Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    That post was highly presumptuous and fairly personal (not to mention entirely wrong) pre-edit, man.

I'm an accountant, and my income's solely derived from this. I just find the topic of drugs interesting, and since it's difficult to discuss it openly in public I take it to the internet.

you're not involved with the organisation PACE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 partridge2k

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Seems very very odd. Open dealing with prams and babies under the Gardai's noses. I can't fathom it. Is it laziness on the Gardai's side?

A junkie tried to rob me on a Friday night at an ATM on Manor Street in Stoneybatter. I managed to give him a few digs and hang on to my card and cash. I rang it in to the cops who didn't seem bothered so I followed the guy and rang again and gave the gardai the guy's location in a nearby takeaway. Nothing happened. I went back to the spot and noticed there was CCTV and went into the local pub there to ask who owned the CCTV at the ATM - the bank but they were closed. I told the bar man what had happened over a shaky pint and described the guy. He knew immediately who I meant and told me to forget it as the guy was a paid informant of the cops and not in a million years would anything happen to him. I was disgusted.

Separately, a few weeks later, I went with my girlfriend to Mater A&E at 1pm on a Saturday after she had a minor car crash and we left, fearing for our own safety, at 9pm that night because junkies were being seen ahead of us - they were scaring people witless in the A&E. There was one security guard for around 20 of them and they were intimidating everyone else there who had a legit complaint. We were never seen as the list deals with severity of people admitted so on a Saturday night things were not going to get easier for the staff having to deal with the amount of people with pretty violent injuries. So we left.

In both of these cases I understand why junkies are being seen before others and that cops need paid informants but it is a little hard to swallow the preferential treatment they get because they use heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Degsy wrote: »
    you're not involved with the organisation PACE?
    LOL, now there's a comic mix-up. I had to Google them there; I’d never heard of them before.

If you include my confirmation and middle names, PACE is my initials. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There was a commotion along Bachelors Walk today, after 5PM, about 3 or 4 individuals collapsed like flies, roughly at the same time, along the lenght of the walkway, another woman up at O'Connell Street collapsed there too, twitching and vomit.

It looked drug related.

it's a very 'active' part of town at the moment, more than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

They did it to themselves. The fu*k can't I call them a damn junkie? What's next? Gambling = a guessing game? Alcoholic = a person that likes alcohol more than the average person? Rapist = someone who forgets that the person says no?

Seriously, take the PC stuff and end it. Before you had things like the animanicas and now you can't even say heck on tv or damn. I can't wait till 30 years from now and we have on the news "wanted, a human who disliked the law and chose to vent its anger by bumping into another human while holding a sharp, pointed object, thus causing the second human to have some sort of malfunction with its body".

Ten years later: human is offensive to animals and plants so we refer to humans as "things". It's going to be like that episode of south park with everyone and everythign refered to as "marklar"...

partridge2k, a paid informant... the HELL? You sure you heard the barman right?
    As for the matter thing, get over it. Most times the junkies there just get annoyed since they're "bleedin' dyin' like man"... after falling and brusing their legs. Seriously, I just hear and see them swearing and shouting, never really causing much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

partridge2k, a paid informant... the HELL? You sure you heard the barman right?
    Plenty of informants out there. The barman is probably one as well! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

As for the Mater thing, get over it.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

So the junkie had the garda protection because paid informator.....

That's nice... But does it mean that they have protection as well agaist people that will claim their own justice?

I just hope the garda will understand that there are some people that are tired of this, and they could react in different ways.... for sure not nice ways...... and for sure no one can't blaime them, I mean I will personally not call the garda if I see someone "defend" himself...... this is what they will get if they will continue to ignore this issue.

(BTW peace and love! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Amalgam wrote: »
    There was a commotion along Bachelors Walk today, after 5PM, about 3 or 4 individuals collapsed like flies, roughly at the same time, along the lenght of the walkway, another woman up at O'Connell Street collapsed there too, twitching and vomit.

It looked drug related.

sounds like they all took some dodgy drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Slydice wrote: »

or perhaps it was a flash mob :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Gabriele wrote: »
    So the junkie had the garda protection because paid informator.....

That's nice... But does it mean that they have protection as well agaist people that will claim their own justice?

I just hope the garda will understand that there are some people that are tired of this, and they could react in different ways.... for sure not nice ways...... and for sure no one can't blaime them, I mean I will personally not call the garda if I see someone "defend" himself...... this is what they will get if they will continue to ignore this issue.

(BTW peace and love! :D)

just to clarify - did the poster say he didn't bother going to the guards because a Barman told you he was an informant?

he should report it to the guards anyway .. fill out a form.. it all adds to the statistics. If this "informant" is reported doing the same thing a few times theres a better chances that he will be pinched.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

just to clarify - did the poster say he didn't bother going to the guards because a Barman told you he was an informant?

he should report it to the guards anyway .. fill out a form.. it all adds to the statistics. If this "informant" is reported doing the same thing a few times theres a better chances that he will be pinched.

I am not saying that he didn't do a good job reporting him, my concern regards the delay on the reaction on his claim. I mean he was following the guy, he even told them where they could have found him.....

the main issue is that not everyone is willing to wait to be rubbed a couple of times before see the pubblic force do something..... I mean in theory it is always better prevent and issue than solve it later....

I know for experience of situations where groups of people, started to make their own justice (i am talking about another country, never saw similar things in Dublin), and in some country are even legalized. And I repeat myself, i don't blaim their reasons, even if I blame their method.
    If who is suppose to prevent and protect doesn't do it, why the community should wait to be offended different times before see something changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Slydice wrote: »

It looked like that, some of the other 'locals' were pointing emergency services in the direction of other people that had moved on.

Each person was occupying the time of an ambulance, 2 or 3 staff and a couple of pairs of Gardaí, sadly, that's what annoyed me the most. The idea that a person, somewhere else in Dublin, might be waiting as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

or perhaps it was a flash mob :)

oh yeah :)

though 3 or 4 sounds quite small for a flash mob

sounds more likely to have been drug related

It looked drug related.

Saw a nice little tableau on marlboro st this afternoon...two cops,an ambulance,a dead-or-unconscious black woman and perhaps 40 junkies in attendence..i have no idea what was going on but it looked nasty.
    The woman in the foreground with her back to the camera is a junkie and there were dozens of them just out of camera shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Degsy wrote: »
    Saw a nice little tableau on marlboro st this afternoon...two cops,an ambulance,a dead-or-unconscious black woman and perhaps 40 junkies in attendence..i have no idea what was going on but it looked nasty.
    The woman in the foreground with her back to the camera is a junkie and there were dozens of them just out of camera shot.

big wow. you see this all the time in big cities. from my experience she is neither dead nor unconscious, just out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Fuinseog wrote: »
    big wow. you see this all the time in big cities. from my experience she is neither dead nor unconscious, just out of it.
    Seems like you're gagging to disagree with someone in this thread.

"Out of it" is not all that different to unconscious. You do see it all the time in big cities (Dublin is not a big city btw). The fact that you see it all the time doesn't make it okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

It looked drug related.

yep,

i live near a focus ireland centre and at least 3 people were taken in ambulances in the space of an hour, all looked completely stone cold gone. poor staff looked freaked. they had one guy nodding off they were trying to keep conscious. heard of another 2 at d'olier street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

It's okay lads the Gardaí have made a couple of big finds of hash, this will all be behind us soon :rolleyes:

Gardaí have made two arrests and seized drugs in an operation targeting the sale and supply of drugs in Dublin.

Last Tuesday, a van was stopped on Arran Quay in Dublin city centre, and gardaí seized 200kgs of what is believed to cannabis resin, which may be worth up to €1.4 million.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0826/breaking11.html

When was the last time they made such a big find of heroin?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

It's okay lads the Gardaí have made a couple of big finds of hash, this will all be behind us soon :rolleyes:

Gardaí have made two arrests and seized drugs in an operation targeting the sale and supply of drugs in Dublin.

Last Tuesday, a van was stopped on Arran Quay in Dublin city centre, and gardaí seized 200kgs of what is believed to cannabis resin, which may be worth up to €1.4 million.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0826/breaking11.html

When was the last time they made such a big find of heroin?

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/gardai-smash-two-drug-gangs-in-sting-127799.html
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5903&Lang=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 partridge2k

Hold on. I have no wish to be in a mob, gang or a vigilante justice collective etc etc. I hit a guy, out of fear, who tried to mug me. Just because it's not going before the courts doesn't mean that I'm going to 'find' him or anything. I'm not dialling pizzas to his house. I'm not photoshopping his head onto Brian Cowen's body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 worldclass

I asked the Dublin City Business Improvement District what the plan was for this and the response was as follows:

Hi Michael,

Regarding your query in relation to the begging and antisocial behaviour in the City Centre, there is new begging legislation before the Dail which will mean that for the first time in over two years Gardaí will be able to take action against people begging in front of businesses and ATMs etc, please see the enclosed for further details http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Criminal_law_reform_proposed_legislation however this is unlikely to come into force until the new year. Once this happens we anticipate a significant reduction in the number of people begging on the streets.

Regarding the antisocial behaviour in the city centre Dublin City BID has been working closely with the Gardaí on this issue, the month of August has seen increased Garda presence in the Talbot Street and Marlborough Street areas as part of “Operation Stilts” which has seen a higher visible Garda presence and increased “stop and search” actions, including the use of canine units, being taken against suspect drug users or dealers, there are also similar operations underway on the South Side of the city. Any antisocial behaviour, drug use, public consumption of alcohol etc that is witnessed by our staff is immediately reported to the Gardaí.

August 23rd also saw the Psychoactive substances bill brought into law, this law effectively criminalises Head shops that sell mind altering substances which has meant that head shops have been forced to close (such as those that were trading on Talbot Street, Amiens Street and South William Street), these shops were providing large amounts of dangerous mind altering drugs at relatively cheap prices and their removal should have a positive effect.

The Cedar House hostel which is located on Marlborough Street is also due to close later this year with its regular clients being moved to new accommodation as part of the pathway to home programme http://www.homelessagency.ie/Homeless-Action-Plan-2007-2010/Pathway-to-Home-2009.aspx this should have the effect of reducing the numbers of people gathering around Marlborough Street, Lower Abbey Street and O’Connell Street.

Dublin City BID also work closely with the DCC Homeless Department and the Ana Liffey Drug Project who work to get people into rehabilitation programmes and offers them a space off the streets that is safe. We are also working closely with the Luas companies in confronting antisocial behaviour around luas stops in the city centre. We have also met with the Minister responsible for Drugs policy and expressed the concern of businesses in the city that drug treatment facilities are focused in the city centre area. Research has shown that effective treatment takes place in the communities affected by drugs and not when drug users have to travel to the city for treatment. We have called for a change in this policy towards the placement of drug treatment centres.

This is obviously a gradual and slow process, problems such as begging do not have adequate laws to deal with them effectively tying the hands of the Gardaí but steady progress is being made. The new legislation relating to head shops and their subsequent closure is part of this advance and the new legislation on begging in the new year should also greatly benefit the appearance of the city centre.

Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Came across this on YouTube:

Posted by a DCC worker who was cleaning up the lane in the City Centre,274 used syringes were removed,info on the page says its 5 mins from the Molly Malone statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

was driving through town there today along the board walk 5 garda :eek: all along that stretch all at different points shifting bogeys along i was shocked never seen that many in the one spot around there, seen double alri at the GPO but the board walk ha!! never

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Seemed to be an awful lot of gards around town today.

Came across this on YouTube:

Posted by a DCC worker who was cleaning up the lane in the City Centre,274 used syringes were removed,info on the page says its 5 mins from the Molly Malone statue.

Disgusting..utterly disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

I was in town today after an exam and noticed a big Garda presence around Lower Abbey St/ Marborough St area. I was waiting for my bus at the Lotto office and there were lots of vans, lads on the beat and on the bicycles.
    Seemed to have a big impact only counted about 6 junkies around which is a lot less then normal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Friend of mine works in Mcdonalds in Ilac centre. Apparently one of the guys picked up a tissue, was a used needle inside,he didn't see it and it broke his skin, straight to hospital obviously :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Here's a question - why do you often see junkies on crutches? More often than seeing crutches on the general populace, anyway.

P.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement