Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I havent really noticed an increase or decline in them.. I would have difficulty spotting the difference between drunk and drugged though sometimes.

Saw this guy a while ago, you'd wonder what he's been on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Saw this guy a while ago, you'd wonder what he's been on!
    The big C, I'd wager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

RMD wrote: »
    How many times have you seen a junkie being violent after smoking cannabis or even having the energy to take a swing after doing Heroin? Most are in such a state if they tried to take a swing they'd floor themselves in the process.

So are people that hammered; doesn't stop either of them from trying though. Besides... since when do junkies overdose till they can't wake up and need to go to the hospital compared to the amount that just get stoned and are violent cun*ts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

^^^ got in there before me :P

According to a news report the increase in Heroin abusers has risen again since reccesion.
    Doesnt figure people losing jobs money low and they have money for heroin :confused:
    I am lucky never see them and if they are i have obviously grown selective vision:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

caseyann wrote: »

According to a news report the increase in Heroin abusers has risen again since reccesion.
    Doesnt figure people losing jobs money low and they have money for heroin :confused:
    I am lucky never see them and if they are i have obviously grown selective vision:D

I wouldn't know anything about actual street prices but from what I can gather the price of heroin has decreased/supply has increased (connected to the political situation in Afghanistan according to some reports e.g. channel 4's "war on drugs" series) in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

caseyann wrote: »

Of course it figures; heroin use has always (in recent times anyway) been linked to poverty. The people who get hooked on heroin are always the people you'd think wouldn't have the money for it (and usually don't, so have to resort to begging and/or crime).

I guess it's due to factors like depression, not having anything else to do, etc. Sure it was the last big recession in the 70s/80s that really made heroin a serious problem in Ireland and caused it to destroy entire neighbourhoods in Dublin. It's a damn shame what it has done to some communities here. The dealers who perpetuate and exploit this misery are the absolute scum of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Of course it figures; heroin use has always (in recent times anyway) been linked to poverty. The people who get hooked on heroin are always the people you'd think wouldn't have the money for it (and usually don't, so have to resort to begging and/or crime).

They're entitled to welfare, thats where the money comes from. Depending on how high the addiction is, some will rob to feed it.

I guess it's due to factors like depression, not having anything else to do, etc. Sure it was the last big recession in the 70s/80s that really made heroin a serious problem in Ireland and caused it to destroy entire neighbourhoods in Dublin. It's a damn shame what it has done to some communities here. The dealers who perpetuate and exploit this misery are the absolute scum of the earth.

Yeah but nowadays. Take up a feckin' hobby, buy a laptop for 400 euro and play games, do something. I don't understand why people say it's from poverty in this day and age. It's not, it's the junkies' own fault. They get "hooked" on it because they choose to fuc*ing take it. I can understand 10/20 years ago, sure.
    It's like kids taking up smoking now... when they get horrible health to be "cool" they deserve it. I never took up smoking, I never was a little bollocks running around smashing car windows or drinking at the canal when I was a kid.
    I might not have been very poor but I did leave in a bad area (or how I feel about it, if you lived in it, you'd know). It wasn't exactly violent but I grew up (at least I think I did) when kids where doing more than just sneaking a pint from the local.

Bottom line is if the little feckers want to ruin their lives after all the info about how dangerous it is (even worse is when they're exposed to junkies and STILL take the fecking drugs) they deserve to be called scum and treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well said Chaotic Forces. Heroin has been around on Dublin's streets for 30 years now. Todays kids know well what they are getting into by taking it.

And pulling the line like 'they're deprived' etc, most people from deprived communites became decent and never took heroin. Its a choice if you want to be a junkie at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Well said Chaotic Forces. Heroin has been around on Dublin's streets for 30 years now. Todays kids know well what they are getting into by taking it.

And pulling the line like 'they're deprived' etc, most people from deprived communites became decent and never took heroin. Its a choice if you want to be a junkie at the end of the day.

Thank you. The problem is that people are being too kind to junkies.
    I can understand drug addicts that are actual addicts. But that's probably all they know. In the last 15 years or so advances have been made. Drug dealers were being driven out of their homes by residents.
    I grew up with that. I've seen junkies myself, Hell walking through the town you see them; if I chose (not forced) to inject myself or smoke something, then I should be told by the state to fu*k off.
    "but it's so widely available", "it's not the kid's fault, it's the scumbag dealers".
    BULLSH*T.
    IT IS THE KID'S FAULT.
    "well mammy and daddy were addicts, monkey see monkey do".
    Again BULLSH*T.
    If they know their parents are ruining their lives, what do they do it themselves.
    I think anyone that takes drugs, over the age of ten (we're talking about first time users here, not actual addicts) should be made to do community service helping junkies.

I would like to point out that I have no problem whatsoever with actual addicts that have been addicted. I do have a problem with kids that either use it "sometimes", they shouldn't be allowed to use it at all.
    People are blaming drug dealers, it is not their feckin fault.
    If there weren't people wanting it, they wouldn't be here.
    Look at headshops, it's a "legal" high. It's still drugs though. Kids my age (I'm 22) are still feckin using the damn stuff, most for the first time ever because it's "like deadly bud, get you bleedin' outta your head". Yeah great, alcohol does the same, you get hangovers from it, drugs do worse but still they take it.

Anyway, to sum up: kids are idiots and need to be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

People are blaming drug dealers, it is not their feckin fault

Larry Dunne stood outside schools back in the 80s and gave youg kids free Heroin. So he was not the blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

JosDel wrote: »

Larry Dunne stood outside schools back in the 80s and gave youg kids free Heroin. So he was not ther blame.

Bollocks

JosDel wrote: »

Larry Dunne stood outside schools back in the 80s and gave youg kids free Heroin. So he was not ther blame.

That was 30 years ago. I'm talking about now. If drug dealers go down, head shops rise up. If head shops go down, something else WILL COME UP. It is not that drug dealers, head shops or whoever else are to blame; it's that kids these days are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I thought that all the recent talk and coverage of the inner city "Zombies" was all OTT until I was in town last Saturday at about 10.30am and I could not get over the sheer number of these people either stumbling about or crashed in a doorway

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Do really think that people want to become Heroin addicts?do you think that they see the walking dead in town every day of the week and think to themselves ''yeah,I want to be just like them''.Come off it.The majority of addicts have had incredibly bad lifes/upbringings and use Heroin and numerous other drugs to try and forget about them.

Punishing addicts and dealers alike has not solved the Heroin epidemic in this city for 30+ years.
    I believe that the only option left is to legalise it,much the way that methadone has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

put an end to the old fashioned bus pass and have tickets issued instead...most of the junkies are hopping on the buses into town with fake bus passes (or their being issued with real ones by the welfare)

Do really think that people want to become Heroin addicts?do you think that they see the walking dead in town every day of the week and think to themselves ''yeah,I want to be just like them''.Come off it.The majority of addicts have had incredibly bad lifes/upbringings and use Heroin and numerous other drugs to try and forget about them.

Punishing addicts and dealers alike has not solved the Heroin epidemic in this city for 30+ years.
    I believe that the only option left is to legalise it,much the way that methadone has been.

No. However, I do think people who start to take drugs should be locked the fu*k up and never let out. We all know how dangerous it is. We have all seen things. We know. If we choose to ruin our lives, then we shouldn't have freedom.

As for you "wahh I had a hard time" excuse... yeah great. It's called counselling, it helps. It's not called "ooh let's get high/hammered 24/7".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

gurramok wrote: »

in fairness gurramok the majority of people on this thread do not have an excess supply of sympathy for health/life history/life history etc. of "the average Junkie".

the problem here is : how can the problem of overt begging/dealing/abusing/misbehaving by junkies/homeless/alcos in the City centre be made "Dissapear" ?

unpalatable as it may be to some on this forum the solution to this problem is going to need to take input from the junkies themselves as well as the gardai, the business community and the public representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

That was 30 years ago. I'm talking about now. If drug dealers go down, head shops rise up. If head shops go down, something else WILL COME UP. It is not that drug dealers, head shops or whoever else are to blame; it's that kids these days are stupid.

Kids these days aren't "stupid", as you so elegantly put it. :rolleyes:

There are things called peer pressure, kids have been known to be forced into taking it in this day and age and become addicted over time. If you honestly think anyone chooses to be a drug addict, then you're a lot worse than them.

• Advertisement

Bonavox wrote: »
    Kids these days aren't "stupid", as you so elegantly put it. :rolleyes:

There are things called peer pressure, kids have been known to be forced into taking it in this day and age and become addicted over time. If you honestly think anyone chooses to be a drug addict, then you're a lot worse than them.

It's not that hard to walk away... I've done it plenty of times. I've seen other cowards just want to fit in. They deserve what they get.

It's not that hard to walk away... I've done it plenty of times. I've seen other cowards just want to fit in. They deserve what they get.

It makes me sad that you're blissfully unaware that you're ten times worse than these guys because of your trashy opinion.

It makes me sad that you're blissfully unaware that you're ten times worse than these guys because of your trashy opinion.

Yes... my trashy opinion? You mean the fact that I don't coddle little feckers that are going around smashing windows, robbing cars and doing drugs is a trashy opinion??

Yes... my trashy opinion? You mean the fact that I don't coddle little feckers that are going around smashing windows, robbing cars and doing drugs is a trashy opinion??

Congratulations on stereotyping :rolleyes:. Not all drug addicts cause harm to other people, y'know?

Congratulations on stereotyping :rolleyes:. Not all drug addicts cause harm to other people, y'know?

Congrats on missing the point of my post. ;)

Generally speaking from what I've seen and growing up in a bad area; the scumbags were scumbags and are now junkies, got what they deserved.
    Junkies are scum and for anyone to turn into one in this day and age is their own fault.

Actual addicts that need help, should get help on the other hand.

Congrats on missing the point of my post. ;)

Generally speaking from what I've seen and growing up in a bad area; the scumbags were scumbags and are now junkies, got what they deserved.
    Junkies are scum and for anyone to turn into one in this day and age is their own fault.

Actual addicts that need help, should get help on the other hand.

Have you ever examined that theory in a different perspective? Instead of the "Oh, since they come from lower class areas then they're scumbags and junkies", try "Oh, they come from a lower class area, those the areas which are targeted by drug dealers."

It's the sad truth, and it's working. Your idea that all drug addicts are scumbags is ridiculous at best.

Have you ever examined that theory in a different perspective? Instead of the "Oh, since they come from lower class areas then they're scumbags and junkies", try "Oh, they come from a lower class area, those the areas which are targeted by drug dealers."

It's the sad truth, and it's working. Your idea that all drug addicts are scumbags is ridiculous at best.

Please stop assuming things and saying I said things when I did not.

Actually what I said wasn't "lower class area", living in the city centre all my life, I'd find it hard to get to a lower-class area TBH. But sure, I guess I'm rich in that giant castle you see over-looking the dregs of society. :rolleyes:

Drug addicts are different from junkies, at least I think so.

The bottom point stands, we all have problems. That doesn't mean we all need to take drugs. And actually, these drug dealers as you call them, they don't target lower-class areas, they just have customers that are scum.
    If you're 14 years old and on drugs or drinking like a scumbag, you are one.
    And unless they're forced to do drugs until they're addicted, they're scum.
    And no, "problems" or "peer preasure" don't count, they're just mammy's way of protecting her "ickle angel".

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Something needs to be done desperately. If I ever accuse this government of one failing, its that they let this proliferation of 'junkies' in the city happen without even so much as attempting to keep it in check.

Please stop assuming things and saying I said things when I did not.

Actually what I said wasn't "lower class area", living in the city centre all my life, I'd find it hard to get to a lower-class area TBH. But sure, I guess I'm rich in that giant castle you see over-looking the dregs of society. :rolleyes:

Drug addicts are different from junkies, at least I think so.

The bottom point stands, we all have problems. That doesn't mean we all need to take drugs. And actually, these drug dealers as you call them, they don't target lower-class areas, they just have customers that are scum.
    If you're 14 years old and on drugs or drinking like a scumbag, you are one.
    And unless they're forced to do drugs until they're addicted, they're scum.
    And no, "problems" or "peer preasure" don't count, they're just mammy's way of protecting her "ickle angel".

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never assumed where you lived, but it's quite obvious that the large majority of these "scumbags" (ie. people who break windows etc.) do come from the lower class areas and the truth is that peer pressure is a big problem in society, and you can claim it has absolutely nothing to do with it all you like, but it's the truth.

What sort of person goes out with the intention of becoming addicted to drugs? Nobody. You will have the people that will think it's cool to do drugs at a house party, but the majority are led into a trap or other means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Was watching jeremy 'vile' kyle the last day. A woman gave her 14 year old daughter a pile of cans and then started smoking heroin with her. Ok, thats the uk, but im sure much the same happens here. What chance do people like this have with an upbringing like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement