Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

"help the poor in X country"... How about we help our own first? :P

I would probably rather help someone who has had their lives destroyed due to a natural disaster first before someone who has decided to start abusing drugs, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

nm wrote: »
    God just shut up

I think its time to shut this thread down. Its going nowhere apart from giving people an opportunity to bark at one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    ... they're only in certain parts of town, which you wouldn't really want to be in anyway.

The problem is they aren't only in certain parts of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    This thread is getting old. Is anyone going to do anything about the junkies/homeless in town, or are we just going to continue complaining about them? If that's the case, just accept it and get on with your life, it's not THAT big a deal, and they're only in certain parts of town, which you wouldn't really want to be in anyway.

Only because these area's to littered with junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Saw a great junkie incident yesterday evening...

Was on Coppinger Row (between Clarendon St and Sth William St) when I heard this guy roaring something up the street. Next thing this filthy junkie starts running towards us. I was a bit dazed and confused until I realized what the guy was roaring - "stop! thief!". Next thing we know a guy in the pub beside us jumps up out of his seat and starts running after the junkie and everyone on the road starts trying to block the junkie's way. It was brilliant! The junkie was so freaked out by all the people after him that he dropped the guy's wallet and ran away empty handed. It made me happy for the rest of the day - actually I'm getting all happy now thinking about it again! In your face, junkie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

nm wrote: »
    God just shut up

Uh... what?:confused:
    I would probably rather help someone who has had their lives destroyed due to a natural disaster first before someone who has decided to start abusing drugs, to be honest.

It doesn't even apply to just junkies though; let's say you were an alcoholic, you lose your family, job and so on. And are out begging. Eventually you could stop yourself and have a life again... except nobody gives a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

It doesn't even apply to just junkies though; let's say you were an alcoholic, you lose your family, job and so on. And are out begging. Eventually you could stop yourself and have a life again... except nobody gives a damn.
    Let's say you're a hard-working guy who hasn't voluntarily turned to drugs or alcohol and suddenly a landslide destroys your village and you lose your home/car/job/family/etc.

Does a self-inflicted alcoholic or junkie deserve more help just because they come from the same place we do? Nah.
    TBH I detest the "take care of our own" attitude. Our own what? Street? Town? City? Country? Race? We're all people.

zynaps wrote: »
    Let's say you're a hard-working guy who hasn't voluntarily turned to drugs or alcohol and suddenly a landslide destroys your village and you lose your home/car/job/family/etc.

Does a self-inflicted alcoholic or junkie deserve more help just because they come from the same place we do? Nah.
    TBH I detest the "take care of our own" attitude. Our own what? Street? Town? City? Country? Race? We're all people.

It depends. Actual addicts, yes I think they deserve help. People in their teens or 20s being a drug addict... let them make their own life. I have said before and I firmly believe this that there is no excuse to ever take drugs nowadays. People who start taking it are complete idiots.

Alcohol is a bit iffy but we know that it can be enjoyed casually.
    It's not a double standard. We know what hard drugs are, we know how much they damage you.

Yes alcohol is a drug and yes it does damage you but let's face it: alcoholics can still function fairly well (within reason).

I'm not going to go further OTT but as for the things with drugs: help those on the stuff years; if you're young and you don#t bother to pay attention... you don't deserve help.

Oh and by "take care of our own" I mean our own country. I'm not saying a polish junkie or a black junkie is different to an irish one. If a man is dying and you can call someone to save his life; most people will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It depends. Actual addicts, yes I think they deserve help.
    Anyone who is physically and psychologically dependent on a drug is an addict by definition. How do you define an "actual addict?"
    People in their teens or 20s being a drug addict... let them make their own life. I have said before and I firmly believe this that there is no excuse to ever take drugs nowadays. People who start taking it are complete idiots.
    What about addicts in their teens or twenties who are themselves children of addicts? These people are often born with a predisposition to opiate addiction, received no love or encouragement from their parents and in many cases were actually abused by them, and are more often than not functionally illiterate. Many of these are the degenerate addicts you see around the city centre. They never really had a chance at life, and you're happy to see them rot?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Many of these are the degenerate addicts you see around the city centre. They never really had a chance at life, and you're happy to see them rot?

Agree 100% pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Hi,
    Was in the city center today for the first time in about 3 months. I saw about 3 groups of zombie like junkie groups at the bottom of O'Connell street near the O'Connell statue. A few of them were shouting abuse at each other in full view of everyone waiting at pedestrian crossings. It was quite embarrassing because there were quite a few tourists looking around puzzled and shocked while the Irish people were looking like it as a normal occurrence. The worrying thing is that we've come to accept that there'll always be a presence of Junkies hanging around the main thoroughfare of our city. This should not happen.
    Unfortunately I don't have any ideas of what to do with them or were to move them on

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Anyone who is physically and psychologically dependent on a drug is an addict by definition. How do you define an "actual addict?"

What about addicts in their teens or twenties who are themselves children of addicts? These people are often born with a predisposition to opiate addiction, received no love or encouragement from their parents and in many cases were actually abused by them, and are more often than not functionally illiterate. Many of these are the degenerate addicts you see around the city centre. They never really had a chance at life, and you're happy to see them rot?

Of course I am. It is their own fault. If a human being (with the exception of being forced) choose to take drugs particulary after seeing first hand what it does; they deserve to rot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Saw this woman dealing openly on marlboro st yesterday..she literally hada handfull of deals and people were flocking up to her picking what they wanted..at 9am!
    130298.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Of course I am. It is their own fault. If a human being (with the exception of being forced) choose to take drugs particulary after seeing first hand what it does; they deserve to rot.

I think its too easy to condemn drug addicts, saying it was their choice to take drugs. Granted they are a bloody nuisance, an eyesore, a menace to society and contribute to petty crime however these people have slided into a life of drug use, initially perhaps they were disaffected socially / economically and sought refuge in drugs to escape, certainly and subsequently they become addicts, and their ability to 'choose', becomes redundant. Junkies are whether you like it, victims themselves, GRANTED, I am NOT saying we should tolerate their behaviour and allow them to perpetuate their abdication from normal society in their drug addled stupour, personally I think the epidemic of junkies on our streets needs a multi-pronged approach, involving social services, health services, employment services and the gardai. Theres a detox centre http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23535 in south east asia run by buddist monks where people with drug addictions can go on retreat, its not for the faint hearted, as they dont believe in methodone treatment, you simply go cold turkey with only herbal drinks to aid withdrawl, you sleep on a thin mattress outdoors for 8 weeks while the monks teach you life skills and essentially restore control over your own drug free life. Treatment costs 2 euro a day!! Either establish the same tough love detox facility here in ireland or even charter a couple of jets and send the junkies out to thailand for treatment, expenditure in the short term would reap huge dividends and savings for society in the longterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Advertising works :D
    Everyone renaming Marlborough St as Marlboro St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

conor678 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Was in the city center today for the first time in about 3 months. I saw about 3 groups of zombie like junkie groups at the bottom of O'Connell street near the O'Connell statue. A few of them were shouting abuse at each other in full view of everyone waiting at pedestrian crossings. It was quite embarrassing because there were quite a few tourists looking around puzzled and shocked while the Irish people were looking like it as a normal occurrence. The worrying thing is that we've come to accept that there'll always be a presence of Junkies hanging around the main thoroughfare of our city. This should not happen.
    Unfortunately I don't have any ideas of what to do with them or were to move them on

Move them on to Grafton St and you be guaranteed they won't be tolerated.

