Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

william of orange

• 28-07-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

how can I find the soldiers that served under william of orange in Ireland

my surname married into the darassus family in Dublin in 1715.

elias and john darassus were soldiers in the army under him

were there robinett's under him as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Id take a guess at The National Archives of Ireland : http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

Or the UK? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

wjrobin64 wrote: »

Once heard that someone knob like a Lord Dunboyne or something, sent two of his sons to fight for William and the other two for James. Obviously hedgeing their bets, but it just went to show how the Battle of the Boyne had no real ideological beliefs but just the yuppies of the day jockeying for power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Once heard that someone knob like a Lord Dunboyne or something, sent two of his sons to fight for William and the other two for James. Obviously hedgeing their bets, but it just went to show how the Battle of the Boyne had no real ideological beliefs but just the yuppies of the day jockeying for power.

Wtf has that got to do with his question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Thats just rude. I for one found it an interesting sidenote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Actually that Unrelated but interesting Sidenote reminds me of another interisting tale along those lines, During the Battle of Goffsbridge in 1798 the good people of Horetown house Gave Refuge and Medical aid to the 'Hessian' Mercernaries in the main house whilst extending the same favours to the Rebels from the Stables ;)

Altho I doubt its all that unusual for people to hedge their bets, Twould make for an interestin topic in the 'Politics of War' Forum

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Actually that Unrelated but interesting Sidenote reminds me of another interisting tale along those lines, During the Battle of Goffsbridge in 1798 the good people of Horetown house Gave Refuge and Medical aid to the 'Hessian' Mercernaries in the main house whilst extending the same favours to the Rebels from the Stables ;)

Altho I doubt its all that unusual for people to hedge their bets, Twould make for an interestin topic in the 'Politics of War' Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Zambia232 wrote: »

i agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Zambia232 wrote: »

+1 Agreed. These little snippets make interesting reading, no matter your stand on whichever side of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

wjrobin64 wrote: »

Your best bet may be to contact an orange lodge or organisation like

http://www.orangenet.org/loiusa/

surely they'd have an idea if anyone had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Patsy - yer gas, you know that?:) I've often thought you have an interesting contribution but you have a hellva way of wording things....

• Advertisement
Advertisement