Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

spurious wrote: »
    Yes.

+1.

But having said that I'm 6'3'' and nearly 20 stone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

+1 doesnt seem to be as many junkies in town later on in the day as there all in homeless hostels and such where you have to be in at a certain time,
    your more likely to come across drunks and club goer's acting the magit late at night in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

+1.

Tempted to say "fat bastard" but I have a feeling you aint, and would lead to an ass kicking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

I don't have any problem with them. I actually like them. At least some of them are polite and better than the rude and bitchy commuters i have to face every day.

They've never disbanded, they've stopped armed campaigns.
    You cant blame the PIRA for the increase in drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Tempted to say "fat bastard" but I have a feeling you aint, and would lead to an ass kicking :(

Suggests he's overweight here:

http://www.kelloggs.ie/health/tools/bmicalculator.aspx

Junkies could easily outrun him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

+1.

+1 also, and I am nothing of the sort. As long as you watch yourself it's not particularly dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

+1 also, and I am nothing of the sort. As long as you watch yourself it's not particularly dangerous.

Not that safe if you have to watch yourself. How safe a person is in the city depends on who they are/what they look like etc etc and timing.

threads kinda goin off topic here its turning into a how safe is town at night thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Toe Twister

There's a good article here about recent Garda operations pushing junkies into the city centre and tourist hotspots.
    There appears to be little if any interest at government level in the blight of heroin in Dublin city centre or of the picture being portrayed to the hundreds of thousands of tourists who visit the city. Aside from moving the street dealing into the centre, the city council and Department of Health have also located most of the big heroin treatment centres in an around the city centre.

Other European cities situate their treatment centres and surgeries for addicts away from their tourist and retail centres. Strict policing also ensures that most urban tourist centres in European cities are safe.
    I know some of them haven't had the best start in life, but these 'hard life' stories have a use by date. If they're making a good effort with treatment fair enough, but if they're spending their days doing nothing else but hanging around the city centre causing trouble they should have their dole cut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a good article here about recent Garda operations pushing junkies into the city centre and tourist hotspots.

I know some of them haven't had the best start in life, but these 'hard life' stories have a use by date. If they're making a good effort with treatment fair enough, but if they're spending their days doing nothing else but hanging around the city centre causing trouble they should have their dole cut.

Read this thread..the cops plainly dont give a shiite about whats going on..there's nothing but excuses tinged with what sounds suspiciously like lazyness.

Degsy wrote: »
    Read this thread..the cops plainly dont give a shiite about whats going on..there's nothing but excuses tinged with what sounds suspiciously like lazyness.
    Bigger fish to fry seems to be the vibe.... Disgusting.

down rite laziness iv often seen gangs a people at the corner of that spar there and gaurds walking up from store street prob just after clocking on and just walk straight by open dealing not batting an eye lid
    id say there too lazy and turn a blind eye dont want to be heading back down the station after clocking on so the dealers get away with it i see this happening on a regular basis

they dont give a **** in that station i had a moped stolen few year back brand new only had it a year stolen from rite beside the spire went straight to store street and noting done about it no cameras checked noting they just dont care

Degsy wrote: »

Bloody hell - if they all started hanging around somewhere like Blackrock it'd get sorted out soon enough. When it's Dublin 1 things seem to get very complicated all of a sudden...

I don't have any problem with them. I actually like them. At least some of them are polite and better than the rude and bitchy commuters i have to face every day.

who junkies...?

Wentto have ascope round the usual junkie haunts today and guess what i saw...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

But was it any quieter in terms of dealing, Degsy?

The Sindo article may have been the final nudge the government/Gardai needed to act like they give a sh1t, at least until things die down.

bugler wrote: »
    But was it any quieter in terms of dealing, Degsy?

The Sindo article may have been the final nudge the government/Gardai needed to act like they give a sh1t, at least until things die down.

Got alink to the sindo article?

