Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health services - how does it work?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

I regularly visit NI (Belfast and Newry) and i've wondered what happens if I get ill?
    Do I go to an A&E or a GP for minor stuff like maybe an earache, bruising from falling down a pothole(:D) or for an oncoming flu for example?

I understand if I was seriously ill, i'd end up in A&E but do A&E depts entertain people with minor ailments?

If its a GP rather than A&E for minor stuff, do I have to make an appointment in advance when i'm visiting NI? (this would be useless for a sudden illness?)

Trying to find info on the web is hard. All it says that services are free to visitors from ROI and we just need ID like passport. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/entitlements/EHIC/Healthcare_services_in_other_EU_EEA_countries.html#united_kingdom

Also, what happens if you are sick outside GP hours, off to A&E then?

So anyone advise what the proper procedure is? Its confusing.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

gurramok wrote: »
    I regularly visit NI (Belfast and Newry) and i've wondered what happens if I get ill?
    Do I go to an A&E or a GP for minor stuff like maybe an earache, bruising from falling down a pothole(:D) or for an oncoming flu for example?

I understand if I was seriously ill, i'd end up in A&E but do A&E depts entertain people with minor ailments?

If its a GP rather than A&E for minor stuff, do I have to make an appointment in advance when i'm visiting NI? (this would be useless for a sudden illness?)

Trying to find info on the web is hard. All it says that services are free to visitors from ROI and we just need ID like passport. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/entitlements/EHIC/Healthcare_services_in_other_EU_EEA_countries.html#united_kingdom

Also, what happens if you are sick outside GP hours, off to A&E then?

So anyone advise what the proper procedure is? Its confusing.:confused:

the european health insurance card? that's how it works for people from the north needing medical services in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you are ill and want to see a GP you just show up and fill out a form saying you are a temporary visitor and they will treat you.

In your (pessimistic!) scenario you could go to A&E but they may refer you to an out of hours GP service. In NI and the UK in general they really discourage you from going to A&E unless it's a literal life or death matter, so I doubt they'd be very impressed with a visit for a minor ailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

My GF has been in Craigavon A+E twice with no problems, once with severe chest pains and once needing emergency dental treatment the weekend after having all 4 wisdom teeth extracted in Dublin and getting some crazy infection.

Both times she was treated no questions asked, just required details of home addresses and GP details. I'd say if you turned up to A+E with something minor they might tell advise you to sod off/visit an out of hours GP.

The GF has also had no problem visiting GPs as a temporary visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I find this post quite odd. Is there an ulterior motive behind it? Are you resident in NI or do your visits last a long time? Are you just worried that you might get a serious injury on one of your visits to Newry or Belfast? In that case A&E wil treat you.

( "Do I go to an A&E or a GP for minor stuff like maybe an earache, bruising from falling down a pothole() or for an oncoming flu for example?" )

My fist reaction would be to suggest you harden the **** up however it seems however that you are quite concerned that you might get a minor bout of illness.
    If you have a minor illness you could could go an waste A&E's time but if you want a GP you will probably need an appointment and I don't know if that is poosible without being registered with one? GP appointments could take days or a GP open clinic could involve hours of waiting. What I do know is that Belfast is about 40 mins from Newry and Newry is about 15 mins from Dundalk so you might be just as well going the ROI to get what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

I also found this post a bit weird!!!
    Maybe it has something to do with the cost of seeing a GP down south....something like 50 euros or something...and that is before you have to pay for your prescription!!! :eek: Rip-off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

el tel wrote: »
    Are you just worried that you might get a serious injury on one of your visits to Newry or Belfast? In that case A&E wil treat you.

I know that. I doubt they will ferry you back across the border:rolleyes:
    Motive is a genuine one not just for myself but for my OH who is on medication.
    ( "Do I go to an A&E or a GP for minor stuff like maybe an earache, bruising from falling down a pothole() or for an oncoming flu for example?" )

My fist reaction would be to suggest you harden the **** up

Sexist are we? No wonder mens health is in the doldrums, with advice like that.
    however it seems however that you are quite concerned that you might get a minor bout of illness.
    If you have a minor illness you could could go an waste A&E's time but if you want a GP you will probably need an appointment and I don't know if that is poosible without being registered with one? GP appointments could take days or a GP open clinic could involve hours of waiting. What I do know is that Belfast is about 40 mins from Newry and Newry is about 15 mins from Dundalk so you might be just as well going the ROI to get what you need.

Eh why should I travel so far back over the border to get treatment?

If i'm staying in Belfast, why should I break my work or holiday stay to travel back over the border to get treatment, thats ludicrous.

You know there are minor ailments which can be develop into serous ailments if not treated properly.

So some posters think you need an appointment with the GP for minor ailments and others don't.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Does the last part of your post refer to seeing a GP v going to A&E or the actual needing an appointment to see the GP? A lot of GPs have appointment-only systems (because you always know in advance when you're going to be sick right? :rolleyes:). Mine has an open surgery every morning between certain hours so I'm sure it's not the only one, and if you were in obvious need of medical attention I doubt they'd turn you away, appointment or not.

Advertisement