Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International rates

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I joined o2 last month and I probably didn't put in enough research. I call the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand quite regularly.
    I briefly checked the website but when you search international rates it brings you to pre-pay without too much notification that they are the pre-pay charges.

Anyway it was roughly 35c a minute to ring Australia. Me being a bit lazy assumed it has to be cheaper with bill-pay, so I head off and sign up with o2.A couple of days later just before making an international call, I double check the rates and find out to my shock that it is 1.77 a minute peak to ring Oz and 1.31 a minute off peak.

I dig further to find out its a minimum of 54c a minute to ring the UK. Luckily o2 messed up and I got out of my 18 month contract with an extremely cheap desire. I then proceeded to check the other networks where I found meteor and three to be on a pretty even keel, while Vodafone were miles ahead with 15c a minute calls to landlines.

I picked myself up a Vodafone pre-pay sim-card and for a tenner I get up to 70 minutes to the listed places above.

Now with o2 being the "business" network how can they justify these international prices?

I've been with every network bar Meteor(which I'm moving to next month) and I've found Vodafone to be a rip off locally and on bill-pay(internationally the best), 3 were cheap in comparison to the market but I feel that it has lost out to meteor for value, but the three like home is extremely handy. I haven't had any problems with o2 but I can get more for cheaper elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Would you consider using Skype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Skype isnt always an option because of time differences, where I am etc. I try to use it as much as I can but its not always an option.

I haven't got it on my mobile yet so I suppose thats my next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Advertisement