Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Jasus talk about going off topic.

Drugs are bad mm k
    Dont do drugs they're bad for you mmm k
    Addicts are scum mmm k

I hear a lot of good stuff and then a lot of rants from most who know feck alla bout what they are talking about.

Lets be straight here, when you call someone a junkie that would usually relate to someone who's life has been taken over by whatever drug they are on. Since most drugs are addictive the majority will not manifest itself in such a visible addiction like Heroine does. Crack or Crystal Meth would have similar noticable traits but since they aren't an epidemic in Ireland yet I think it would be fair to say Junkies/Addicts in general would be Heroine addicts who are roaming our inner city steets en mass for the last few years.

Who ever said those with physical traits are ONLY those who were kids born from past junkies in the 80s is talking through their hole. I have seen friends who have gained the junkie drone in their voice "got any oddddds buuuuuuuud", let alone the grey/blue eyes, deshevelled facial features, rotting teeth and the constant need to fidgit or twitch. All of these traits came about after using from 2-4 years. Not a life time as others seem to suggest.

So again to the OP, I am working on Eden Quay 1st time in years since i worked int eh city (7 years). I am in what you'd call junkie central, ever morning, day and night the place is crawling with junkies of all ages. Now what you might think looking at junkie that they are 30-40 probably means they're int he 20's.

I think its a down right disgrace that
    A: Society has let drugs affect these people so badly
    B: There is no proper support network for them
    C: That the schools aren't educating children about the risks of heroine in particular
    D: That our Gardai aren't enforcing the law in taking them off the streets and our prison services have a revolving door system where they leave even more addicted that b4.
    E: Its an even greater disgrace that when you think of the billions been thrown around lately that 1 Billion investment in drug awareness and addiction treatment would support such a program for generations thus resolving the problem.

So yes they are everywhere all over the city. I hate having to see them every day and yes they make me very nervous during the day and I'd hate to see them at night under the cover of darkness. I have no idea how its gotten out of control so much. but we can only blame society and our judicial system of pure ignorance on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Oh for the love of... AH SURE I'LL NEVER BE ADDICTED LIKE, YA NO WOT I MEAN LIKE?
    The most commonly used illegal drug in the country is cannabis, followed by club drugs like ecstasy.

The vast majority of the users of these drugs will never use hyper-addictive hard drugs like heroin, never mind become addicted to them. There is simply too great a stigma attached, particularly amongst the middle class, and most people have the sense to stay away from the more destructive chemicals.
    Yeah thank you for that. Drugs are bad.
    M’kay?
    No matter what way you look at it, they're illegal. It can't really be measured in the same way that alcohol can.
    The more recent studies on the relative harms of various drugs do state that the comparisons drawn between alcohol and other psychoactives may not be fully accurate due to the difference in legal status, but they have endeavored to do so nonetheless (chart on p10). In terms of negative pharmacological effects, potential for dependence, and overall detriment to society, alcohol is deemed less harmful than heroin but fares badly against many popular illegals like MDMA and cannabis.

I don’t want to drag this off topic, but I feel compelled to bring it up when someone seems to be conflating recreational drug users with opiate addicts. Houses aren’t being burgled so ravers can get their pills for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads can we steer this one back on topic please.

There are other forum's where this stuff can be discussed.

Thanks.

Cool, I've intentionally been staying away from the legalisation/decriminalisation debate.

For the sake of peace and clarity, would it not be best for people to use "heroin users" over "drug users," since the thread's about junkies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

This thread seems to be the same conversation being repeated over and over by different contributors......if I go back 200 posts I'll probably finding someone saying the same thing that I'm saying now !!!

There are junkies in Dublin. Lots of them. They annoy people. What gives.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Bill2673 wrote: »
    This thread seems to be the same conversation being repeated over and over by different contributors......if I go back 200 posts I'll probably finding someone saying the same thing that I'm saying now !!!
    the same could be said for nearly every post on boards.ie that goes beyond 200 posts :)

Interesting thread here about those who were lost to drugs, mainly opiates like heroin.

I think a lot of the people pictured don’t fit the stereotypical junkie image.

Jasus talk about going off topic.

Drugs are bad mm k
    Dont do drugs they're bad for you mmm k
    Addicts are scum mmm k

I hear a lot of good stuff and then a lot of rants from most who know feck alla bout what they are talking about.

Lets be straight here, when you call someone a junkie that would usually relate to someone who's life has been taken over by whatever drug they are on. Since most drugs are addictive the majority will not manifest itself in such a visible addiction like Heroine does. Crack or Crystal Meth would have similar noticable traits but since they aren't an epidemic in Ireland yet I think it would be fair to say Junkies/Addicts in general would be Heroine addicts who are roaming our inner city steets en mass for the last few years.

Who ever said those with physical traits are ONLY those who were kids born from past junkies in the 80s is talking through their hole. I have seen friends who have gained the junkie drone in their voice "got any oddddds buuuuuuuud", let alone the grey/blue eyes, deshevelled facial features, rotting teeth and the constant need to fidgit or twitch. All of these traits came about after using from 2-4 years. Not a life time as others seem to suggest.

So again to the OP, I am working on Eden Quay 1st time in years since i worked int eh city (7 years). I am in what you'd call junkie central, ever morning, day and night the place is crawling with junkies of all ages. Now what you might think looking at junkie that they are 30-40 probably means they're int he 20's.

I think its a down right disgrace that
    A: Society has let drugs affect these people so badly
    B: There is no proper support network for them
    C: That the schools aren't educating children about the risks of heroine in particular
    D: That our Gardai aren't enforcing the law in taking them off the streets and our prison services have a revolving door system where they leave even more addicted that b4.
    E: Its an even greater disgrace that when you think of the billions been thrown around lately that 1 Billion investment in drug awareness and addiction treatment would support such a program for generations thus resolving the problem.

So yes they are everywhere all over the city. I hate having to see them every day and yes they make me very nervous during the day and I'd hate to see them at night under the cover of darkness. I have no idea how its gotten out of control so much. but we can only blame society and our judicial system of pure ignorance on the subject.

this is boards.ie , if the people that are paid to sort the problem out can't do it...then you're unlikely to find a silver bullet solution here. but everyone has their own perspective on the problem and anyone can share it here if they want.

dealing with your A,B,C,D points above.. the country could throw billions at this problem and there is still no guarantee that the problem would be solved. there is no country in the world that doesn't have drugs and people that use them( and this includes countrys that top the best countries in the world to live in . i.e. Canada,Austria,Switzerland and those that have the death penalty for drugs offences such as Iran and Thailand )

money IS being spent on A,B,C,D etc. in Ireland ( with the results on show perhaps a cynic could say that this money was wasted )

realistically the problem that this thread is supposed to be about COULD be moved on somewhere else i.e. away from the central business district and main thoroughfare ( check the wire episode in season 3 about "hamsterdam" ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Cool, I've intentionally been staying away from the legalisation/decriminalisation debate.

For the sake of peace and clarity, would it not be best for people to use "heroin users" over "drug users," since the thread's about junkies?

There's a difference? Is heroin somehow the only thing that can make a junkie? :rolleyes:

There's a difference? Is heroin somehow the only thing that can make a junkie? :rolleyes:

in fairness.. the term junkie is most commonly used to describe people addicted to heroin (or opiates)

a slang term for heroin is "junk".. i'd imagine thats where the term "junkie" comes from ?

slightly OT- In Bill Cullens book "penny apples" , alcoholics in the inner city who drank among other things ,methylated spirits, were known as "Spunkers" ..i kid you not

• Advertisement

There's a difference? Is heroin somehow the only thing that can make a junkie? [IMG]file:///C:/Users/dubacpxe/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    “Junkie” is derived from “junk,” a slang term for heroin. It may sometimes be used to refer to anyone dependant on hard drugs, but it generally refers to an opiate addict. Most drug addicts have labels particular to their drug of choice eg. someone addicted to methamphetamine is called a tweaker, someone addicted to crack would be termed a crackhead.

And as most users of softer drugs are not addicted to the psychoactives they imbibe, it would be misleading to class them as junkies.

Hope this clears things up?

“Junkie” is derived from “junk,” a slang term for heroin. It may sometimes be used to refer to anyone dependant on hard drugs, but it generally refers to an opiate addict. Most drug addicts have labels particular to their drug of choice eg. someone addicted to methamphetamine is called a tweaker, someone addicted to crack would be termed a crackhead.

And as most users of softer drugs are not addicted to the psychoactives they imbibe, it would be misleading to class them as junkies.

Hope this clears things up?

Meh it does sort of make sense. I wasn't actually refering to heroin addicts alone; I meant all drug addicts who... well act like scumbags.

Meh it does sort of make sense. I wasn't actually refering to heroin addicts alone; I meant all drug addicts who... well act like scumbags.
    The overwhelming majority of these people are heroin addicts. Off the top of my head, the other drugs that cause this level of delinquency are crack and methamphetamine, which in Ireland are extremely uncommon and nonexistent, respectively. Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The overwhelming majority of these people are heroin addicts. Off the top of my head, the other drugs that cause this level of delinquency are crack and methamphetamine, which in Ireland are extremely uncommon and nonexistent, respectively. Thank god.
    I saw a lad smoking crack on the Luas a while ago, or at least that's what he said it was to some other scumbag.

Just as well it isn't as common, because he started going mental, skipping up and down the Luas, dancing and screaming random sh*t at passengers. I could easily see how someone in that condition could turn violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

it would be a good laugh if some of the posters children end up addicts and see what their attitude to addicts are then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

jimpump wrote: »
    it would be a good laugh if some of the posters children end up addicts and see what their attitude to addicts are then
    No, it wouldn't be a very good laugh at all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - no sane person would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Welcome to Boards.ie! Do continue with the excellent contributions :rolleyes:

in what way ? i'm not seeing the humour.. do you mean their view would be softer or harder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

in what way ? i'm not seeing the humour.. do you mean their view would be softer or harder ?

i think there view would be a lot softer! as anyone can become an addict whether its to heroin,prescription drugs,pain pills etc.
    and if one of their kids was to become an addict would they show this much disdain to them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So, who can find the most junkies on Google street view? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i think there view would be a lot softer! as anyone can become an addict whether its to heroin,prescription drugs,pain pills etc.
    and if one of their kids was to become an addict would they show this much disdain to them?
    I think some of the posters with harder views would soften and I think those with softer views would harden.

What the... Why one Earth would ANYONE deserve that or even wish it upon someone? :eek:

Drug addicts destroy their own lives! They damage their families.

Why on Earth would you say that?

I see your point but dear God man... at least say something nice like "I wonder if the posters here had been affected by drugs in some way that their views would change".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

worldclass wrote: »
    So last night as I was walking through Temple Bar on my way to the gym (about 8pm), I saw what has now topped my own personal experience of shocking public behaviour from junkies.. and to make it worse it was happening in full view/earshot of about 40 tourists with no Garda in sight :mad:

This female junkie was walking towards Westmoreland street screaming at full volume,with her head cocked all the way back, AAANNNNNDDDDDYYYYYYYY- Once, Twice, Three times - a voice then responds from up the road shouting, FUCCCKKKKKKKIIIIINNNNNN WHHAAAAAAA - Her response is what shocked me!

She grabs her self between the legs and screams - I WAAAANNNNAAAAA POXYYY RIDDDEEE YEEE!!!! shouts it twice and then to clarify for those of us unfamiliar with Dublin slang.. She shouts.. I WANNNNAAAAA FUUUCCKCCKKK YE ANDY!!!! :eek:

I actually got embarrassed by her and can't even begin to imagine how these visitors would mentally process this madness...

An intervention is needed and it's needed now :(

never mind the junkies. they're harmless and die young.

its the fookin bankers we wanna watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

thebullkf wrote: »
    never mind the junkies. they're harmless and die young.

its the fookin bankers we wanna watch

This is a thread about junkies, the hint is in the title.

There are tons of threads for you to rant (quite justifiably) about bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

This is a thread about junkies, the hint is in the title.

There are tons of threads for you to rant (quite justifiably) about bankers.

i know what the thread is about.
    thanks for your input.
    i feel better now.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

I was in Burger King on grafton today(the one beside topman) and when in the bathroom, I saw a junkie washing a needle in the sink. I felt sickened.
    i do feel however, a centre should be set up that would allow users to swap an old needle for a new clean needle. If such place doesnt excist already.
    This would help stop the spread of deseases(sorry. one word I just cant spell) and the amount of needles dropped on the ground in public places, which I've seen a lot more of in the past few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    I was in Burger King on grafton today(the one beside topman) and when in the bathroom, I saw a junkie washing a needle in the sink. I felt sickened.
    i do feel however, a centre should be set up that would allow users to swap an old needle for a new clean needle. If such place doesnt excist already.
    This would help stop the spread of deseases(sorry. one word I just cant spell) and the amount of needles dropped on the ground in public places, which I've seen a lot more of in the past few weeks

There's already needle exchange places in the city centre. It is scary seeing discared syringes around the place. The video uploaded by a DCC worker cleaning a laneway in town was very disturbing (think video was posted earlier in this thread - although it may have been another thread on boards.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

3 incidents yesterday.

On the bus into town 2 junkies got on from the stop just before the Luas tracks at Hueston. Of course they didn't have to pay. Very noisy, and then one of them decides to light up a smoke. Bus driver promptly kicks them off, but one of got aggressive, punched the door, and got off.

They left quickly when the driver threatened to call the Gardaí, must of had drugs on them.

Second incident was outside the Ilac centre. A junkie couple arguing about something. Screaming at each other, and then only to be backed up with their junkie friends with the odd remark. Loud and in a group, needs to be moved on.

3rd was further up Henry street. A junkie getting aggressive with a chugger. Shouting at him and then shouting at anyone who was looking. Tourists shocked.

Why is there not more of a police presence around the shopping hotspots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shut up.

• Advertisement

ToTheSea: wrote: »

they get clean needles (i'm assuming for free from the state..so they probably can't get them on weekends or after 5) but presumably they don't have to hand the old ones back in judging by the fact that you "occasionally" will see disposed needles around the place.

the reason you see them around the place is probably just as much due to the standard of street cleaning in the city.. unless you make a habit of walking along disused laneways frequented by junkies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement