Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Is it just me or is there more junkies around the city centre lately. Maybe heroin has got cheaper. They are usually invisible but i seen two in the corner of car parks in the last few days. Id prefer if they stayed hidden but they are starting to shoot up in more public places and you dont want that near your home or where you park your car. Walk on a needle and it could be game over
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

you could probably get a good mileage out of this topic if its moved in After Hours. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

There have always been loads of them around. Depending on the time of day and the area you are more likely to see them or avoid them.

I'm not sure I've noticed any change in their numbers over the past 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

depends on where you are in the city tbh. Certain areas are notorious for junkies, and always have been. I dont think its gotten any worse recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Yeah there's loads around Abbey St, Talbot St.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Grupouva

I agree with the OP, its definitely got a lot worse recenly. The laneway that goes from Abbey st luas stop through to eden quy is unreal these days. Usually a group of about 25 or 30 of them in the alley and spilling out onto the street. It seems to be different types all congregating together, from older zombie-like junkies in their late 30's down to 18/19 year old tracksuited scum drinking cans of excelsior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

outside Tara Street. station has always been a bad spot, particularly for blatent dealing but lately it does seem to have become worse.

not a nice sight for anyone, but particularly tourists

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the guards have moved many of them on from Amiens Street and Marlborough Street, so they're heading towards the river. There are definitely less at the Talbot St./Marlborough St. junction these days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Maybe heroin has got cheaper.

A person would have to be using Heroin for a long time before you would know it from their appearance.. Most of the older junkies you see around town would be using since early on in life..

I read somewhere that the real hardcore ones you see around the quays are the children of the 'original' junkies from back in the 70's or 80's when heroin was first introduced to Dublin by the likes of the Dunne family.. I actually read that in a post on Boards about a year ago.. Anyone remember that post? It was very interesting..

Then again, some people use heroin and hold steady jobs and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with them at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw my first junkie shooting up a couple of weeks back, the thing was it was off focking grafton street in a doorway beside yo-sushi. Have these people no respect. It was good sushi though.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Is it just me or is there more junkies around the city centre lately. Maybe heroin has got cheaper. They are usually invisible but i seen two in the corner of car parks in the last few days. Id prefer if they stayed hidden but they are starting to shoot up in more public places and you dont want that near your home or where you park your car. Walk on a needle and it could be game over

I feel so sorry for these sick addicts, It's a pity the law cannot do more to stop the heroin dealers making a fortune..

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Interesting that the guards are moving them from Talbot St area as someone said above as i seen one fella in the car park of an apartment block not far from there. I seen the legs sticking out from behind a wheelie bin in the apartment bin shed. Never seen them in there before. Its disturbing for residents in such a public place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Is it just me or does this thread encourage you to fall asleep?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

The North Lotts was clear of junkies for about 9 months (or at least I wasn't seeing them) but since mid-May there has been a marked increase in the numbers. They've even been appearing first thing in the morning (from 7am on) which they weren't before. Something must have changed recently for such an increase to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

i think colvin has moved them all into the free zones

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jay D wrote: »

If you don't have anything to contribute - don't post & just go back to sleep.

Thanks,

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

There's a kid that begs sometimes outside Arnotts on Mary St, I've seen him knocking about town for three years or so now. I'd say he's about 16 or 17 now, and my god, he is so unhealthy looking it makes me shake when I see him. His face is grey white and yellow and he always has a joint in his hand. I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone who ends up in this situation.

Yes I do agree there are more junkies in Dublin, visibly, on the streets. I believe heroin has gotten a lot cheaper, with a lot of supply now coming from Afghanistan. Apparently the Taliban had really clamped down on it, but since the americans went in it has grown substantially again (and I;m not making a political point here, thats just the way it is).

One way or another, there is clearly a massive drug problem in Dublin, its very evident, and I'm wondering quite what has to happen for it to become an election issue. Politicians got very worked up over bloody stag hunting. Would this not matter to them a bit more?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bill2673 wrote: »
    One way or another, there is clearly a massive drug problem in Dublin, its very evident, and I'm wondering quite what has to happen for it to become an election issue. Politicians got very worked up over bloody stag hunting. Would this not matter to them a bit more?

They look after who votes for them.
    Not many of the outraged shoppers in town live there, not all who live there vote and few if any of the junkies do.

Stag hunting, now there are chaps who vote.

spurious wrote: »
    They look after who votes for them.
    Not many of the outraged shoppers in town live there, not all who live there vote and few if any of the junkies do.

Stag hunting, now there are chaps who vote.

You are spot on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Bill2673 wrote: »

Tony Gregory did some amazing work to fight the drug problem in the City. His sad death was a huge loss to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

spurious wrote: »
    I think the guards have moved many of them on from Amiens Street and Marlborough Street, so they're heading towards the river. There are definitely less at the Talbot St./Marlborough St. junction these days.

What?
    I was walking down marlboro st from eden quay and i counted over 20 of them in the vicinity of the Abbey theatre alone.
    By the tim ei'd got to the Pro cathedral i'd lost count,there must've been 60 or so in 100 yards of street.
    What makes it more sickening is the fact that t ourists regularly wander down that street either lost or taking a mooch around,what they must think of this country after witnessing these animals is anybodies guess.

Degsy wrote: »
    What?
    I was walking down marlboro st from eden quay and i counted over 20 of them in the vicinity of the Abbey theatre alone.
    By the tim ei'd got to the Pro cathedral i'd lost count,there must've been 60 or so in 100 yards of street.
    What makes it more sickening is the fact that t ourists regularly wander down that street either lost or taking a mooch around,what they must think of this country after witnessing these animals is anybodies guess.

As long as people see junkies as 'animals' rather than individuals who have had the misfortune to be born into to outer fringes of society where drug abuse is rife and a part of life and all that goes with that, and feel more compassion for a tourist who has to spend ten minutes looking at them than the junkie who spends his/her entire life in a messed up state, then how would the problem ever be solved.

sorry for getting up on a high horse about it. i have a huge sympathy for anyone who has a drug addiction, i wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ruddellmander

If ya stand at the bus stops there on eden quay you can actually see the drug dealing going on,its seriously like a scene out of The Wire. Junkie goes to the dealer,dealer whistles,junkies walks to the bordwalk to pick it up..actually so disgusting and very uncomfortable when waiting on a bus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Situation seems to be getting worse week on week. Usually in the city centre at the weekends and the last few months things have been getting worse every time. Junkies and scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I used to live at the end of temple bar just beside the Dublin Corporation building. That area and the alleyway beside my apartment block was a favourite hang-out spot for them. Some of the things i've seen over the years i lived there still make me wince any time i'm reminded of them....

The amount of dealing that went on at that bus stop beside the corporation building was crazy... Used to get a bus from there to work in the mornings and it was being dealt out in plain daylight and in no way were they trying to hide what was going on....

Glad i moved from there in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

My girlfriend used to work on an office on Talbot St, I have never been so glad when she left that job recently. It's a bloody horrible mess of a street, and I can't believe they are allowed to congregate in such a central part of the city.

Also, I'm sorry but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for these people. You can bleat on about how terrible it is but these scumbags wouldn't think twice about sticking you with a syringe. Happened to my uncle about 2 months ago, poor bastard hasn't got the all-clear yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jay D wrote: »

no, it just makes me angry that nothing is ever done about these wasters and their suppliers.

All the Gardai ever do is "move them on". An hour or two later they are back again...

should just give them a field out in them middle of nowhere and let them run riot..cos its getting to the point where its all over the city,even out as far as whitehall..seen about 4 lads off their faces comin out of a house known for dealing the other day..no pleasent to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

If ya stand at the bus stops there on eden quay you can actually see the drug dealing going on,its seriously like a scene out of The Wire. Junkie goes to the dealer,dealer whistles,junkies walks to the bordwalk to pick it up..actually so disgusting and very uncomfortable when waiting on a bus!!!

You could not be anymore correct!

EVERY morning, I pass the corner at Eden Quay and where the Abbey Theater is.
    You see them standing on the corner on watch out just dealing in full view of the public.

The issue isn't if you feel sorry for them or not, the issue is there is a SERIOUS increase in the amount of open drug dealing happening in our city and it is HORRIBLE.

The way they have ruined custom house sitting around shooting up is an outrage. Tourists have stopped me to ask where it is, its not somewhere you'd like them to see.

EDIT:
    Have you ever seen them crossing a road - ZERO FEAR haha that's the drugs for ya
    Straight across the road dont even look.

• Advertisement

yeah it is gettin very very dangerous around there.. my friend was waiting on the bus there recently and was asked if he sold drugs,he told the scrote he didnt and 3 of them threatened to kill him if he didnt sell them drugs..he said he was bricking it,luckily a garda was near and seperated them and he got the bus but was very shaken up!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement