Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

generater question

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

hi folks iv bought a 5.5 hp honda generater and a changeover switch and some 4 square flex.im a plumber but iv no bother installing it as iv done bits of basic wiring down the years but have concerns over the frequency of the gen and how it might effect fridge/tv etc.. could some of u wisemen enlighten me please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

hi folks iv bought a 5.5 hp honda generater and a changeover switch and some 4 square flex.im a plumber but iv no bother installing it as iv done bits of basic wiring down the years but have concerns over the frequency of the gen and how it might effect fridge/tv etc.. could some of u wisemen enlighten me please!!

It may be a problem all right.

I've heard of stuff like heating controllers and timeclocks being "fried" by generators etc.

I have the same setup myself, as it's only used in power cuts(which are few and far between for me) I have no worries about frequency issues. I usually dont work the TV or any delicate equipment as far as possible when running on generator. I've only actually used it about twice in ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ground the genny and put an rcd on the lead supplying house

2-pole changeover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is there a voltage regulator in it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is there a voltage regulator in it?
    There always is. The problem is they often don't work as well as they should.

I think that you will find that the Honda is good though.

My advice is not to connect any expensive electronic device to the generator.

I would not a chance connecting a TV to it!

I would also use a larger cable than a 4^2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

I belive honda do a generator with an inbuilt inverter for a very stable supply, suitable for computers, tv etc.
    Found some info here for you; http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_inverteradvantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭johnjoe 123

thanks 4 the replys. do any of you know about putting a surge protector on the fuse board. would it work. there is no voltage gauge on it.. mc cebee is an rcd not just for voltage?? i thought frequency was hertz??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i'jm gone a bit rusty again but anyway

surge protection won't regulate the voltage

you can buy voltage regulators for the mains or items of equipment at a price

a genny with inverter technology is prob the 'cleanest power' afaik

the rcd is a fairly standard wiring arrangement when connecting portable gennys to long leads and installations

it'll prob be in the manual

Advertisement