heybaby wrote: »
    I think its too easy to condemn drug addicts, saying it was their choice to take drugs. Granted they are a bloody nuisance, an eyesore, a menace to society and contribute to petty crime however these people have slided into a life of drug use, initially perhaps they were disaffected socially / economically and sought refuge in drugs to escape, certainly and subsequently they become addicts, and their ability to 'choose', becomes redundant. Junkies are whether you like it, victims themselves, GRANTED, I am NOT saying we should tolerate their behaviour and allow them to perpetuate their abdication from normal society in their drug addled stupour, personally I think the epidemic of junkies on our streets needs a multi-pronged approach, involving social services, health services, employment services and the gardai. Theres a detox centre http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23535 in south east asia run by buddist monks where people with drug addictions can go on retreat, its not for the faint hearted, as they dont believe in methodone treatment, you simply go cold turkey with only herbal drinks to aid withdrawl, you sleep on a thin mattress outdoors for 8 weeks while the monks teach you life skills and essentially restore control over your own drug free life. Treatment costs 2 euro a day!! Either establish the same tough love detox facility here in ireland or even charter a couple of jets and send the junkies out to thailand for treatment, expenditure in the short term would reap huge dividends and savings for society in the longterm.

But I just have a problem with people who never took drugs that take them now. I honestly don't see why anyone would. If people say "oh they have problems"... so fu*king what? We all have problems; does that mean we should all start taking an uzi and go to the local shopping center and just blast a few people down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Degsy wrote: »
    Saw this woman dealing openly on marlboro st yesterday..she literally hada handfull of deals and people were flocking up to her picking what they wanted..at 9am!
    130298.JPG

http://www.dialtostop.ie/

I've rung them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

heybaby wrote: »
    Either establish the same tough love detox facility here in ireland or even charter a couple of jets and send the junkies out to thailand for treatment, expenditure in the short term would reap huge dividends and savings for society in the longterm.

I'm not drug addicted but do you think the government could send me on retreat to a detox centre in Thailand anyway? I could use a break. :rolleyes:

There are lots of facilities for people who want to break any habit already. Maintaining that there is nothing out there to help people is missing the point. A lot of people don't want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are now on 'Ignore'. I'll check back in a few years to see if you have matured in any way. You might also educate yourself about 'drugs' in that period.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    You are now on 'Ignore'. I'll check back in a few years to see if you have matured in any way. You might also educate yourself about 'drugs' in that period.
    HAHA All because I didn't go the route of molly coddling junkies that don't deserve it?
    Fella, attitudes like that are why we're fu*ked. So because I take drugs at the age of 13 and am a junkie at the age of 16, it's someone else's fault because... what? Mammy didn't hug me enough or because I didn't get that special kiss from that girl I liked? #

Grow up, stop babying scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

gurramok wrote: »
    Move them on to Grafton St and you be guaranteed they won't be tolerated.
    To be fair people refer to Phibsborough as Phibsboro, it's just a natural shortening of the word. Laziness rather than advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

So because I take drugs at the age of 13 and am a junkie at the age of 16, it's someone else's fault because... what?
    No it's not, but whatever the reason someone has for messing up their life, it's still counterproductive to say that they "deserve to rot". It doesn't solve any problems and probably only alienates them further from healthy society.

Fix them, beware them, pity them maybe, but hate gets us nowhere!

zynaps wrote: »
    No it's not, but whatever the reason someone has for messing up their life, it's still counterproductive to say that they "deserve to rot". It doesn't solve any problems and probably only alienates them further from healthy society.

Fix them, beware them, pity them maybe, but hate gets us nowhere!

I don't understand how people can be so babying though... :confused:

Let me put it to you this way: you're 16 years old in the year 2010; you know what will happen to you if you steal a car and drive it straight through your local Centra shop (just as an example). Do we all say "ah the little guy just needs a hug and some help". No, we say "that idiot could have killed someone; it's his own damn fault" when he gets locked up.
    I don't have a problem with the long term addicts; i'll give them the fact that drugs might have only just started to become strong here; that's not really their fault. But now we know what the dangers are and it's going to either fall down to one of two things: it's just now and again I take it sure, I won't get addicted
    Or: sure remember little billy asked that girl out and she said no, that caused him to be an addict for heroin, it's all that girl's fault.

Either let the little cu*ts accept it's their own fault or give every single junkie that gets made from now on a mansion and have regular joes cut their grass. It's backwards that we should feel sorry/help them. If you become an addict now; it's your own fault.

I use the example of me drinking too much for a few weeks/months; it coudl have been a lot worse, I could have said "sure one more can tonight won't do any harm", but no; I had common sense. I know how bad drinking constantly and doing it on a binge is bad; people who take drugs now know that they are bad but kids still do it; young people still do it; so let them rot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They take drugs because it makes them feel better. Same reason people drink.

Now think about how ****ty you must think your life is to begin with, if knowing where taking gear ends up, you go ahead and choose to feel the high anyway.

They continue to take drugs because even if they want to or manage to 'get off' them, they live in areas flooded with them.

spurious wrote: »
    They take drugs because it makes them feel better. Same reason people drink.

Now think about how ****ty you must think your life is to begin with, if knowing where taking gear ends up, you go ahead and choose to feel the high anyway.

They continue to take drugs because even if they want to or manage to 'get off' them, they live in areas flooded with them.

Sigh... No, that's called shoving the blame elsewhere. If that's the case can I get pissed every night from when I was a child and blame my "hard" life? Or how about just robbing a bank and blaming the shop keeper being rude to me that morning, caused me to have a hard life that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The world isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.Every single addicts circumstances are different,its very,very easy to say that they should know better.I've worked with and trained dozens of recovering addicts over the years and they do know better.But through different and difficult circumstances they begin to abuse drugs in order for their life's to seem bearable.For example,being raised in a family with a history of chronic drug abuse and all the negative effects that comes with being raised in that situation.Little or no education,poverty,poor role models,becoming homeless,being abused physically/emotionally/sexually or all three.Nobody wants to be a heroin addict,it's an awful life.

How do you feel addicts are being ''molly coddled''?Because they aren't being thrown in jail?because people feel sympathy for them?

The world isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.Every single addicts circumstances are different,its very,very easy to say that they should know better.I've worked with and trained dozens of recovering addicts over the years and they do know better.But through different and difficult circumstances they begin to abuse drugs in order for their life's to seem bearable.For example,being raised in a family with a history of chronic drug abuse and all the negative effects that comes with being raised in that situation.Little or no education,poverty,poor role models,becoming homeless,being abused physically/emotionally/sexually or all three.Nobody wants to be a heroin addict,it's an awful life.

How do you feel addicts are being ''molly coddled''?Because they aren't being thrown in jail?because people feel sympathy for them?
    I'd imagine you're the tenth or person that refuses to read what I write...

Look, addicts have a reason. And who gives a fu*k if they were abused or whatnot? I was raped when I was six years old; did I turn out to be a drug addict? An alcoholic? No, I turned out to be fu*king somewhat normal.

Addicts that have been hooked on it for years; fine... we can chalk that up to not knowing how bad they are. Addicts that are made now; don't lock thme up, use them as slave labour. If people don't care about themselves; neither should we.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I'd imagine you're the tenth or person that refuses to read what I write...

Look, addicts have a reason. And who gives a fu*k if they were abused or whatnot? I was raped when I was six years old; did I turn out to be a drug addict? An alcoholic? No, I turned out to be fu*king somewhat normal.

Addicts that have been hooked on it for years; fine... we can chalk that up to not knowing how bad they are. Addicts that are made now; don't lock thme up, use them as slave labour. If people don't care about themselves; neither should we.

some people don't know any better....ignorance is bliss.

not everybody survives rape. (mentally).

gladto hear it hasn't affected you.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

education is the key.proactive approach instead of reactive.
    simple in theory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement