Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ozziej wrote: »
    THEY CAME FIRST for the convicted sex offenders,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a sex offender

THEY CAME NEXT for the junkies,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a junkie

THEY CAME NEXT for the Travellers,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Traveller

THEY CAME NEXT for the Roma,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Roma

Threads like this remind me of how easily the Nazi mindset could happen in any country.

So they came for the people that dont contribute?

Sounds okay by me then.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

bugler wrote: »
    The gist of the thread is that the typical Dubliner or visitor would like to be able to walk to the boardwalk, or get off the train at Tara St., without having drug-dealing and drug use put in their face.

Exactly! I've lived here all my life and I'm pretty desensitized to it all at this stage but if my little nieces come up to Dublin from the country and I want to take them into town to the cinema I don't want them being exposed to that carry on. They shouldn't have to be, it's not fair and it's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Ozziej wrote: »
    THEY CAME FIRST for the convicted sex offenders,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a sex offender

THEY CAME NEXT for the junkies,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a junkie

THEY CAME NEXT for the Travellers,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Traveller

THEY CAME NEXT for the Roma,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Roma

Threads like this remind me of how easily the Nazi mindset could happen in any country.
    OMG those Nazis, throwing convicted sex offenders in prison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've just spent 2.5 hours this morning wandering around the city centre (mostly north side) and didn't notice any signs of junkies/dealers or any such goings on. There was a traveller having an absolute sh1t fit outside focus Ireland in Temple bar, but that was the only anti-social behaviour I noticed. Walked along the boardwalks for a while as well and saw nothing untoward.

Reading this thread you might be forgiven for thinking the city was blighted with these feckers, but no sign of them when Gaspode came to town. :)

In fact it was a most enjoyable stroll around the city, wandering aimlessly, just taking in the sights sounds and smells of my home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Gaspode wrote: »

Reading this thread you might be forgiven for thinking the city was blighted with these feckers, but no sign of them when Gaspode came to town. :)

maybe they're all off on their holidays today.. like myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Is it just me or is there more junkies around the city centre lately. Maybe heroin has got cheaper. They are usually invisible but i seen two in the corner of car parks in the last few days. Id prefer if they stayed hidden but they are starting to shoot up in more public places and you dont want that near your home or where you park your car. Walk on a needle and it could be game over

maybe, drugs have become cheaper as the head shops have increased teh competition and teh middle class are now buying their fix over the counter.
    so what if there are junkies in dublin. they keep to themselves. there is more danger from the middle class drink driving or driving recklessly that there is from needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe, drugs have become cheaper as the head shops have increased teh competition and teh middle class are now buying their fix over the counter.
    so what if there are junkies in dublin. they keep to themselves. there is more danger from the middle class drink driving or driving recklessly that there is from needles.

I think the junkies in dublin 1 need to hire image consultants.

leisurewear just doesn't do anything for them

lets encourage them to adopt a beatnik style for the men and boho chic for the women :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Gaspode wrote: »

As you'll see from this thread we're discussing an apparent Gardai clampdown on this loitering/criminality, which may explain your experience. I'm glad you didn't see them - long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe, drugs have become cheaper as the head shops have increased teh competition and teh middle class are now buying their fix over the counter

Yeah, I know loads of people who switched from heroin to bath salts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I don't know where they'll be moved on to. I also don't know how long this will last. But the word has come down that they're to be moved on.

Well them being moved on to somewhere a lot more discrete, and for them to permanently realise they'll have to move to somewhere more discrete than the boardwalk etc, that would solve a lot of the problems in this thread. If I knew that a certain out of the way area or street would be dodgy, it's a lot easier to avoid than O'Connell street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Until the guards and the justice system sort out the drug dealing problem in the country this problem with the poor addicts will only get worse, sending them to a more discrete area will not solve the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Spotted this fella trying to fly outside the Ilac. Basically when anyone passed him he put his hands out and his tongue and leaned his body to a flying position :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's a short vid of him. Should people have to put up with this clown? He maybe harmless but certainly a holy show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are treatment centers dispersed around the city centre.

Would it be an idea to setup one modern and centralized clinic out of the way down by the port? Might save a bit of money doing this.

Not trying to just hide the problem but the tourist areas are badly affected at the moment. And the business too of course who all pay rates.
    It's not hard to get down to that area. Luas goes a lot of the way.

gurramok wrote: »
    Here's a short vid of him. Should people have to put up with this clown? He maybe harmless but certainly a holy show :D

Fcucking scrote..its the middle of the day for fcucks sake..why should ordinary shoppers or people going to work or whatever have to see him..i'm sure he'd be more than a little intimidating to a woman or elderly person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

McDonalds in the Ilac - now there's a junkies hang out, the place would make my skin crawl.

There are treatment centers dispersed around the city centre.

Would it be an idea to setup one modern and centralized clinic out of the way down by the port? Might save a bit of money doing this.

Not trying to just hide the problem but the tourist areas are badly affected at the moment. And the business too of course who all pay rates.
    It's not hard to get down to that area. Luas goes a lot of the way.

It's still not a solution to the drug epidemic in the city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

AineB wrote: »
    I am quite disturbed by the amount of heartless people on this.
    Addicts are people and they do what they do because there nothing else for them.

Addiction is an illness that unfortunatly cannot be cured, once an addict always an addict. you can however change your lifestyle and behaviour which is a tough and long road to do that.

Some of these people never had a hope in life and the only thing they knew was drugs or drinking.

Alot of the older addicts from the 70's were not aware how highly addictive this drug was. some would smoke it to come off other drugs not knowing the effects..

Again down to the government to sort this out, places like merchant quay needle exchange are brilliant for them.

Im no expert at all and the above is my opinion.

I agree with you 100%; I have huge sympathy for addicts and I think no-one benefits when terms like 'scumbag' are being constantly bandied about.

Part of the reason for the drug problem in Ireland is that Irish people have never really cared about the Poor and most marginalised people in society; and judging by this thread that is largely still the case. Shift them on so that the tourists won't be upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Bill2673 wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%; I have huge sympathy for addicts and I think no-one benefits when terms like 'scumbag' are being constantly bandied about. Part of the reason for the drug problem in Ireland is that Irish people have never really cared about the Poor and most marginalised people in society; and judging by this thread that is largely still the case. Shift them on so that the tourists won't be upset.

Being an addict, poor or marginalised does not give you the right to act like an anti-social scumbag, that kind of behaviour is inexcusable regardless of chemicals, wealth or social position.

prinz wrote: »
    Being an addict, poor or marginalised does not give you the right to act like an anti-social scumbag.

I never said it did, and thats absolutely nothing to with what I said.

I'm not talking about drug addicts, I'm talking about the attitude of people towards them.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about drug addicts, I'm talking about the attitude of people towards them.

..and where do you think this attitude towards them comes from?

..and where do you think this attitude towards them comes from?

I don't know, you tell me.

It comes from experiences of people acting worse than animals. Want to act like a low life scumbag, you'll get called one and treated like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I was walking over to screen cinema yesterday evening and saw some junkie shooting up. First time I have ever seen someone actually in the process of shooting up, and this was in broad daylight! Blood everywhere. I was in shock. Not the sort of sight that should be made available to children etc.
    AineB wrote: »
    I am quite disturbed by the amount of heartless people on this.
    Addicts are people and they do what they do because there nothing else for them.

Addiction is an illness that unfortunatly cannot be cured, once an addict always an addict. you can however change your lifestyle and behaviour which is a tough and long road to do that.

Some of these people never had a hope in life and the only thing they knew was drugs or drinking.

Alot of the older addicts from the 70's were not aware how highly addictive this drug was. some would smoke it to come off other drugs not knowing the effects..

Again down to the government to sort this out, places like merchant quay needle exchange are brilliant for them.

Im no expert at all and the above is my opinion.

Any taxpayers money spent on these waste of space scumbags is a waste imo. They just terrorize women and the elderly to rob enough to get their next "fix". Maybe if people had enough intelligence not to buy a random concoction of chemicals, and inject it into their bloodstream, then maybe there would be some hope for them.

Incidentally, be it the 70s or nowadays - anyone with even half a brain would know not to buy some random mixture of chemicals on a street corner and inject it into themselves.
    The gist of the thread is that the typical Dubliner or visitor would like to be able to walk to the boardwalk, or get off the train at Tara St., without having drug-dealing and drug use put in their face.

I am liberal in my opinions on drug use, but not to the point where it impacts other people. Syringes, blood, spit, dealing drugs openly, begging and intoxication impact other people and their enjoyment of this city.

+1
    Perhaps its the fact that they intimidate and rob the vulnerable, not to mention that some of these scumbags have children out on the streets with them - do you think its fair on the kids to be on the street 24/7 seeing their parents off their faces on smack, and with no one to look after the children - not to mention provide for them.

In the majority of cases, these junkies are on the dole - so its taxpayers money buying them drugs, and tax payers money paying for the cleanup.

FWIW if I saw a junkie dying on the street, there wouldnt be a hope in hell that Id call an ambulance - waste of public money and valuable services that could go to a worthy cause and not to someone inflicting such abuse on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It comes from experiences of people acting worse than animals. Want to act like a low life scumbag, you'll get called one and treated like one.
    exactly.

Putting videos and photos of these poor sick addicks up on boards does not help with the discussion..We need to be talking about solutions to the drug problem..

JosDel wrote: »
    Putting videos and photos of these poor sick addicks up on boards does not help with the discussion..We need to be talking about solutions to the drug problem..

You're in the wrong thread. Perhaps you should start one over on the Humanities forum or something. This is a discussion on the problem as it is, right now, in the centre of Dublin.

JosDel wrote: »

Well maybe interested parties can see the extent that the problem is visible in the city centre..whethere you think they're "poor" and "sick" or not the situation is a disgrace as just about everybody on this thread seems to think.

Was on eden quay today,saw two guards patrolling but some very hurried dealing going on..one of the dealers was a woman who appeared to be in her late 60's,she got off a bus and had two people waiting for her.

It still must be said its a lot less scummy than it used to be,the presence of dey Babylon seems to be working.

Max Power1 wrote: »

Any taxpayers money spent on these waste of space scumbags is a waste imo.

FWIW if I saw a junkie dying on the street, there wouldnt be a hope in hell that Id call an ambulance - waste of public money and valuable services that could go to a worthy cause and not to someone inflicting such abuse on themselves.

Thats classy.

If it was your son/daughter/sister/brother/mother/father/friend, I'd say you'd take a different view.

• Advertisement

Thats classy.

If it was your son/daughter/sister/brother/mother/father/friend, I'd say you'd take a different view.

agree 100% with you Bill...Still have not heard any of these know alls coming up with any intelligent solutions to the situation in the city

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement