Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To do a Degree or not to do a Degree in I.T.

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Was hoping for a bit of advice if possible on whether to go for a degree in computer support or to do distance learning/part time courses while working full time.

at the moment i am unemployed,do not have a degree to my name and seems like a smart option to go back to college full time here in GMIT Castlebar as it would give me more money in any industry in years to come.

the degree course is called Information Techonology Support(higher science)/Information Techonology Support;
    modules include computer applications/software development/operations systems 1/interpersonal communication/computer networks/training and support/databases/multimedia/business management.

yea 2 consists of

computer networks networks 3(cisco systems)/computer services management etc.

Basically having to wait for another 5 months before the degree course starts and was hoping there was a way that i could work full-time and get the same 'end goal', leading into the computer industry through online courses or part time degree courses perhaps instead of going to full time education and being broke for the next 4 years.

any advice would be most welcome lads and lasses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Basically having to wait for another 5 months before the degree course starts and was hoping there was a way that i could work full-time and get the same 'end goal', leading into the computer industry through online courses or part time degree courses perhaps instead of going to full time education and being broke for the next 4 years.

any advice would be most welcome lads and lasses

Are you sure it is 5 months away? Courses in the Institutes of Technology usually start at the end of September.

Anyway, which ever way you do it, you will end up with the same end goal.

If you do get a job an start working, don't forget that you can most likely do the degree at night. It is quite demanding sitting through four hours of classes after a full days work, but it can be done. It would usually be two nights a week. It may take a little longer, but financially, it might make sense.

Alternatively, you can do it via distance education. The only thing to be wary about is that you do it through a reputable college/university. Look out for these magical mystery online degrees that aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Have a look at www.oscail.ie or the Open University at www.open.ac.uk (don't let the uk put you off - they do courses in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Personally, I'd study while working if possible. If you do a regular degree course, you'll come out of it after four years with effectively no professional experience and may still have difficulty finding work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

instead of going to full time education and being broke for the next 4 years

I did the same assessment for myself, and it's actually not that different money wise

Full Time year round, yes, you make more, but college part time costs you 3 times what it does full time [hello logic]

workin part time durin the year, and full time over the summer months will bring it close to workin full time all year

Also, if you start your day with college, all your mental energy will be used where it's needed best. I'd hate to start laggin behind in college, and hinder my future career, by stressing over a job, thats just a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ludzer

IMO I would go fulltime to college but get a course that does 6 months work placement. Decide what area you really want to get into hardware/software, I did hardware but thinking I sould have enjoyed software dev too (good money)
    I did computing in college, did a 1yr cert and then 2 yr diploma, I always regret not doing the degree, but I'm still considering it.

hope this helps with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm hopin to do IT Management in Tallaght IT

It's got 2 three-month work placements :)

I really wanted that in a course, hence choosing ITM over Comp Science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Work placement is essential in a IT course these days. It's the reason i'm still working in an IT company that gave me the work placement 3 years on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Are you sure it is 5 months away?
    I am indeed, the course starts in January, there is a six month experience in the field, which is situated in the second year of the course.
    went down to the dole office during the week to see what one would be entitled to...seems i can get my dole while i am in college full time and work part time(get paid for it) without effecting my allowance/dole.

FYI-In order to qualify for the payements/dole whilst in college, one would need to be unemployed/on dole for atleast 9 months before the course starts.

what exams/distance learning qualifications(microsoft/cisco)would employers look for in the field aswell as a degree course in the field?

(i am on the dole for the next 5 months and could build my c.v. up in the meantime instead of starting the exams in a year or so when i have a break from college)

good start is half the battle they say:p

thanks so much everyone for the feedback, it helped alot. really appreciate taking time out to give me the info i need.

Advertisement