Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do games become rare

Options
  • 28-07-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

I picked up a copy of Dead Rising in the Collectors tin/ Edition for €7.99 in gamestop yesterday and I see that this game is going for €30 on ebay

The day before yesterday I was playing my friends Metal Gear Solid 3; Subsistence which he bought in gamestop for €10 euro on the account that it's worth alot more. $90 here and it's PAL format so it's the same thing.

Anyone know why these are worth so much? Obviously MGS isn't made anymore so that would contribute to it's value but is there anything else?
    Would love to see my collectors editions shoot up in value :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its generally a case of availability. There will always be people who want a specific game, and if that game isnt readily available, then they will be willing to pay more for it when they see it.

Or what Menengroth™ said :P

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Ah okay, just thought there would be something a little more to it. Price of MGS is rediculous!

Such a good game though, probably worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I had MGS3:Subsistance but loaned it to a neighbour who moved to Tipperary without returning it,bad enough they beat Galway in hurling now they robbed me.I think a game becomes rare when not too many copies are made eg Twilight Princess for the Gamecube & a lot of people need it to play or for collections.The closest thing I have to a rare game is the Zelda disc for the cube that has all the previous games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The odd one out seems to be Final Fantasy VII. One of the best selling games everywhere but plenty of idiots willing to pay 80+ euros for it on ebay and driving up the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Legend of Dragoon (PS1); Mario RPG (SNES)

Both still sell for full retail or above on the 2nd-hand market. They just never published that many copies. Mario All-Stars also usually sells for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,995 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It depends what you mean by rare.

Rare in it's actual sense is when there is a very limited supply of something and it is hard/almost impossible to get your hands on. Many games are quite rare but they're not really desirable so don't go for too much. Some are more notable like Darxide on the 32X and go for a fortune.

Then there are sought after less common games. Most of these aren't really rare. Maybe a little scarce, but not rare. MGS 3 Subsitence is uncommon and highly desirable given the amount of extra content. Couple that with MGS fanboys and the price skyrockets. That doesn't make it rare though. If I go to ebay now there'll be multiple copies of it for sale. PAL Fatal Fury 2 on the Megadrive though? There'll be none. (Maybe one battered copy that keeps coming up) Megaman: The Wiley Wars, probably none again. The truely rare games are the ones you just never see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Castlevania games seem to get rare quickly too, Symphony of the Night went for silly money on eBay until it came out on XBLA and PSN. I've been looking for the PSP Castlevania for a reasonable price for a while now.

Master of the Universe

SOTN isn't rare at all..it's just a bit uncommon and suffers from the above high demand I was on about. People then take advantage of this and stick stupid prices on it. Shop around. I did and got my copy for about 45euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Supposedly Star Trek Armada II is very rare now and would provide a nice return on investment. Wont be parting with my copy though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

WilliamOC wrote: »
    I picked up a copy of Dead Rising in the Collectors tin/ Edition for €7.99 in gamestop yesterday and I see that this game is going for €30 on ebay

The day before yesterday I was playing my friends Metal Gear Solid 3; Subsistence which he bought in gamestop for €10 euro on the account that it's worth alot more. $90 here and it's PAL format so it's the same thing.

Simply because somebody is attempting to sell Dead Rising for €30 or MGS for $90 doesn't mean that they will get a buyer. It will be interesting to see if the chancer selling MGS will get any bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

o1s1n wrote: »
    SOTN isn't rare at all..it's just a bit uncommon and suffers from the above high demand I was on about. People then take advantage of this and stick stupid prices on it. Shop around. I did and got my copy for about 45euro :)

But the PSP and, even moreso, the second and third GBA games are pretty rare. That's why the GBA double pack was released, wasn't it? Castlevania seems to be kind of a cult series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah Konami only did one print run of the GBA games. Used to have a friend in Konami that could get me games for free. Forgot about Aria of Sorrow and asked him a day after release if he could send me a copy and even he couldn't get me one. People realised how good they were later on and the demand sky rocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RopeDrink wrote: »
    From what I heard in the past (And I mean very past) C64 games where going to become antique/collectors a long time ago. I still have about 600 of them in my attic along with ZX Spectrum 64/128k games, Amiga 500 and a working NES with tonnes of games all stocked up around the house.

To be honest I think that tapes and floppy disks are too fragile and prone to data loss and aging to ever be collectable. Most of them simply won't run in 20 years time. Solid state cartridges and CDs/DVDs may be a different story but it's very hard to see when a game will become collectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Some games can reach over 10k.
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/holy-grails-of-console-game-collecting-2.html

It's often games which are revoked with limited quantities that get ridiculous prices. There's been a few cases of this over the time, where people have found games that became famous for various reasons. One that I noticed myself was when Limbo of the Lost got attention and was revoked, the prices on ebay rocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have a copy of John Romero's Daikatana here somewhere. Im hoping that in years to come, it will be quite rare and sought after as a novelty item which gives people a good idea how shít one game really can be! Then I will cash in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The further we go into Game Generations the less I think we are to find any Games becoming rare collector items particularly with the success of XBLA & PSN they could be just
    re-release them or do the whole HD Remake Retail Release.Older Handheld games may get rare & Nintendo's back catalogue due to the Fact they're not really embracing WiiWare with Regular Releases.

Master of the Universe

Monotype wrote: »

Welllllllllll over 10k. A sealed Stadium Events sold back in feb this year for $41,300.

Does anyone remember what that boxed Air Raid went for? I think it was about $12,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

o1s1n wrote: »
    A sealed Stadium Events sold back in feb this year for $41,300.

I was trying to find that but I couldn't remember the name of it! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

When there are exactly 6 left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

When even the most inconspicuous, inanimate object in a game becomes anthropomorphised by sticking googly-eyes on it, and then the developers forget to release any good games for almost a decade. :p

Advertisement