC

• 28-07-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm trying to get an Olympic Weightlifting Club set up in UCC. I can't find any info on the UCC site or colleroad.ie on what channels to go through to get a club set up, anyone know what office/person I could email/ring? Anyone have any experience in setting up or running a club?

Secondly, do you think an Olympic Weighting club is a good idea? Would you or people you know possibly be interested in joining? We'll probably need some proof that we'll have members and support etc. to make it viable.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

There used to be one way back, maybe around 5 years ago or so. I went along a good lot but the Mardyke at the time just didn't have the right facilities then so it was nothing special. Demand dropped and it just disappeared.

Then a few years ago after the refurbishment of the gym, the Mardyke finally allowed the main weights area to be opened up to all clubs and not just the rugby club. It was pretty decent and you could get access to the main area and a trainer 3 times a week for about 90 minutes each time. However it was general lifts and did not focus on the Olympic Lifts to a huge degree. I don't know if that still goes on as I have left UCC and its clubs.

I think the interest would be there for a club or at least it was in my time, provided the facilities are accessible. If you could ensure that the main weights area could be used and that there would be a weights coach then I would imagine there would be high demand. I understand that you don't want eejits in there just coming along to work on their "guns" but I imagine catering to some of the power lifters wouldn't do much harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Well g'em, one of the mods from the fitness forum said that the IAWLA is trying to establish new clubs around the country and would support and nurture us. The refurbishment of the gym has pretty much all the equipment we'd need, and they do have it open to all the clubs (or the ones that need it anyway) these days.

I need a contact for the clubs exec though, can't find email addresses or phone numbers anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Email president@uccclubsexec.ie - name is Shane Carroll, he will go through process with you and tell you how to set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Would be a great idea. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Also, Christine O Donovan is the acting head of sports in UCC sports department. I managed a club last year and dealt with christine on a regular basis. She's absolutely sound and your point of contact for money and everything else.

Pm me for her email address if your interested.

• Advertisement

Also, Christine O Donovan is the acting head of sports in UCC sports department. I managed a club last year and dealt with christine on a regular basis. She's absolutely sound and your point of contact for money and everything else.

Pm me for her email address if your interested.

I know christine, great woman. dealt with her a bit when i was in first year, scholarship stuffs.

Update: the club's all sorted out and timetabled in to the high performance area of the Mardyke for Tuesdays and Thursdays 8-9pm. Coach and equipment are being taken care of, all we needs now is some members. Come along and give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Delighted you got it started and would of loved to get involved but it's on the only 2 evenings that I defo can't be there. It clashes with another sport. Tues and Thurs very traditional days for sports teams to train.

All the best and you never know I might make up sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Would this be for beginners also or would you have to know what you're doing already? Would you need to be in very good condition already or will it start from the very start?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

What exactly will be covered in the classes?

Will the classes be free?

• Advertisement

What exactly will be covered in the classes?

Will the classes be free?
    not sure what'll be covered in the classes, i'm assuming all you'd need to be a weightlifter. if you're a student of UCC, it's free.
    dorgasm wrote: »
    Would this be for beginners also or would you have to know what you're doing already? Would you need to be in very good condition already or will it start from the very start?

sure it'd be for beginners. I haven't a notion how to snatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seantoomey6666

has this club been set up because i would like to join

Advertisement