Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsoliceted sales people, free papers etc

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I put a sign up on my letter box saying

No flyers, no free newspaper, no door to door sales

It works a charm!! Someone took it down (maybe just some kids) and I can feel the difference, The hassel merchants and crap coming through my letterbox is back. I'm going to make another. I just wanted to say, it really improved my quality of life when I had it up;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Very true, I noticed recently whilst looking after my neighbours house while they were away, the amount of rubbish piled up in their hallway was disgraceful.. We'd get max 1 a day with our sign on the letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Ive never understood why people put those notices up, is it so bad to get the flyers etc in? I know 90% goes straight into the bin but somtimes special offers and interesting local stuff comes through which makes up for the rest of the crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd add "...and I have no spare clothes either" to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Greaney wrote: »
    I put a sign up on my letter box saying

No flyers, no free newspaper, no door to door sales

Best to put it in the usual foreign languages too
    Just for the people delivering these leaflets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I like my free pizza coupons!!!!

Meh, some of it goes straight in the bin. But I always check the supermarket one's for drink offers etc... Plus, once needed a Skip bag, got one nearly half the price that we found on one of the leaflets!

Handy buggers. And if i don't want them... I bin them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ive never understood why people put those notices up, is it so bad to get the flyers etc in? I know 90% goes straight into the bin but somtimes special offers and interesting local stuff comes through which makes up for the rest of the crap!
    yes but then I have to pay to dispose of their unwanted crap, or it takes up space in the recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm a natural hoarder and keep stuff 'just in case'. I was drowning in free newspapers (at one point there were 4 coming in the door a week!!), and all the door to door sales men were driving me dementied:eek:. I never had so many people call to the door to get me to change my phone company. at one point, about three years ago, it was one or two a week. Because we were a new estate we got all the door to door furniture sales people, dodgy DVD sellers, lawn mowers, services providers....and so on.

The local kids know I'll sponser them in a shot, all being siad.

And just like the previous poster said, I had to pay to dispose of it all. I don't miss them, I don't need special offers, I don't want to buy any more crap, I've a house full:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

What do you do when the people delivering the sticker for clothes collections put the sticker in your gate handle and don't bother putting it in your letterbox? That really bugs me as I have to go back to the Green bin to throw it away. I would pay good money to watch two rival gangs slug it out on my road in a row over a bag of sh1tty sheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ive never understood why people put those notices up, is it so bad to get the flyers etc in?
    My parents are away at the moment and I call up every few days, to move the car and do different curtains etc, the amount of stuff in the door is shocking, same in my house but I clear it each day. Its a great sign for burglars, there is a house around the corner from me with a window under the postbox, the stuff is piled up a few foot high, you would think the assholes posting it would cop on and stop.

I do like the 10% of stuff that is of interest, but I suppose many would do without the 10% of stuff rather than suffer 90% crap.

There was a guy in the US who signed up to every junk mail place he could, he used it all to fuel his burner for the house, free heating all year round, and a postman built like a tank from carrying it all each day!

I have had no doorbell for the last 6 years and would recommend to anybody to get rid of theirs, if I move house I will remove it if there is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

What do you do when the people delivering the sticker for clothes collections put the sticker in your gate handle and don't bother putting it in your letterbox? That really bugs me as I have to go back to the Green bin to throw it away. I would pay good money to watch two rival gangs slug it out on my road in a row over a bag of sh1tty sheets!

just leave it there until the wind blows it away

• Advertisement
Advertisement