Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

I might have asked this before, but I can't remember so I'll ask again :P

Anyway, I'll be going into 6th year at the end of August. Since I joined the school I've had piercings all though they're not allowed. However I started growing my hair in about 3rd year and was able to hide them with my hair, so have been doing that since but now I'm sick of having my hair down around my face from 9 until 4 and really don't want to when I go back to school and TBH it's really the only thing stopping me from getting it cut. Just wondering should I tie my hair back/get it cut or just hide them? I'm quiet in school, never been in trouble and anyway most of the teachers know I have them, just as long as they can't see them they don't care. I don't want to do it to be all like f*ck you to the school or whatever. I just want to have the comfort of being able to show them. After all it is who I am and what I like and my body, but like I say I don't want to throw it in their faces, if you know what I mean. I'm the only one in the school with stretched ears and "a lot" of piercings. One or two eyebrow piercings that are discreet but that's about it. I could also put in retainers and clear plugs but that's just extra hassle to be changing them all the time and also not very hygenic. My arguement would be:

a) I've had piercings in the school (just hidden) for the past 5 years without problems

b) Yes it states in the rules that piercings aren't allowed but there's also a rule that says that each student has the right to their own individuality.

c) They do not distract me from work and infact taking them in and out all the time would be more distracting

d) They could close up or I could get an infection (lie) if I take them out and leave them open.

And their arguements are likely to be:

a) It's for health and safety reasons, eg you get into a fight and someone rips them out

b) It's not school uniform

And probably some others. I don't want to get into a big arguement with the school and the last thing I want is fro them to turn around and say I can't do my leaving. I know most people would say just hide them for the year and get on with it but I don't see why I should have to. I want to be going into school comfortable with who I am and not have to hide.

I don't know. Am I looking into and worrying about this too much? Anyone else have problems with piercings in work/school? Any opinions welcome!

(sorry for the long post!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I had the same rule in school.

We were allowed one pair of studs and that was it.

I had my nose pierced from 3rd year and just used to take it out. But when I got my lip peirced I couldn't do that. I got into a lot of trouble. Think it was fifth year.
    I was set on keeping it but kept gettin sent home.
    TBH it wasnt worth the hassle but at the time I thought taking out my lip bar would be the end of the world.
    For other reasons I stopped going to school so my problem was solved.

TBH it depends on how much you think you can bend the rules at school. I went to a Presentation school so they were pretty strict. It was either take them out and come in , or leave them in and dont come in.
    Sorry prolly not much help:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If they point it out to you, point out all the girls with their knackerish madonna piercings.

Thats how i got away with it back in the day when i was young chap back in 19dickity2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That would work but there are no girls in my school :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

awwwww stinger.....ha ha all boys school? your parents don't like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

I would just take them out when in school, if you have had them for 5 years they are not going to close up. I was the same in school, fought with teachers the whole time about leaving them in (pretty much the same arguments that you have). As Cookie jar said, it's not worth the hassle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I would just take them out when in school, if you have had them for 5 years they are not going to close up. I was the same in school, fought with teachers the whole time about leaving them in (pretty much the same arguments that you have). As Cookie jar said, it's not worth the hassle....

I haven't had all them for 5 years, just have always had at least 1 piercing in the school :P

I could take a out a few, but things like my stretched lobes start to close up after 15 mins. It was a tight squeeze to get a 7mm into my 8mm lobe after taking it out for a little while. I'd hate to have to start stretching again after spending a little under a year doing it :(

There's also then the hassle of putting them back in after/before school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I had my conch and Scaffold covered up with my hair for some of last year. The problem was I kept getting problems because of that with the piercings and I was always treating them. Then one day I went into Snakebite and Rob put it plain and simple and said me hair was causing the infections. Got the hair cut because it was pissing me off anyway and I finally had a good excuse to get rid of it and all the infections stopped. TBH, it is up to you what you do but I was suspended for having my eyebrow pierced.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I had all my piercings, bar my nose, through school. Same rule applied there, only one set of studs allowed.

I always had my hair down so they were never really visible. Girls who went around with them in plain sight were told to remove them. The odd time I had my hair up, I was always warned but they turned a blind eye as I was a House Head and a very good girl!

I didn't feel comfortable flaunting them as it was technically against school rules which I didn't want to bend. So just keeping them covered was the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

is any other student being given grief over the piercings but on the postive side you are in your final year and then you will be able to move on with your body mods if they do give you hassle over it, the last thing you want is a teacher making your life a misery for the last 9months so i think either leave the hair down for another bit till you fin or just straight up and ask the principal, if he says its fine then why not, i think by asking and be forthcoming shows a great level of maturity

if they have a policy against it just stick with the long hair as you will be under enough stress and pressure with exams

in my old school (old man voice hehe) back in the day the principal was always more leniant in regards to 6th and 5th year students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My VP is a fair auld bitch about piercings, I was talking to her and she just snapped and goes "Do you have your tounge pierced?!! Open your mouth!" I stuck out my tounge at here and I didn't have it pierced.:D

baz 2009 1-0 auld bitch.

Teachers don't care much about other lads' piercings, few lips and eyebrows. I was told to take out my earrings by one teacher(art of all things:pac:) when we were having an assembly or something like that, I think that's cos it had a weed sign in it, though.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I don't usually post here but this just reminded me of when I was in school. As long as the teachers liked you (except the HE teacher) one or maybe two piercings were grand. The "trouble-makers" were told to take them out but they usually just covered them with a bit of plaster or band-aid and nothing was said. Maybe you could try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Atavan, life sucks, and unfortunately the further through it you go, the more you'll see it's true. The very pupose of their "Uniform Rules" are to make you conform and be part of a system, not an individual who is "going into school comfortable with who I am and not have to hide." Remembering back to my school days (and they weren't today or yesterday) I took the school rule book and disassembled it. eg they say 1 piercing, you prove the difference between a "piercing" and a "stretching". I counted each little victory as me 1 school 0. They did however rewrite the school rules after we left. So we did something right. The alternative is head down, keep the hair and spend each day secure in the knowledge that you're 1 day closer to leaving it all behind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Here Atavan--Its not just school that this **** happens in.Ive always had piercings even though Im a manager.Never affected how I did my job-always got the promotion beacuse most of the bosses I worked with saw that they didnt affect my work etc etc and then the companys taken over and this new boss whos an awful oul bollox decides that all piercings have to go including 2 tiny lobe ones.

So I had to take them out or he was going to sack me.I`d no choice and its a pain in the arse having to pop them back in every evening.

Theres a couple still left in(nape being the one hes more likely to see) that he hasnt seen yet.Hope he doesnt because Im drawing the line at that coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

woops had a huge post about clear piercings but didnt read your full post haha

tbh there isnt much you can do. most schools stick to the rules because if they let one person off then things start to go haywire ;)

maybe just stick with the clear ones until you are finished. sucks but sure at least there wont be any arguments about it.

sorry i couldnt be of more help! :(

Advertisement