Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

In the hospital I work in, alot of the heroin addicts that come in, are on the methadone/methadrone treatment plans but i was told that u have to watch them swallow it as they are known to spit it back up and sell it on the streets :confused:

Another thing, when u have to take blood from them, they are the ones that make most fuss! complaining about the pain, and how " u better find a vein first time " which can be quite difficult if its sucked completely dry.

I have to say i was slightly scared to be honest, as im only 19. But u mature pretty quick in surroundings like that, and it isnt too hard to be one step ahead of a junkie. I often have to be up at 5am to be on time for shift, and i get a "howaya" but no trouble. :L I do have some sympathy for them, as an addiction is an addiction. They arnt they only ones, getting free taxi's everywhere,milking the hospital for everything they can get. You learn to bite your tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was actually embarrassed as our American friend found it very disturbing and queried if this was a common thing in Dublin as she'd had others ask for stuff over the previous couple of days whilst sightseeing. She said she'd never come across so many junkies hanging around the main thoroughfares of a city before.

While Dublin is certainly getting worse in this regard, it is by no means unique. On recent visits to San Francisco and Hamburg I've seen congregations of junkies, gutter-punks and homeless in or around the main tourist areas that number well above anything I've seen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    Also known as "Roche 50's" They're actually Valium and the city is awash with them..check along the boardwalk and Quays near by,there's valium packets all over the ground.
    If the junkies cant get heroin or Physeptone they cane a shiitload of valium instead.

Roche 5's are yellow, 2's are white & 10's are blue's.

I'm pretty sure there are no Roche 50.

The roche calm them down when they've shakes etc, but its a cheap stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Anytime I see them, it's almost like a Champion Sports dummy has come to life and is 'headin' over the bridge for a scoooooore, bud.

Silly observation aside, it's a fcuking disgrace and it breaks my heart to see them when the kids are in tow.

Saw one character, mashed out of his face, kneeling down in the middle of the footpath on Burgh Quay, causing an obstruction.

What was he doing? Lacing up a new pair of reeboks. In the middle of the footpath, oblivious to anything around him.

I've never seen the like of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Roche 5's are yellow, 2's are white & 10's are blue's.

I'm pretty sure there are no Roche 50.

The roche calm them down when they've shakes etc, but its a cheap stone.

Meant 5's mak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dcarrera

lord lucan wrote: »
    Whilst i normally get annoyed about this and just end up ranting and raving when i get home,i had reason to be embarrassed about it a few weeks ago.

A woman we knew from the US was over here for a few days so we'd arranged to meet in town on a sunday night. We ended up at the Hairy Lemon on WC Final night and sat outside as all 3 of us were smokers. In the 3 hours we were there we were asked 31 times(i counted!) for smokes or change. I was actually embarrassed as our American friend found it very disturbing and queried if this was a common thing in Dublin as she'd had others ask for stuff over the previous couple of days whilst sightseeing. She said she'd never come across so many junkies hanging around the main thoroughfares of a city before.

Unfortunately i see no end to it. Unless it makes the news on some foreign tv or a Tripadvisor article that names and shames the city which in turn produces a reaction from the tourist board,i can't see it changing anytime soon.:(

They are a complete nuisance when drinking down around that area. I used to drink in Spy on South William Street last summer and when you sat outside it would be a constant parade of people asking for change or cigarettes. Also last year, I spent 6 hours in the waiting room of casualty in St James' and the place was full of junkies, again making a nuisance of themselves. I wouldn't mind if they were actually in to be seen by a doctor but what seemed to be happening was that there was one or two in to see a doctor and the rest were their mates who came along to get out of the cold and watch TV or pass out on the chairs. I didn't mind as I live nearby so I'm used to seeing them about the area but there were people there who were obviously quite distressed by having to go to casualty in the first place and then had to put up with having to listen to some junkie talk **** to them or pass out on top of them (as was the case for some poor woman who'd come in with her daughter).

I was in casualty a while back having injured my back and there was a junkie girl in the waiting room..roaring and shouting that she was "sick" and "needed a doctor".
    When that didnt work she pretended to collapse in the middle of the waiting room causing a load of staff and security to run up to her,wasting a good ten minutes in getting her back on her chair as she kept going limp.

When it became apparant this ruse wasnt working either she became incredibly agressive and threatend to "run amok"..a security guard tried to calm her down but she rounded on him with "ya paki bastard,ya only come here to rob irish people's jobs and get dim pregnant".

All this in a waiting room full of people who were genuinley sick..AND paying 65 quid a pop just to be there..i suspect this little **** wasnt paying a penny and was trying to get sorted out with gear because she'd injected all her money and her regular doctor wouldnt deal with her.

I think the best solution would've been to taser her and throw her back out into the street,her behaviour and sense of entitlement was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

when I saw this thread I could not stop myself from leaving a comment.

I remember one time a few junkies were hanging around my old mans old office a few years ago near the dart, Himself and his mates came running out of the office with there golf sticks swinging. they chase the junkies down the road and kicked one of junkies up the ass and he fell over.

Everyone in the office were looking out the window cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

that walk from connolly up Talbot Street is definitely a bit scarier recently more of the junkies hanging around... not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stormcloud

HAROLDX wrote: »
    What freaks me out is when your buying your luas ticket at jervis stop.they stand over you asking for your change . very intimidating.

Yeah happens an awful lot at the city centre Luas stops. However I was in a small shouting match with the missus at the Luas stop beside a junkie regarding whether or not she should get a return ticket. The junkie did not bother us however still stood by the machine waiting for the next person to use it. I would imagine that the tourists would be surprised and intimidated by the begging/ helping them use the machine for the change.

The smart cards are the way forward.

• Advertisement

Luas Line, Jervis St...

A junkie tried to mug a friend of female friend of mine there recently, at 52kgs some people would describe her as "a slip of a thing", and "easy pickings" for a junkie... WRONG!..

Let me introduce you to her....

She's an MMA fighter (cage fighting)

She's a Judo blackbelt & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt.

And she's an amateur boxer..

4530457796.jpg

55677688a7504571392ml.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

Someone picked on the wrong 'easy target' that afternoon and was beaten to a plup!.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Also known as "Roche 50's" They're actually Valium and the city is awash with them..check along the boardwalk and Quays near by,there's valium packets all over the ground.
    If the junkies cant get heroin or Physeptone they cane a shiitload of valium instead.

I think I have heard the term "browns" being used too.. probably something similar?

I also read in one of the irish newspapers a while back that some OAP's were selling their surplus prescription sleeping pills to "customers" on the boardwalk.

Don't know if theres any truth in that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I definitely have noticed a lot more recently, and in particular I've noticed more of them in areas where I wouldn't have found many before. Grafton St is now crawling with them. And I know there were always a lot around Temple Bar but now there are definitely more.

I take the bus to Marlborough St every day, it's unreal how many of them there are around there. I'm surprised there's not more hassle there, with all the junkies and all the people getting off buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Have to say they have ruined certain areas of the city centre, such as the boardwalks and outside the Custom House. Really do hate getting of the Dart at Tara Street as they seem to haunt that area no stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What did Dublin City Council expect would happen building that boardwalk. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

tibor wrote:
    On recent visits to San Francisco and Hamburg I've seen congregations of junkies, gutter-punks and homeless in or around the main tourist areas that number well above anything I've seen here.

And on recent visits to New York and Belfast I didn't see any.

I hate what they are doing to this city, so much so that I'd vote for whatever politician/party that promised to rid the city centre of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Nolanger wrote: »
    What did Dublin City Council expect would happen building that boardwalk. :rolleyes:
    Lots of things probably, maybe they expected people would walk down it. Pointless saying that we can't build a boardwalk because the junkies might take a liking to it, junkies were as likely to congregate there as anywhere else and if it wasn't there they would go somewhere else.

It can still be really nice to take a stroll down there on a sunny day. Just watch yourself and whatever you do don't walk down there at night

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Seen a scumbag junkie shooting up in full view of everyone on a bench near the Government buildings on Wood Quay 2 months ago. He looked proper scumbag rough - not the pasty zombie kind you see about all the time. The amount of people that were forced to witness this as they walked by, myself included, and had to say nothing was unbelievable. Pure intimidation/fear. God help anyone that would have had the balls to say something to him.

It's a disgrace how the government has allowed the heroin epidemic to get so powerful. I remember not so long ago ordinary decent folk were running these fcukers out but now they have the grip on us. I suppose they didn't carry knives/guns then or at least weren't so easily prepared to use them or their needles back then.

The amount of them about town is unreal. All the petty crime they're inflicting on local businesses around town and the muggings etc is just terrible. The police/government cant take a hard line with them because of human rights issues etc so it's left to ordinary decent folk, who are understandably too frightened these days. God knows how to get rid of them. Can't believe they get bus passes and HSE taxi's either :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When you see judges letting guys with 100+ convictions walk, you have to wonder how many actual crimes they have committed. It must be frustrating as hell for the guards arresting these guys and seeing them back on the streets.

Nolanger wrote: »

They shouldve been allowed to build the boardwalk and normal people should be able to enjoy it without looking at droves of junkies and dealers plying thier trades there.
    The fact is that the Guards have allowed the junbkies to take over certain areas because either they dont give a damn or its not in thier brief.

I've witnessed open heroin dealing going on in Nth Earl St,Marloboro St,Eden Quay,D'Olier St,the Boardwalk,Tara St and Pearse St ALL during the daytime and i've NEVER Seen a guard in any of these areas unless you count driving by at high speed.

However,30 yards away there's always at least two guards standing at the GPO,sometimes four or five..why?
    Are they worried there'll be another easter rising or something?

If members of the public,tourists included can notice whats going on on the streets why cant the guards,and if they're aware of it why the fcuck dont they do something?

As somebody mentioned,back in the 1980's people were taking the law into thier own hands to rid areas of dealers..now the streets of the City Centre are riddled with them and nobody is doing a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seems very very odd. Open dealing with prams and babies under the Gardai's noses. I can't fathom it. Is it laziness on the Gardai's side?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Seems very very odd. Open dealing with prams and babies under the Gardai's noses. I can't fathom it. Is it laziness on the Gardai's side?

Its not as if they're trying to be descrete,i watched a bloke take money bag full of deals out of his shoe in d'olier st one morning and hop around on his other foot untill his customer made thier selection.

Another time i saw a bloke weaving up O'connel st counting a roll of money that would choke a horse,his dirty-arsed tracksuit hanging off him which made me think he hadnt gotten a bonus from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

purpur1 wrote: »
    I remember not so long ago ordinary decent folk were running these fcukers out but now they have the grip on us
    As somebody mentioned,back in the 1980's people were taking the law into thier own hands to rid areas of dealers

Yeah, the Concerned Parents Against Drugs movement. An amazing idea that was really effective but they were up against it all and that's why they faded away really. The Gardai were against them, because they saw them as vigilante groups, the dealers were against them, for obvious reasons. Terrible shame. DCTV funded a really interesting documentary about them called "The Meeting Room" which also features Tony Grogory and Christy Burke. Definitely worth a watch for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I don't know a lot about the subject so I'm only throwing some ideas out here, but imo the problem of addicts is more a fault of poor infrastructural planning and the suburban sprawl of the capital.

Dublin is so small and commerce is condensed in to such a tight area that the addicts and other trouble makers become absolutely apparent.

Judging by the streets of Dublin, you would think we have a much higher amount of addicts per capita than most other cities. But do we? In other cities it seems less of a problem, but unless Ireland has a significantly higher amount of addicts per capita, our unique problems that come from the drugs issue can not be because of the amount of addicts we have, but because of other contributing factors such as urban planning, addiction services and so on.

I would guess that a lot of the addicts come in and out of the city from the surrounding areas (rather than live in the city itself), so they can beg etc. The only reason they'd make this trip is because the city centre is the only place with enough people around to annoy. Because of suburban sprawl, all the problems are trajected inwards in to a very small geographic area where the mix results in a grimier and more unpleasant city environment.

The issue of the scourge of the Dublin junkie was covered on Joe Duffy today, and it wouldn't a genius to guess the locations mentioned - The Board Walk, Tara St/Butt Bridge, Talbot St. and the ajoining streets - including the open, blantant drug dealing happening in plain site of residents, tourists and police!.

Walking up from Eden Quay again today and as usual they were all over the place..including a bloke passed out on marlboro st with some bird complete with buggy selling gear right beside him.
    Ten yards away at the junction of Nth Earl St are two spanish tourists with a map out,obviously lost..i despair for this city..its a fcucking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Walking up from Eden Quay again today and as usual they were all over the place..including a bloke passed out on marlboro st with some bird complete with buggy selling gear right beside him.
    Ten yards away at the junction of Nth Earl St are two spanish tourists with a map out,obviously lost..i despair for this city..its a fcucking disgrace.

Yes, yes it is. There is a lot of whinging about tourist numbers being down, why aren't tourists coming into Irealnd from Britian or the UK, and then the centre of the capital city is like walking onto the set of the Wire!?

It is a disgrace and a constant embarrasment to any decent Irish man/woman..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

John_Rambo wrote: »

No, it's not the Gardai's fault.

It's just that your judicial system is a JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

old_aussie wrote: »
    It's just that your judicial system is a JOKE

Just out of interest : In what way is our system a joke ?

how is the Australian system any better ?

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »
    No, it's not the Gardai's fault.

Really?
    Why then do they think nothing of busting some harmless rocker-type with a bag of dope in stephens green and turn a blind eye to multiply-convicted dirtbags peddling heroin on the city's main thouroughfares?

Why are the guards hanging round the GPO every day ten yards from gangs of junkies brawling right across the street?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement