Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade my i5 - SSD

Options
  • 28-07-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Got some money for my bithday and have been told to spend it on something useful! Don't really want anything atm and so the only thing it leaves me to spend it on is the pc. I know...tough life:p

Current specs are -
    i5-750
    4gb
    Freezer 7 - Pro
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    Corsair TX650
    HD5770
    F3 500GB
    Thermaltake V3

I was contemplating a SSD. I'm currently on win7 32bit but I get all the MS OS's free in college so it could be a good excuse to changeover to 64bit. Although the change over would probably be negligible with my uses. Mainly Steam aka Source, internet and a little video/photo editing. I considered upgrading the GPU but I don't play enough new games for it to make sense atm.

And body have any experiance with SSD's and any recommendations? - I keep hearing Intel - And are they that much quicker in day to day use or do you have to be running some fairly hefty programs?

Might have a look at the corsair H50 too but it would probably be a tight squeez in my case. We only just managed to fit one in my friends coolermaster 300 with some nasty mods!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Intel followed by OCZ are probably two of the best around at the moment, I think 30Gb is a bit too tight even for just an OS install so would look at either the 40Gb Intel X25-V for roughly 110 euro or the 60Gb OCZ Vertex for about the 150-160 mark. The 80Gb Intel X25 is a great drive may be a bit too pricey at around 220.

Have not read all that great reviews about the entry level Kingstons or Corsair SSD drives so I think would steer clear to be honest even though their 60Gbs are priced considerably less than the vertex (Quite close to the price of the 40Gb intel in fact).

Advertisement