Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hundred mile week dream.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

thats only down the road from Mallow, just keep running past the finish line to the Stadium. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    Are you heading to Mallow for the 10M on the Sunday with the bunch on the train?

Are you getting the train in the end? If so I can send you our seat numbers so you can book beside us....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

No. I am heading to Parc Ui Chaoimh for the Tipp Cork game at 2:30.

Pfft, thats only a meaningless league game, wait for the real thing on May 29th in Thurles. You must be tempted to hop off the train in Mallow on Sunday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

I was looking at the race all right until I saw that it was on at 12:30 and that was about an hour too late for me to get into the match.
    I have a few hurling season tickets that I need to get registered at the match if I am to be guaranteed my all ireland final tickets this year.
    If we get there that is!

Wed Track

I was hoping for 3:30 per interval but couldn't quite manage it. Still it was nice to meet some of the other members of the club and there was quite a few people out.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you getting the train in the end? If so I can send you our seat numbers so you can book beside us....
    Dont want to Hijack the thread, but driving down on the Saturday night and staying in Cork for a few days. I'll be working in Cork on Monday and Tuesday, so works out handy. ;)

• Advertisement

I was hoping for 3:30 per interval but couldn't quite manage it. Still it was nice to meet some of the other members of the club and there was quite a few people out.

Hvae you joined Newbridge?

Thurs Run

This was a bit of a tempo run with 3 fast miles in between warm up and down miles. I couldn't quite get the 2nd of the fast miles under the 8 min but that dd contain the Liffey Hall hill so thats okay.
    I felt the affects running for the 5th day in a row for the first time in a long while and will enjoy the rest tomorrow.
    I am off home so I don't know what I will get done but I hope to get 2 runs in. Hopefully the weather holds up for the weekend.
    The training schedule will be upped between now and July as I prepare for the Port 100k. Any marathons from here on in are training marathons as I try to build up a good endurance base and up my long run speed up to 9 min mile pace.
    I will still be doing a track session every Wednesday but the emphasis will be on long weekend runs from here on in. I will try to get to as many races as possible as well to break up the training slog.
    I will have some idea of what shape I am in after the Conn Ultra.

18 miles on Saturday morning around the roads at home. I found the distance easy enough but I did find it tough enough to keep the pace steady around the 9 min per mile mark. I averaged around 8:50 and I was quite comfortable.
    I did not get out for a run on Sunday morning and then when the garmin connect site keeps stuck on the uploading symbol when I try to upload it.
    So I am looking forwards to the long bright evenings now that summer time is here.

LSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks. It will be the Ultra. Even though I probably shouldn't I will.:rolleyes:
    What are you up to next? You doing the Kildare half? I thought you said so but can't be sure.

Ultra, nice one. Any time in mind for it?

Taking it easy with the return myself but yep hoping to do the Kildare half - great race last year.

How was match yesterday? You should have gone to see a classier match like Clare v Westmeath :rolleyes:

I did not get out for a run on Sunday morning and then when the garmin connect site keeps stuck on the uploading symbol when I try to upload it.

That was happening to me too yesterday, I thought i had a dodgey internet connection. I'll have to try it again now to upload my stats.

• Advertisement

Mon Short Run

I was going to do a 6 to 8 miler but I got a call from the brother for a bit of help so I had to cut it short and run it a bit quicker than I wanted to.
    Still it is nice that the evenings are lengthening and it not raining. This would be ideal weather for Connemara but it will probaby by too sunny again.

shazkea wrote: »
    Ultra, nice one. Any time in mind for it?

Taking it easy with the return myself but yep hoping to do the Kildare half - great race last year.

How was match yesterday? You should have gone to see a classier match like Clare v Westmeath :rolleyes:

Turning the clock back there for Clare and Westmeath. That was a division 2 fixture when I was a youngster. The more things change the more they stay the same eh?:D
    First half was poor and the second half was a bit better but neither team was close to what they will be in 8 weeks. Winner of that plays Clare so I'm sure that it will be flat out then.
    I haven't done the training that I should have to run a good Ultra. So less than 7 hours would be good and anything less than 6:40 will be a PB.
    Kildare was brilliantly organised last year so I am sure that it willb e as much fun this year. Starts and finishes in the Curragh this year as well.

Wed Speed Session?

Okay. It might be stretching it a bit to call it a speed session but I didn't get home until 7:40 and didn't get out until well after 8 so I couldn't use the Newbridge track. Its difficult to do long distance intervals on the footpaths and roads when it is dark. Running on roads with a light is too dangerous with unseen potholes and such and running on the footpaths means you have to swerver around pedestrians and stop for traffic.
    So it wasn't that bad a session. Next week I will be home at 6 so I will be on the track in broad daylight which is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Wed Speed Session?

Okay. It might be stretching it a bit to call it a speed session but I didn't get home until 7:40 and didn't get out until well after 8 so I couldn't use the Newbridge track. Its difficult to do long distance intervals on the footpaths and roads when it is dark. Running on roads with a light is too dangerous with unseen potholes and such and running on the footpaths means you have to swerver around pedestrians and stop for traffic.
    So it wasn't that bad a session. Next week I will be home at 6 so I will be on the track in broad daylight which is always nice.

I think I might have seen ye last night judging by the time you where out, orange high vis jacket? Flew past myself and the better half out for a walk if it was

ronnie085 wrote: »
    I think I might have seen ye last night judging by the time you where out, orange high vis jacket? Flew past myself and the better half out for a walk if it was

Maybe. I had the orange Barca marathon tshirt on over a long sleeve underarmour shirt. All under what can only be called a big head of hair.

Thursday Run

As part of extending the milage I am going to try running on the Thursday night again. I did 9.5 miles tonight. I had meant to do 10 but by the time I got to the Curragh roundabout I decided to run to top of the field opposite the race track and turn back there. Theres a nice tarmac track up the middle of it and I just about hit 4.5 miles when I had reached the end of it. I was happy with the pace and was fine with it which is a good sign.
    I won't be tapering for Conn so I have 20 miler planned for the weekend and hope to make this my first 50 mile + week for quite a while.
    Thats 21.5 so far this week so a handy run on Sunday with a few miles tomorrow should do it.

Sunday Long Run

This felt good. I didn't go out too fast and was comfortable at a pace of around 9 min so I think that I will go out at that pace next Sunday. Mind you there was one long break after 3.5 miles as I had to stand in for a group photo.
    I expect to blow up at some stage but hopefully I can get to Leenane in around 4:00 to 4:05 and then see what happens for the last third.
    The one thing I don't want next Sunday is the sun. I have never ran well when it is warm.
    Should I retire the Tipp jersey and switch to a singlet or a technical shirt?
    It didn't help in Barca when the temperature went up.
    And the Galway folk might think that I was winding them up after todays result.:D

Mon Recovery

This was a nice run. I got caught at the lights at the bridge on the first mile but after that I was able to keep the pace at just under the 9 min mark.
    I don't know if I will taper or just run a normal week for the next few nights. I think I will just rest on Friday and Saturday and do a run for the next 3 nights.

Tuesday Roseberry Loop

A lovely evening for a run. I felt a bit stiff starting off but that was gone after the first mile. I ran a bit quicker than I should. My long term goal is to get my easy pace up to 9 min miling over the next few months.

Mon Recovery

This was a nice run. I got caught at the lights at the bridge on the first mile but after that I was able to keep the pace at just under the 9 min mark.
    I don't know if I will taper or just run a normal week for the next few nights. I think I will just rest on Friday and Saturday and do a run for the next 3 nights.

A bit of company for me along the road so, until you do one of your mad power walks up the hills :D

I think that you are well past me now in terms of pace and endurance. I expect to trail in your wake this Sunday.

• Advertisement

I think that you are well past me now in terms of pace and endurance. I expect to trail in your wake this Sunday.

I'm planning to go out at 9 min miles in the hope I'll have the pace still in the legs when the hills start at 26M, Not planning on going out too fast again this year. :rolleyes:

Wed Track Session

I did 6x400m with a target of 1:40 per 400m with about a 250m jog RI.
    Not too hard and a bit of warm down of a few laps and a few breaks to chat with other runners.
    I might get out for a 5 mile run tomorrow but I might just leave it at that for now too and just pack the bag for the weekend.
    I just checked the weather for Galway for the weekend and it is looking ideal. Nice and cool but then we were promised something similar for Barcelona and it hit 21 degrees there.

I'm reading all kinds of reports for Galway weather from heatwave to rain. Guess I'll just have to pack everything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Do you have to pay for extra baggage on the train, like on ryanair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck on Sun - I expect a good report after!

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sun - I expect a good report after!

Well I am very good at talking about my running and it will be long as well.
    Whether this makes for a good race report is a different matter which others can judge.

I am just overpacking for the race now. I always end up with a tonne of unused gear at races in Ireland whereas on the foreign trips I am able to make do with just the one carry on bag of luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well I am very good at talking about my running and it will be long as well.
    Whether this makes for a good race report is a different matter which others can judge.

I am just overpacking for the race now. I always end up with a tonne of unused gear at races in Ireland whereas on the foreign trips I am able to make do with just the one carry on bag of luggage.
    Yeah im packing double what i usually pack for the foreign races. Its nice to have a choice of running gear or even casual gear to go around in. Good luck Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yup same here, ridiculous amount of gear being packed :)

• Advertisement

As some of you already know, Sarsefieldrock (Eddie) who brilliantly complete the Connemara Ultra on Sunday had a serious accident on the Sunday night and is in a very critical condition in the Galway ICU.

I think it would be appropriate for all his friends and running comerades to give him some encouragement and support here and I will be able to get the messages to his bedside and read out to him. I know he'll appreciate them

Come On Eddie, you tackled some of the toughest races and challenges in the last few years. You can get through this!!!

Advertisement