Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut up a metal water tank

• 28-07-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I have a large old metal water tank in my attic. It is massive - somebody had the foresight to replace it with a plastic one at some stage. However, owing to the size of the old metal tank, they just left it up in the attic.

I want to remove this old tank - I have no help though and it won't fit down the hatch. Don't ask me how they got it up there.

It is about three foot deep and two or three foot wide.

I want to cut it up - I have a hacksaw but that won't do the job. I don't want to get something up there that is going to send sparks flying everywhere.

Is there another type of handsaw that can be used for cutting metal?

It takes up a lot of space and it rests on the rafters so I can't double up on insulation in that spot.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A jig saw with a metal cutting blade

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

mp22 wrote: »
    A jig saw with a metal cutting blade

Now why couldn't I think of that? Finally a use for that jigsaw I have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Don't ask me how they got it up there.

It would have been installed at the time the house was being built.

It would have been installed at the time the house was being built.

Exactly, the only conclusion I could come to was that it was added before the roof went off, but I was embarrassed to suggest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea jig saw is the way to go, the steel is quite tin in these...

You'll only need to cut a few of the seams then you'll be able to fold/break the other seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

But use some oil where you're cutting to lubricate the blade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

a jig saw or a recipocol saw works great... Failing that.... use a drill to pop the rivets... failing that leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Would using a jigsaw throw up any sparks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

jumbone wrote: »
    Would using a jigsaw throw up any sparks?

No.

Howeve a Recriprocal saw would be easier to use.

I gave it a go at the weekend - impossible job altogether. Jigsaw didn't even make a dent.

Access is a problem given its location and lack of height in the loft.

So I decided to fill it up with folded carboard boxes that I had up in the attic. I might get some insulated flooring and hoist it up onto it at some stage, if I can somehow fit it in.

Looks like I'll be living with it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement