Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates for gardener

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How much, roughly, should the average gardener charge per hour? I'm sure it depends, so will describe the work I have been getting done. I have a small garden that was previously planted by the old lady who lived in my house before me. Most of it is paving slabs with flower beds around three sides. Total space is around the same size as the ground floor of an average 3 bed semi.

I don't go near the garden, so when the gardener came at the start of the summer, it was a bit of a mess. He sprayed the weeds between the paving slabs, and trimmed back all of the overgrown and dead plants. Since then he has come back twice and done some general tidying up, including planting three plants to replace some dead ones.

He charges me approx 60 euros per hour for labour. Any plants are added to this.

I would understand if he was designing something that was going to win the Chelsea flower show, but all he does is general maintenance and tidying up - nothing I couldn't do myself if I had the time. The guy is a friend of mine who has just gone into business on his own, otherwise I would have told him to f**k off long ago.

At a guess, I would have thought that 25 or so per hour would be generous enough, but please let me know if I am being unreasonable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Hi,

How much, roughly, should the average gardener charge per hour? I'm sure it depends, so will describe the work I have been getting done. I have a small garden that was previously planted by the old lady who lived in my house before me. Most of it is paving slabs with flower beds around three sides. Total space is around the same size as the ground floor of an average 3 bed semi.

I don't go near the garden, so when the gardener came at the start of the summer, it was a bit of a mess. He sprayed the weeds between the paving slabs, and trimmed back all of the overgrown and dead plants. Since then he has come back twice and done some general tidying up, including planting three plants to replace some dead ones.

He charges me approx 60 euros per hour for labour. Any plants are added to this.

I would understand if he was designing something that was going to win the Chelsea flower show, but all he does is general maintenance and tidying up - nothing I couldn't do myself if I had the time. The guy is a friend of mine who has just gone into business on his own, otherwise I would have told him to f**k off long ago.

At a guess, I would have thought that 25 or so per hour would be generous enough, but please let me know if I am being unreasonable.

Tell him to take a walk:pac:

I'm not a pro gardener or anything like that, but I do grow all my own veg. 100% self supplied all year round for family of six.
    If ever I loose the day job, I would be happy to set up small veg gardens for people at €25 per hour. Might charge a little more for first time rotovating of new ground.
    I'm thinking there might be a market for that!
    But no point in ripping people off. They would still probably spend as much as paying shop prices for veg. But they would get fresh chemical free food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Hi,

Basic work such as outlined should cost in the region of € 20.00 - € 25.00, but of course you'll get chancers/cash merchants etc doing it for less, and at times others charging as your experience bears out premium prices. € 60.00/hr is a ridiculous charge rate.

Advertisement