Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in dublin/wicklow

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have two questions.

1) Magic seaweed shows this report for dublin
    http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/

It says 5ft swell but 0ft wave for friday. Im guessing theres nothing happening then based on this, am i right?

2) Mather mor in wicklow can be good on rare occassions. Is there anyway of finding out if its good though without having to drive down. ie: on a updated thread somewhere.

Thanks

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

airtommy wrote: »
    I have two questions.

It says 5ft swell but 0ft wave for friday. Im guessing theres nothing happening then based on this, am i right?

2) Mather mor in wicklow can be good on rare occassions. Is there anyway of finding out if its good though without having to drive down. ie: on a updated thread somewhere.

Thanks

A

If you look at the reacent weather section on met.ie and look at the M2 Buoy you can see the swell size and what the wind is doing. Also look on marine.ie it needs to be 2m or more generated by a south wind.

If there is swell from the north MM is very dangerouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I have two questions.

Swell isn't up to much if it doesn't break well, the wave just won't carry you anywhere...

If you click on the timeframe for that swell you'll get more detail and see the breaking wave estimate:

Breaking Wave Estimate
    0ft
    Flat

Compare that with the 5ft swell in Lahinch this week:

Breaking Wave Estimate
    7ft
    Overhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 airtommy

Great thanks for that guys. Is there anywhere that you can go to for predictions on mather mor? Would i be right in saying mm is probably the best spot near to dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Always thought the best spot near Dublin is Strandhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 airtommy

Strandhill in sligo? Thats about three and half hours away. Unless theres another strandhill nearby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Great thanks for that guys. Is there anywhere that you can go to for predictions on mather mor? Would i be right in saying mm is probably the best spot near to dublin?

It's so fickle that you need to put some time in a figure it out. Best thing you can do is learn to forecast it for your self. A good starting point is to get a book called surf science

http://tinyurl.com/26u9k87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Its quite simple

I would rather take one full day off work and surf on the west coast than take a half day off work and surf mm

I know plenty of people that head to sligo for a single session and than head home, roads make the journey about 3hrs each way and you don't have to contend with crap waves, water or a bloody long lane with a gate

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Killers FTW - heaviest beach break in Ireland (1-2 days a year), rocks in the barrels followed by a slam dunk on the shore + entry and exit is like base jumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

If you look at the reacent weather section on met.ie and look at the M2 Buoy you can see the swell size and what the wind is doing. Also look on marine.ie it needs to be 2m or more generated by a south wind.

If there is swell from the north MM is very dangerouse.

Why is a north swell dangerous in MM, and do you know if its better on high or low tide? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Search for old threads if you want more detail on MM. Simple, dangerous cos if you're a beginner you'll be blown onto or out past the headland!

Check M2 bouy for east coast forecast.

From Dundrum - Strandhill 2h 10, Lahinch 2h 40, Streedagh 2h 30, Bundoran 2h 40. Well worth the drive to all as the roads are all good these days (except Gort to Lahinch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Search for old threads if you want more detail on MM. Simple, dangerous cos if you're a beginner you'll be blown onto or out past the headland!

From Dundrum - Strandhill 2h 10, Lahinch 2h 40, Streedagh 2h 30, Bundoran 2h 40. Well worth the drive to all as the roads are all good these days (except Gort to Lahinch)

It's not the distance that bothers me, in fact I like the drive. But to get out before/after work during the week is a major plus to get me geared up for the weekend :)

btw, hurricane danielle should be bringing some swell into the dublin wicklow way by late thurs/early friday onwards. Better of heading west though during the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

2 hrs 40 to lahinch???
    in what a delorian?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

I surf east coast a lot, and that swell isnt southerly enough to wrap in around to even C-Town or other wexford spots! I work on the road so have my meetings arranged for Kerry & Clare next 2 days! Looking promising.

Dublin to Gort via Loughrea = 1hr 40 (cross country via Corofin to Lahinch = upto 1 hr). I've done it quicker at 6am when less chance of penalty points. Before the motorway used to take bout 3h 15 same route.

Happy hunting next few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Do you reckon it might be good this weekend?looks pretty small though no?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

baaaa wrote: »
    Do you reckon it might be good this weekend?looks pretty small though no?

Conman I think your travel times might be a bit off! but your giving the guy a general guide so I'm not gonna hop on you back.

Baaaa: If your talking about east coast this wknd - it does not look likely.

It seems to be a predominately west south west swell coming in. The wave period is looking pretty good for the wknd and the winds are pretty favourable. I'd suggest ya check out Lahinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

CRenegade wrote: »
    Conman I think your travel times might be a bit off! but your giving the guy a general guide so I'm not gonna hop on you back.

Baaaa: If your talking about east coast this wknd - it does not look likely.

It seems to be a predominately west south west swell coming in. The wave period is looking pretty good for the wknd and the winds are pretty favourable. I'd suggest ya check out Lahinch.
    Thanks,was gonna try strandhill area but will go the extra bit to lahinch if it's more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

If your on magic seaweed go onto detailed forcast and then you'll get what the waves will be reaking at.Ive never been to this place in wicklow bit I live on the east coast and i've surfed 6 footers in portmarnock beach county dublin during october is the best and you'll get waves every 2 or so weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Was out in Magheramor at the wknd...Sunday was decent for about an hour until a seal tried to mate with me. Tomorrow (Sat) and during the week could be good aswell. When brittas bay gets going it can be really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

This Thursday and Friday look good for Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Never trust the forecast more than one day in advance. It usually drops by 90% from five days forecast. And reality is usually even bleaker. But fingers crossed, I want to get to water next weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Any of you ever see If you could wake surf from a ferry/big ship heading in or out by the south wall at poolbeg? I thought there might be a clean 1 footer off some of the big tubs on a glassy day,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZu9CWEVbQ
    I'd be interested in giving it a go on the long board some summer eve if theres a spot. i used to walk poolbeg with te missus tears ago, some big enough wash off the boats if i recall , not as big as the video clips of texas tho. Anyone interested in scopeing some spots?

Advertisement