Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent not turning over and no dash lights???

• 28-07-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi guys, if anyone could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

I have a Hyundai Accent '99 1.3, It hasn't been driven for over 8 months. I tried to start it last week and got lights on the dash but it wouldn't turn over let alone start. It jumped fine from another car, so i suspected the battery was dead. I replaced the battery today, and when I tried to turn the key I got a lights on the dashboard, and a split second of what sounded like it wanting to turn over, but then nothing. Now after doing that once it has no lights on the dash, and wont turn over. Turning the key does absolutely nothing....

Any ideas or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Check the connections on + and -the battery, is the battery
    in good nick,fully charged.
    If so i'd then check the fuse's under the bonnet and any within the car.
    Some of them might have blowen while you were trying to start the car
    earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

mecanoman wrote: »
    Check the connections on + and -the battery, is the battery
    in good nick,fully charged.
    If so i'd then check the fuse's under the bonnet and any within the car.
    Some of them might have blowen while you were trying to start the car
    earlier.

Hi mecanoman,

Yeah, the terminals are correct, the battery is brand new and is reading fully charged on a voltmeter. All fuses seem to be in working order, non broken, continuity in all of them.

I assume it may have something to do with either the starter or maybe the ignition switch itself. I'm thinking the latter as if it was the starter surely the dash lights would still show up when turning the key.

I'd next check the ignition switch/barrel. I once had a dodgy ignition

barrel, had to take off the steering cover, turned out to be a loose

connection ignition itself. The thick black earth in my case.

If no joy check some of the relays and larger

amp fuses. I've blown a few of them in the past too. Hope that helps.

mecanoman wrote: »
    I'd next check the ignition switch/barrel. I once had a dodgy ignition
    barrel, had to take off the steering cover, turned out to be a loose
    connection ignition itself. The thick black earth in my case.
    If no joy check some of the relays and larger
    amp fuses. I've blown a few of them in the past too. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the last few mins I decided to put the old battery in, and what do you know the Dash lights are back on, and everything electrical is working, but alas when turning the key it's making a repetitive clicking noise and not turning over....

starting motor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

if you put the new battery back in agin do you get the same no lights etc the battery might not be charged i no you checked it with a multi metter but it should still say 12 volt on the meteor even if the battery is dead

• Advertisement

Just checked the new battery again and its reading 8.3 volts?? The original is actually showing 11.7 volts. The dash lights are on, and lights, wipers, etc. work with the original, but when i try to start it there's just a repetitive clicking sound, and no turning over. I'm going to try and jump it in an hour or so when i get leads from a friend. If it jumps okay that should rule out the starting motor wouldn't it?

I don't understand why the new battery is giving me nothing.... maybe a bad battery?
    Is there any way to check a battery besides it's voltage, using a multimeter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If you jump it and it starts you no your starter is fine i think you just got a bad battery a trickle charge and it will prob be fine or try jump it with the new battery in it might need to leave the jump leads on it for a bit for the battery to get a bit of power then bring the car for a spin to charge up the battery or bring the battery back and get a new one should be a 2 year guarantee on new car batterys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Maybe there is something left on in the car draining the battery.

Light in the boot for example.

Try and charge the new battery again.

Either a battery charger.
    Or put the new battery back in jump leads from a good car and give it a good drive to charge up the battery.

The clicking noise is the solenoid on the starter pulling in probably not enough power in the battery to turn the engine. If you put your meter on the battery while someone tries to start the car you will see the voltage drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sounds to me like your new battery is defective.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your new battery is defective.

Yeah I hope so. I'm gonna bring it back and get another tomorrow. Fingers crossed that's all it is. I'll post the outcome when I get it

• Advertisement

Hope it is the battery after all, think Halfords givea 3 or 4 year warranty.

Handy to have cause i found the last hard winter we had killed a lot of car

battiers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

does the car have an immobiliser?

If so, lock and unlock the car a few times before trying to start it again.

All fixed. The battery I bought was faulty, and I got it replaced today. Car's running grand now. Thanks for all the feedback anyway guys :) Much appreciated

Advertisement