Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Time job and Daily Exercise

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

For those who have a full time, 6-8 hours a day job, how many hours exercise a day does your dog get on the days you work.

How many hours exercise per day does your dog get on the days you work? 31 votes

Less than 1 hour
    0% 0 votes
    1 - 2 Hours
    12% 4 votes
    2 - 3 Hours
    74% 23 votes
    3 or more hours
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Westie_Owner

antomagoo wrote: »
    For those who have a full time, 6-8 hours a day job, how many hours exercise a day does your dog get on the days you work.

I have an 8 hour a day job monday to friday but there is always somebody in my house so my dog gets plenty of freedom wheather its running around out the back garden or going on walks. If shes not walked during the day when i come in from work i take her for around 40 minutes and she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We're out for about an hour every evening for our walk, includes 10-15 minute run off leash. Then of course there's the ball throwing around the garden and general play time. She's happy out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I work in Dublin so I'm generally out of the house for at least 11 hours but my OH is at home so they get plenty of attention and get to run around the garden and such but after I get home and have the dinner the dogs get walked for about 90mins or so. At the weekends then they're brought up the mountains for a good off leash run and hike for a few hours.
    It is hard to find the time sometimes and as much as I'm ashamed to say it, some days I'm just too tired to walk them but they're the days the dogs just veg out with us in the kitchen and theyre happy as larry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I take them out for about an hour before work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

She gets three walks a day. Either the husband goes home at lunch, or I bring her to my parents (they live near the office) and I go back to bring her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm lucky in that I work shift work which means I can either walk them first thing in the morning before work or in the afternoon after work. They get an hour during the week and anything up to 3 hours at the weekend cause I tend to go further afield to give them a change of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

45 mins before work & an hour after work - best times of the day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The hound gets 30 - 40 minutes of a walk & about 10 minutes run around a field before work, which means I have to get up very early but it's worth it.

When I get home it's straight out the door for another walk that lasts 40 - 50 minutes & home to relax for a chat :pac:

He usually gets another 30 minutes of a run in a field & play some ball & fetch.

However I do get the guilts that I don't do enough but come the end of the day he's glad to get to bed before it all kicks off again so I suppose as dogs go he's doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy is 1 so we're still on 5 mins per month so 5 x 12 = 60 ;) We live beside the park so I can get a quick walk in at 8:00 and then the rest when I come home. If we're not walking out the door at 8:01 he cries lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I tend to bring him for a nice gentle walk during the day. Well for me it's a brisk walk but I know it's nothing to him! We get home and he's still bouncing off the walls.

I have problems with him going outside though, when you take the lead out he hides and shakes (and he's never had a bad experience that I know of, of course it could have been something I didn't notice) so to be honest, if I know we have somthing planned in the evening, like a mountain walk, a meet up with another dog etc I will sometimes leave the shorter morning walk. His stress isn't worth the 20-30 mins.

Evening time is his proper exercise time, OH will bring him for a jog and a swim for an hour, then a while playing off lead if we get the space, chasing the ball, he tends to be wrecked getting home.

You can't beat the exercise he gets when running around with another dog though.

Mental exercises are just as important imo and tire him out just as much as running around. If we do need to skip a days walk (it doesn't happen often but occasionally) we will spend a lot of time playing in the house.

So in all it varied from 40mins - 2hrs outdoor time and always 1hr of indoor exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

My mutt gets walked most weekday mornings. (the only morning he doesn't get a morning walk is tuesday... i play two 5 a side games on Monday night after his night time walk and getting up is bloody hard!!!) for about 30 minutes and a hour in the evenings straight after work before dinner for either of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Great to know my fellow dog owners are so devoted to their dogs!:)
    We have two dogs; one goes out to work with my partner and spends the day running around in open fields etc, and the other likes to stay home with me. I bring her for an hour long walk at lunchtime, and then she gets a run in the evening too...and spends lots of time playing with her doggy friend when she gets home. They seem utterly content with their routine, certainly hope so!

Advertisement