Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

xzanti wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the real hardcore ones you see around the quays are the children of the 'original' junkies from back in the 70's or 80's when heroin was first introduced to Dublin by the likes of the Dunne family.. I actually read that in a post on Boards about a year ago.. Anyone remember that post? It was very interesting..
    Besides Derek Dunne you have Tony Felloni
    The huge heroin problem in Dublin in the 1980s was largely due to Felloni and his family. Despite numerous arrests, it was 1996 before the police caught up with him and were finally able to make charges stick.

He started as a blackmailer in the early 1960s. His scam was simple: lure young girls to a flat on the pretext of a party, terrorise them into stripping naked, photograph them and then demand money on the threat of sending the photographs to employees and parents. On some occasions he even raped the girl in question.

Over the years he graduated from petty thief to major Dublin drugs baron. His children sold drugs with him. Of his six children, all, bar one, are junkies and have criminal convictions.
    source:King Scum: The Life and Crimes of Tony Felloni, Dublin's Heroin Boss by Paul Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've been all over the world and never seen a drug problem so obvious as it is in our city centre. Its a damn shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If ya stand at the bus stops there on eden quay you can actually see the drug dealing going on,its seriously like a scene out of The Wire. Junkie goes to the dealer,dealer whistles,junkies walks to the bordwalk to pick it up..actually so disgusting and very uncomfortable when waiting on a bus!!!

Was in mcdonalds in o'connell st a while back and a bloke comes in with a two-year old child..he sits there twitching till another bloke comes in and very clumsily passes him something under the table...he then hightails it up to the jacks leaving the kid with his dealer for agood five minutes.

After a while the dealer starts getting abit lemon so he says to a woman at another table "will ye look after him fer a minute" and fcucks off to the toilet himself...leaving a two year old unatended in mcdonalds.

About 5 minutes later the two of them reappear and grabbing the kid,wobble off into the sunset.

Sickening,absolutely sickening..why is this dirtbird allowed to be in charge of a child are there no social services to deal with this sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ruddellmander

the have no conscience,nor any core values for life..sure look at how they treat their own!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

there was some amount of them out in force yesterday i was in town and had got home to receive a text from my mate he had just got into town and said the amount a bogeys out today is unreal i tough it was just me thinking it but it does be like the land of the living dead at times swarms of zombies all over the place, one place i was shocked seen so many in was dun laoghaire they've got some bad ass junkie's out that way big huge mother fu**kers out there compared to some the one's you see in the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

spider_pig wrote: »
    it does be like the land of the living dead at times swarms of zombies all over the place

lol its like a the Michael Jackson video Thriller:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

lol its like a the Michael Jackson video Thriller:)

haha i couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I can't really see an easy solution to move them on. They hang around the city because the services are there for them, there is no where else in Dublin that would be happy to accept them. The only thing to do at the moment is to be aware of the junky black spots and steer clear. It really sucks for tourists and those who are unaware though.
    The city clearly needs to be cleaned up and purged, but it seems to be a problem in every major city, it is difficult to get rid of this sort of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I caught the repeat of the Lunchtime show on Newstalk. Dr. James Reilly of Fine Gael was on talking to Damien Kiberd on the (loosely) linked topics of (a) The Revenue have a new hotline to report illegal cigarette sellers while (b) no-one seems to be doing anything about drugs being openly sold and consumed on the streets.

Reilly's main points relevant to this thread were that Fine Gael always have been strong on crime, the current laws are not being enforced and if elected, they will take the drugs off the streets. Now, the man is a politician, so of course he didn't say how he would achieve this but I think it's positive to hear the subject being discussed by a TD.

Tried to find the audio on the newstalk site, the lunchtime show seems to be the only one they don't podcast or play on their media player :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Well there isn't a quick fix solution. The Gardai can't really do anything - being a junkie isn't itself a crime and there's only so much 'moving on' you can do, and it's mostly one street to the next stuff, not exactly solving the problem when you're talking about the city centre generally.

The problem is one of social policy as much as criminal. I suspect Dublin's junkies are so obvious for a couple of reasons:

1. There are impoverished inner city communities that are basically woven into the city centre.

2. Dublin is so small and centralised anyway that it draws them in. We don't have a sprawling Metropolis with different shopping districts and facilities. It's all in the one place. So everyone ends up in the one pot.

Neither of those points is going to change any time soon.

As for the actual dealing, there is simply no political will to do anything about it. It would help if Labour/FG made a political football out of it, we might see some action then. The boardwalk is a ****ing disgrace and we should be embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I caught the repeat of the Lunchtime show on Newstalk. Dr. James Reilly of Fine Gael was on talking to Damien Kiberd on the (loosely) linked topics of (a) The Revenue have a new hotline to report illegal cigarette sellers while (b) no-one seems to be doing anything about drugs being openly sold and consumed on the streets.

Reilly's main points relevant to this thread were that Fine Gael always have been strong on crime, the current laws are not being enforced and if elected, they will take the drugs off the streets. Now, the man is a politician, so of course he didn't say how he would achieve this but I think it's positive to hear the subject being discussed by a TD.

Tried to find the audio on the newstalk site, the lunchtime show seems to be the only one they don't podcast or play on their media player :confused:

I believe he said he would lock up every drug dealer/user in Dublin to clear them off the streets. An admirable but impossible plan. At a low estimate there are about 200 zombie like heroin addicts around the city. It was merely a vote grabbing claim that could never actually be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Have you ever seen them crossing a road - ZERO FEAR haha that's the drugs for ya
    Straight across the road dont even look.
    Some day I'll plough one of them over to make them pay attention. Have had a few near misses with them in the past but you daren't say anything for fear of the consequences.

I can't have any sympathy for them especially the ones with small kids, that's just selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I sometimes eat my lunch up at the Royal Canal, just sit on my own on a bench, watch the ducks and swams have my sandwiches.

Every lunchtime there is a gang of junkies hanging around , I believe Amiens St clinic is closed at lunch so they hang around the canal
    They don't bother people, I've sat on the next bench to them and they wouldn't even look at you.

Spaced out of their heads and having cans of Dutch which they fire at the swans when finished :mad:

I pass them on Amiens St Clinic and the usual spots like Talbot St and the boardwalk.
    The boardwalk is shame as it's great for tourist but anyone who calls it a no go area is just talking like a tabloid newspaper. Scaremongering.

It's safe to walk down any time, well daylight hours anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The boardwalk is shame as it's great for tourist but anyone who calls it a no go area is just talking like a tabloid newspaper. Scaremongering.

It's safe to walk down any time, well daylight hours anyway.

You're a brave one indeed. It has menace and fear about it despite the fights that go on hence its a no-go for us decent folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

One day last week I decided to spend a few hours rambling around Phoenix Park, then decided to take the no. 10 bus back home. Just before we left the terminus, three clearly strung-out men got on the bus, flashed passes at the bus driver and sat down. All the way into the city centre they made complete nuisances of themselves until they got off at the bus stop nearest to O'Connell Bridge. The bus was packed with Spanish students and they were terrified.

A good friend of mine works in Dublin Bus management so when I saw him a few days later I asked him if Dublin Bus employed junkies (I'd assumed that the passes the three men showed to the driver were employee passes) and I was amazed when he told me that junkies are given some sort of disability card that entitles them to travel for free as their drug addiction is considered a disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gyalist wrote: »
    I was amazed when he told me that junkies are given some sort of disability card that entitles them to travel for free as their drug addiction is considered a disability.

A few years ago I took pre-discharge leave from the army and worked for a taxi company, and addicts/junkies got freebie taxi's on the HSE account from the treatment center in Pearce St. to home & hospitals!.

A lot of the driver's wouldn't take those jobs, including me after a few times simply because they were crawling with filth & the cab required a complete clean down after the job.

So it doesn't surprise me in the least about the bus pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Gyalist wrote: »

A good friend of mine works in Dublin Bus management so when I saw him a few days later I asked him if Dublin Bus employed junkies (I'd assumed that the passes the three men showed to the driver were employee passes) and I was amazed when he told me that junkies are given some sort of disability card that entitles them to travel for free as their drug addiction is considered a disability.
    :eek: I honestly can't believe there are people that are not aware of this!! There is also a huge amount of forged free travel passes floating about. I could ramble on for ages about how much of a fooking disgrace it is....

Loads of the scrotes up my way have free bus passes..they often head into town on the bus to score thier drugs (usually "Yellows" these days) and sit up the back smoking spiffs and bragging about their criminal 'exploits'.

In one journey alone i learned how to steal a new model transit and the procedure for getting drugs into mountjoty over the wall.

It seems being a junkie is now a license to commit crime and also a yearly saving of 1000 euro based on two journeys per day on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

A few years ago I took pre-discharge leave from the army and worked for a taxi company, and addicts/junkies got freebie taxi's on the HSE account from the treatment center in Pearce St. to home & hospitals!.

A lot of the driver's wouldn't take those jobs, including me after a few times simply because they were crawling with filth & the cab required a complete clean down after the job.

So it doesn't surprise me in the least about the bus pass.

I always wondered how junkies could afford to be getting taxi's so much when I lived in Marino and walked into the city. It is astonishing that they get free bus and taxi passes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

dcr22B wrote: »
    Some day I'll plough one of them over to make them pay attention. Have had a few near misses with them in the past but you daren't say anything for fear of the consequences.

I can't have any sympathy for them especially the ones with small kids, that's just selfish.
    Don't run em over

They'll put a claim in!

• Advertisement

Heard from a friend of mine in the guards..when they get arrested they always say:

1)I want a solicitor

2)I want to make a complaint

3)I want a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Degsy wrote: »
    Loads of the scrotes up my way have free bus passes..they often head into town on the bus to score thier drugs (usually "Yellows" these days) and sit up the back smoking spiffs and bragging about their criminal 'exploits'.

Although you'd think they were handing out bus passes with methadone these days, a lot of the junkies are waving photocopied bus passes around..they know the drivers don't want the hassle of calling them on it. Ye see some junkies walking past the driver just slurring "i've a pass" knowing full well they'll get away it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ria5000

Bill2673 wrote: »
    There's a kid that begs sometimes outside Arnotts on Mary St, I've seen him knocking about town for three years or so now. I'd say he's about 16 or 17 now, and my god, he is so unhealthy looking it makes me shake when I see him. His face is grey white and yellow and he always has a joint in his hand. I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone who ends up in this situation.

his name is tommy and he's actually 25. he just looks very young and makes a fortune from begging because of this factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Love_Game

Mad actually stumbling apon this thread.

I was getting a CT Scan done in hospital last Wendesday, and one of the attendant that was there was a girl from Poland, and she struck up a conversation with my while waiting for the scan to set up. She asked me if it was just her or is there a load of people on drugs in Dublin?. To say I was ashamed is an understatment. She then went on to tell me she lives near the keys and that she does be afraid going home after her shift as there does be around 10-15 of them hanging outside the apartments she lives.

It defo is getting worst

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pert

Don't know if they were junkies or not but I was fecking hounded for change while I was down over the weekend.

Either people sitting down or lads actually coming up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Degsy wrote: »

what are "yellows" ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't know if it was 'cause this thread was on my mind but got asked for change 5 times between O'Connel and Georges st...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HAROLDX

What freaks me out is when your buying your luas ticket at jervis stop.they stand over you asking for your change . very intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Don't know if it was 'cause this thread was on my mind but got asked for change 5 times between O'Connel and Georges st...

Whilst i normally get annoyed about this and just end up ranting and raving when i get home,i had reason to be embarrassed about it a few weeks ago.

A woman we knew from the US was over here for a few days so we'd arranged to meet in town on a sunday night. We ended up at the Hairy Lemon on WC Final night and sat outside as all 3 of us were smokers. In the 3 hours we were there we were asked 31 times(i counted!) for smokes or change. I was actually embarrassed as our American friend found it very disturbing and queried if this was a common thing in Dublin as she'd had others ask for stuff over the previous couple of days whilst sightseeing. She said she'd never come across so many junkies hanging around the main thoroughfares of a city before.

Unfortunately i see no end to it. Unless it makes the news on some foreign tv or a Tripadvisor article that names and shames the city which in turn produces a reaction from the tourist board,i can't see it changing anytime soon.:(

• Advertisement

what are "yellows" ?

Also known as "Roche 50's" They're actually Valium and the city is awash with them..check along the boardwalk and Quays near by,there's valium packets all over the ground.
    If the junkies cant get heroin or Physeptone they cane a shiitload of valium instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement