Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting As An Outside Subject

• 28-07-2010 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I would like to have a 6th HL Subject. My teacher is doing an Accounting Class once a week in September (5th year) just wondering if I did this class and did between 6-8 hours a week could i get a B2 or more?

I did JC Business and got a B.

Any replies welcome

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What is the teacher's class for? Is it for people wanting an extra subject? How long is the class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

accounting is all about practice and understanding the basic rules, (i just did acc for the lc and i would have done one question a day, more at the weekend!) if you are willing to commit to 6-8 hours a week for 5th and 6th year then i'd say it's likely you could get a B or higher. however accounting for the jc is completely different to the lc, just to warn you, so don't base your decision on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

You will get on fine doing that! I also did accounting as an extra subject, just had an hour and 45mins a week of a class. We covered the whole course in fifth year and again in 6th year by Patricks day.

Id say in fifth year I would have done way less study than you are planning on, but my teacher was excellent. I would have upped it to 5/6 hours a week after the Pres in 6th year and I am hoping for an A2 or A1. However, it all depends on the person. It is a great subject and I would say go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Yeah the class is for between 3-8 people wanting accounting as a subject.

The 8 people wanted to do it as a subject but there wasnt enough peolpe interested in the subject.

It's 1 hour a week i think, but it could be 1.5 hours.

The teacher is good and the class size quite small, we will be using the books Accounting For Senior Cycle-Christy Tyrrell and Revise Wise Accounting, it is quite cheap too at only 11.50 for an hour,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You should be fine as long as you do the work at home. Accounting is all about practiced. I loved the subject but it was very time consuming.

Keep up the work in Accounting as you go along. You can't cram accounting like you can with other subjects, as there is simply no way of reducing the amount you need to know. Practice past questions until you are blue in the face. Concentrate on the more difficult questions as you get nearer the exam, e.g. 2008 Sole Trader a/cs, 2009 Cash Budgeting, 2010 Service Firm, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

icon4.gifAvoid leaving cert accounting unless the teacher you have for the time period is exceptional,I have done accounting in 5th year & the teacher was awful,he would leave us into the classroom & walk off too sit on the steps outside & have a cigarette out of a class of 22 in 5th year summer exams 19 got below 9% in the exam !!!icon8.gif
    I also got an A in junior cert business,as many others in the class did!
    But hey don't let me discourage you.icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6 graviton

I took up accounting as an external subject in january of my leaving cert year. With a excellent grinds teacher and a hour a day for the 4 months, I got a B3 in higher would have done better only for a cash flow question! So its well worth taking it up! If your round the midlands I could pm you the teachers details because she was brilliant!

So you all think it could be managable?.

The subjects I am doing are Irish OL English HL Maths OL French HL Business HL Geography HL Music HL Accounting HL & LCVP.

I think i would have the time as I flew through OL JC Irish achieving an A and got a C in HL Maths JC, and we covered a lot of the pass course in TY.

I have Revise Wise Accounting, could anyone give me some tips to start learning some now what should i learn the layouts of Final Accounts?

once you are willing to put in the time and effort you will be able to achieve a high grade. if you want to start learning now, this could be quite difficult as a teacher needs to explain most topics. in our school we never did the q1's so if you are going to start learning those make sure your teacher does those in her class. i tried teaching myself the q1's in 5th year and found this very difficult, as no revision book explained it well enough, i ended up not doing this question in the end!!

and to be honest the revision books aren't great for learning more topics, they don't explain accounts or where certain figures came from or why you have to do a certain step, they just give you extra q's when you have done all the exam paper q's!

So is there any Q i could start teaching myself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

So is there any Q i could start teaching myself?

You could try and have a look at the pass trading profit and loss account (only if you liked this q at junior cert as you can avoid it if you want), and try make your way through the workings. You'd need a really good revision book or help off the internet with them as some are quite complicated and needed to be explained by the teacher.

An even easier one to teach yourself (I think) is question 5, the interpretation of accounts. Its all theory and no real accounts, apart from some ratios to work out, so if you had some good notes to work out of its all memorising things.

the easiest questions to grasp would be the depreciation q or the revaluation of fixed assets question, which are both 60 marks, we started with these in 5th year. revise wise is the best revision book out there as the questions are laid out well with all the relevant theory. again the problem with the q 5's is that a lot of teachers don't do this question as it is very hard to get above 80 marks. we didn't do this question in school, even though we are a very capable class, most would be expecting b1's or a's. don't worry too much about starting accounting during the summer, just concentrate on having a good summer as the workload in 5th year is very demanding!

Thanks guys i will go over Revaluations and Fixed Accounts sometime anything else?

Advertisement