There were no junkies in the vicinity of the abbey or the boardwalk..from what i've heard though,they all hopped on the luas and headed off somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is it just me or is there more junkies around the city centre lately. Maybe heroin has got cheaper. They are usually invisible but i seen two in the corner of car parks in the last few days. Id prefer if they stayed hidden but they are starting to shoot up in more public places and you dont want that near your home or where you park your car. Walk on a needle and it could be game over

Yeah I think it has gotten a lot worse, I am home for a few weeks and
    have noticed a lote more, esp around talbot st/henry st as someone mentioned. Also the boardwalk along the liffey is a no go area ... shame .

As regards walking on a needle , i wouldn-t worry - its hardly gonna pierce your shoes, + the HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body so there more dangerous things to worry about - like getting mugged by one of the cnuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

spider_pig wrote: »

Lol at yer man moaning about drug clinics being pushed into the city centre, for years treatment centres were only situated in poor suburbs out of the sight of people who mattered.

We should put one big f**k off drug clinic on kildare street. :)

Bambi wrote: »

We should put one big f**k off drug clinic on kildare street. :)

now that would be an idea if they were all pushed up there and away from tourist hot spots then they'd see it for sure

like who has ever seen a politician stroll up talbot street/marlborough street or the board walk..? where they have seen what the ordinary decent public have to whitness on a daily basis maybe then just maybe they might do something about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

spider_pig wrote: »
    now that would be an idea if they were all pushed up there and away from tourist hot spots then they'd see it for sure

like who has ever seen a politician stroll up talbot street/marlborough street or the board walk..? where they have seen what the ordinary decent public have to whitness on a daily basis maybe then just maybe they might do something about it

The Department of education is on Marlborough Street and also has an entrance at Talbot street so I'm sure a few politicians have been around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I remember reading a post here from a former addict, he said that the easiest solution to the junkie problem would be to give them access to cable TV, Turkish Delight wrappers, and an unlimited supply of heroin. Highly unethical, but I'd doubt you'd see one again in your life :p

The Department of education is on Marlborough Street and also has an entrance at Talbot street so I'm sure a few politicians have been around.

but aren't they mostly in cars been driven from one place to another, in a car you'd pass by there in a couple of seconds you wouldn't see much as you would takeing a walk or parking your car in that little car park on marlborough street which only a mad man would do

throw a big bag a gear in that car park let them all run in after it and drop an atomic bomb over them lol :cool:(i know its a complete exaggeration)

atomic-bomb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Ever hear of these Guys?

http://www.projectprevention.org/

Basically, they are a US non-profit group, which operates in the UK too, and they pay junkies to use long-term birth control or be sterilized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Was drinking in Messr Magiures over the weekend and could see quite the Garda presence on the quays.
    They were certainly hassling the junkies anyway.
    Saw one guard go down the lane to talk to a few that were in it.

All least something is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

xzanti wrote: »
    A person would have to be using Heroin for a long time before you would know it from their appearance.. Most of the older junkies you see around town would be using since early on in life..

I read somewhere that the real hardcore ones you see around the quays are the children of the 'original' junkies from back in the 70's or 80's when heroin was first introduced to Dublin by the likes of the Dunne family.. I actually read that in a post on Boards about a year ago.. Anyone remember that post? It was very interesting..

Then again, some people use heroin and hold steady jobs and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with them at all..

Who are these people?

Who are these people?

You'd be surprised! I worked with one chap a few years ago who was a junkie. The only reason I found out was that I asked to borrow his coat when I was legging it down to the shops and it was raining. I inadvertently put my hand in the pocket when going to pay and pulled out a bit of tinfoil with 'chasing the dragon' marks all over it. Subsequent discreet asking around revealed that he was a junkie. He was well dressed, with a D4 accent - you'd never have guessed!

Also, a mate of mine was working for an advertising company, a couple of lads in the graphics department were junkies and everyone in the place knew, but their work was top notch so noone ever said anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 stormcloud

Walked from Marbrough Street to St Stephens green around two hours ago, town was very quiet, saw increased Garda presence and particularly that Londis on Westmorland street at the corner had nobody hanging outside of it.

Still got asked for change once though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement