Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly Pubs in Donegal

Options
  • 28-07-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am travelling to Donegal in September for a walking holiday and I will be bringing my two Collies. They are both very well behaved dogs and I was wondering if anyone knew of any pubs that I could bring the dogs in with me.

P.S I would also be grateful if anyone could suggest any pubs with good food.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Barretts Tavern, Kilclooney, Portnoo, Co Donegal.

Dog Friendly(i think anyway)

Good food and craic

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its a big county. What part(s) will you be in or will you be travelling around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

O'Neill at the foot of the Bluestack Mountains (on the outskirts of Donegal town) would be one. Dont know about food there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CMP1976

Thanks so much for all your replies, yes I will be travelling around the whole county for a week and really looking forward to it.

It will be great to have one or two places I can stop in for a drink and bring my dogs.

Once again cheers for info

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

I've seen quite a few dogs in my local on a Sat night!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

snollup wrote: »
    O'Neill at the foot of the Bluestack Mountains (on the outskirts of Donegal town) would be one. Dont know about food there though.

Nah, there's no food in O'Neils. (if you're on about the one I'm thinking of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I would imagine that dogs and food would be mutually exclusive due to health regulations.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

sup_dude wrote: »
    Nah, there's no food in O'Neils. (if you're on about the one I'm thinking of)
    Surely, there'd only be one O'Neills, out in Drimarone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

byte wrote: »
    Surely, there'd only be one O'Neills, out in Drimarone!

That'd be the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Is this a joke?trick? A health inpsector on the prowl? Dogs and food do indeed sound mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

Durnish wrote: »
    Is this a joke?trick? A health inpsector on the prowl? Dogs and food do indeed sound mutually exclusive.
    Dogs have to eat too ;)

Right. I have been to Barretts and I have never seen anyone eating their dinner with two great big collies sitting beside them.

They do have a big cage outside, but, last time I looked. Maybe that's the dog pound?

I think the general idea is that anywhere that supplies food would certainly not allow dogs on the premises but it would be up to the customers concerned to either tie them up outside or lock them in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

This annoys me. So long as the dogs are not where the food is being prepared, why should the health inspector have any problem?
    I mean, guide dogs are allowed, so it is not a health issue.

I've been in pubs in England having a pub lunch and there was a 'pub dog' there.

Irish establishments are in general, very unfriendly towards people with dogs.
    Tying them up outside or locking them in the car are not things I wish to do with my dog.
    I've even been told that I couldn't have my dog at the picnic benches on the patio area between a (very well known Donegal) restaurant and the carpark. Come on !!

Would you expect to take your dog to a friend's dinner table?

Durnish wrote: »
    Would you expect to take your dog to a friend's dinner table?
    Yes.
    Not much of a friend if they invited me, then refused when I turned up with my dog(who would be lying peacefully at my feet) !

Would you mention the dog when you accepted the invitation?

No, and if they don't like it, then I'd be leaving again.

Would you mention you were bringing your child ?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

i agree with pique, whats the problem with dogs.

the people who own barretts tavern, are dog owners them selves and many a time i seen the dog sitting in the pub.

Ok then. Can we get back on topic again please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 lalalots

cafe magnoliea alows dogs on there porch outside, not to sure bout the bar area, and it bring your own beer , could ask bout it if u want ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lalalots

its in letterkenny

Advertisement