Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

ha.. what would the difference be if possession was decriminalised..

its not as if they are hiding it or being arrested for possession at the moment. isn't that the point of the thread.

anyway loads of the "undesirables" are alcoholics.

if you don't want to see them stay at home or out in the suburbs

Hmmm maybe legalise drugs which would stop a lot of the street dealing in the open....not too sure...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Niche market

Throw them all on Lamb-bay island to make love with the seals!!!

Poor seals :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1968 wrote: »
    I've heard two people making the point in the last fortnight that the disbandment of the Provisional I.R.A. in 2005 has led to a slow but steady increase in open drug dealing in Dublin City.

Do people think this is true?

You mean those fine upstanding heroes have to find something else to do since their political skills are no longer needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 velvet5

Is it just me or is there more junkies around the city centre lately. Maybe heroin has got cheaper. They are usually invisible but i seen two in the corner of car parks in the last few days. Id prefer if they stayed hidden but they are starting to shoot up in more public places and you dont want that near your home or where you park your car. Walk on a needle and it could be game over

i reckon the gardai should round them up as soon as they see them walking around. Lock them up till the the drugs are out of their system. They are destroying the city center with their anti social behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

velvet5 wrote: »
    i reckon the gardai should round them up as soon as they see them walking around. Lock them up till the the drugs are out of their system. They are destroying the city center with their anti social behavior.

they'd need to be locked up in solitary confinement away from every one else there's prob more drugs on the inside then the outside,and noting is done to stop it in there, it keeps a lid on the place a drugged up junkie is a lot easer to handle then an out of control loonatick high on anger wanting to kill you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I've heard two people making the point in the last fortnight that the disbandment of the Provisional I.R.A. in 2005 has led to a slow but steady increase in open drug dealing in Dublin City.

I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that a certain percentage of those involved in the "armed struggle" on both sides have progressed on to involvement in full blown criminality.

Also I think there has been a major fall off in "community policing" in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Birneybau wrote: »
    Cant be arsed using punctuation or correct spelling eh?

Classic stoner antics!

Can't be arsed contributing constructively?

Classic troll antics I believe.

I really don't know what can be done about the situation. There really isn't enough resources to lock up all these junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

We have a similar thread running over in Commuting and Transport re the Red Line LUAS.

I work on corner of Jervis and Abbey St and am exposed to it daily.

There is a particular and serious problem along various places on Abbey St, including both the LUAS stations.

From the Abbey Theatre to Eden Quay is bad as well, especially the back streets and alleys there where all sorts of dealing goes on.

Go into any shop around Abbey St LUAS , any of the spars and you will see a siege mentality - one of them keeps the sugars for the coffee behind the counter because the junkies just walk in and take them.

Worst I think is the pound store behind Abbey St LUAS, the poor staff in there , it has the look of the Alamo sometimes.

O'Connell St is a troublefree Parisian Boulevard in comparison. No messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Can't be arsed contributing constructively?

Classic troll antics I believe.

STFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I certainly don't think legalising drugs is the answer, especially when the main drugs in question here is heroin.

So it basically sounds like some people here are calling for the legalisation of heroin...

• Advertisement

Lads can we avoid going down the legalizing drugs debate please or we'll have every bleed'n hippy on boards with an agenda in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

spider_pig wrote: »
    they'd need to be locked up in solitary confinement away from every one else there's prob more drugs on the inside then the outside,and noting is done to stop it in there, it keeps a lid on the place a drugged up junkie is a lot easer to handle then an out of control loonatick high on anger wanting to kill you
    Also if you cut off the drug flow to w wing of a prison, when all the junkies get desparate at the same time you'll get riots, I think it's happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Lads can we avoid going down the legalizing drugs debate please or we'll have every bleed'n hippy on boards with an agenda in the thread.
    I think Israel is to blame...

I think Israel is to blame...

And I think I'll flex my muscles & issue you a yellow card warning.

Shalom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I'll respect your wishes and refrain from derailing this rant thread, but as a hard-working, tax-paying citizen I take mild offence to being labelled a hippie because I disagree with prohibition (though I wouldn't like to see heroin outright legalised).

• This thread is shocking. I mean, I always said Dublin had a terrible junkie problem but some of the things on here.....toilets being left covered in blood with dirty needles in......how can the guards just turn a blind eye to this? How can so many people keep a straight face and say it's no worse than anywhere else? I don't know how Dublin has managed to go this long without this stuff getting out among tourists and travel agencies, but if it carries on like this, the tourists won't keep coming for much longer. Every single person I know who has visited in the last year has said what a dirty, drug ridden hole Dublin was and how disappointed they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

I have had a rant about this in the past, especially the dealing around Tara St DART, Talbot Street and Abbey St. Something happened yesterday in work that made me sick.

I work in an office building in the area above and can be accessed through the Irish Life Mall. There is a "guard" on reception but they can go walk-about and all and sundry can make there way up the stairs / lift and knock on our door without anyone informing us they are coming. However you need a pass to get in to our actual office. Our toilets are by the lift on our floor so you dont need a pass to get in there.

I went in to use the jacks and i could hear someone singing / humming away in the cubicle. I though it might be someone from the office (the office joker ya know!). When i went back into the office i noticed all the guys were at their desks. I asked whoever went in next to let me know if they were still there, I thought it might be just be security guard using our toilet. 40 mins later I was told the person was still there so i went in and asked who was in there through the door. Some guy barrelled out - off his head. He started going on about them charging to use the toilet etc etc. And i think he mentioned something about someone stealing his glove. I showed him down the stairs and told him to leave the building or i was calling the guards.

When i went back into the toilet to check what he was up to, i saw he had left his blood splattered on the seat and walls from shooting up. This is the worst of a long and ever growing list of incidents i see on a weekly basis by just walking to and being in work.

I know there are tons upon tons of factors that restrict this from changing but, surely something can be done! People just seems to take it as a given that this is the problem and there is no solution.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'll respect your wishes and refrain from derailing this rant thread, but as a hard-working, tax-paying citizen I take mild offence to being labelled a hippie because I disagree with prohibition (though I wouldn't like to see heroin outright legalised).

Thanks, and stop being so damned thin skinned!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A bloke was found unconcious in the public toilets where i work a while back,they're the only toilets for the visitors going to see the book of kells so they can be quite difficult to keep an eye on.
    Anyway,bloke is a found on the floor of acubicle with the syringe sticking out of his arm..the area is closed off,ambulance is called and paramedics arrive.
    They spend about 20 minutes trying to jump start his heart and eventually manage to bring him around,they then take him off to hosital.
    Within an hour of arriving there he pulls the same trick..goes off somewhere,shoots up and dies..dead as a doornail...so after all the medical care that was tied up in order to save him the selfish cnunt goes and tops himself anyway.

Degsy wrote: »
    A bloke was found unconcious in the public toilets where i work a while back,they're the only toilets for the visitors going to see the book of kells so they can be quite difficult to keep an eye on.
    Anyway,bloke is a found on the floor of acubicle with the syringe sticking out of his arm..the area is closed off,ambulance is called and paramedics arrive.
    They spend about 20 minutes trying to jump start his heart and eventually manage to bring him around,they then take him off to hosital.
    Within an hour of arriving there he pulls the same trick..goes off somewhere,shoots up and dies..dead as a doornail...so after all the medical care that was tied up in order to save him the selfish cnunt goes and tops himself anyway.

If at first you don't succeed.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If at first you don't succeed.... :pac:

Much like Richard Hammond..he got destroyed on Top Gear!

• Degsy wrote: »

Oh well, he would have cost the state even more if he'd survived.

All joking aside, and I'm guilty of it myself. But the lad was someone's father/brother or son.

One poignant reminder to the scourge of drugs in Dublin is the now annual Christmas tree in Sean Mac St. and the cards in the shape of star's and angels marking the death of a loved one to drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I do not believe that to be true. Just ask what happened to drug dealers in "community policed" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

There doesn't seem to be any sort of solution to the problem other then legalizing heroin use as much as it pains me to say it.The Gardai obviously are not able to enforce the law due to a lack of resources and legislation.

I recall seeing a documentary about the same problem's that were occurring in Sweden,the government there devised a scheme where all registered addicts were given free copies of a magazine somewhat akin to the big issue and were allowed to sell it in tourist areas,they then procured heroin off their dealer etc and were allowed to inject in a state sponsored clinic where a nurse and doctor were present and clean syringes etc were available and detox information etc.

It worked out that paying for such facilities was cheaper then prosecuting and imprisoning addicts and also led to a reduction in petty crime and the spread of HIV and Hepatitis C.

Surely it's obvious now that we will never win the so called ''war on drugs'' so maybe this is the only option left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Provisionally

I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that a certain percentage of those involved in the "armed struggle" on both sides have progressed on to involvement in full blown criminality.

Also I think there has been a major fall off in "community policing" in certain areas.

Are you suggesting the IRA is involved in drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Provisionally

The Provisional IRA disbanded in 2005 did it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They've never disbanded, they've stopped armed campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Is it safe to walk in the city centre after 9pm on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lahm wrote: »
    Is it safe to walk in the city centre after 9pm on your own?
    Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement