Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies in city centre [MOD WARNING POST #331]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

stormcloud wrote: »

Still got asked for change once though

was it the useuall excuse have ya got 20 cent which then turns into a hell of a lot more i often get asked 3 times by the same guys in the one day in space of 2 to 3 hours:mad:
    had one guy from drogheda follow me and a mate nearly the lenght of o connoll street one day for a euro shiitein outta him
    his hole life story and how he wanted money for the bus home the fcker was still in town 2 days later on Marlborough street buyin drugs in different clothes he didn't get a penny outta us tho dead wide to there scams

there does be a fella on henry street every day walks the length of up and down askin for euro if he was successful id say he'd be worth a fortune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

spider_pig wrote: »
    was it the useuall excuse have ya got 20 cent which then turns into a hell of a lot more i often get asked 3 times by the same guys in the one day in space of 2 to 3 hours:mad:
    had one guy from drogheda follow me and a mate nearly the lenght of o connoll street one day for a euro shiitein outta him
    his hole life story and how he wanted money for the bus home the fcker was still in town 2 days later on Marlborough street buyin drugs in different clothes he didn't get a penny outta us tho dead wide to there scams

there does be a fella on henry street every day walks the length of up and down askin for euro if he was successful id say he'd be worth a fortune

There's this skinny bird who knocks around town scabbing money,giving it the whole "i'm about to cry coz i've nowhere to sleep" bullshiit when she asks.

Friend of mine saw her coming out of a house in fairview several times and it wasnt a squat or something.

Last time i saw her she was wearing a BRAND new pair of Nike runners..a very fruitfull occupation,begging.

its a full time job to some a them sit there for 8 hours a day the majority of the people who give out the money adds up every hour they'd easily pull over the €20 mark each hour
    just like the €1 man on henry street in the space of an hour if he was succesfull in his €1 on a 50/50 basis it all adds up
    he ask's everyone he aint a junkie or anything but i reckon he pulls in a tidy little sum throw the dole on top of that its taxless also of course he'd prob come out with more money then the average wage of a hard working person :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

xzanti wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the real hardcore ones you see around the quays are the children of the 'original' junkies from back in the 70's or 80's when heroin was first introduced to Dublin by the likes of the Dunne family.. I actually read that in a post on Boards about a year ago.. Anyone remember that post? It was very interesting..
    Yes! I made brief reference to it earlier in the thread, and I've found it here this evening.

For anyone here, it's well reading board om's contributions from post 104 onwards. They are among the more interesting and memorable posts I've seen on Boards and they're coming from a radically different perspective to what you'd usually see on this site. It seems he was/is a heroin addict and he gives a brief history of heroin in Dublin, some insight into junkie culture, and, for me, put a human face on a demographic many would consider a subspecies.

Seems he hasn't posted for quite a while; hope he's alright.

EDIT: This excerpt is of particular relevance to this thread:
    The 'junkies' had always been congregating in specific areas around the city centre (spar on talbot st, the centra on o'connell st, basically anywhere with a clinic or hostel nearby) to buy and sell drugs and to generally hang out. they are places that they know they can always go to score or offload what ever they need. but recently the shop owners have been making big noise by regularly calling the Gardai and Radio Stations to complain about them hanging around and dealing outside their premises. so the Gardai have started moving them along and arresting them for loitering. also RTE had been videoing them around the Talbot St and Tara ST area and undercover reporters had been buying drugs from them. so these two things combined has left them with nowhere specific to do what ever it is they normally do there, and therefore they are spread out all over town. so instead of just seeing the odd large group of junkies that you used to see, you are now seeing lots of smaller groups instead. so it isnt that there are more of them, its just that they have spread out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

There was a lad who looked like a college student outside the Spar in Phibsborough there on Sunday. Not a junkie or anything but jaysus it still struck that he was begging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

cson wrote: »
    There was a lad who looked like a college student outside the Spar in Phibsborough there on Sunday. Not a junkie or anything but jaysus it still struck that he was begging.
    He may not have been, but contrary to popular opinion, you can't always identify a heroin user by appearance. Heroin use alone does not give you sunken cheeks and eyes, that comes from malnutrition and poor hygiene that result from the self-neglect a chronic addiction can bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

What do you do if a junkie asks you for money on Talbot treet at 11pm?

Is it safe to photograph a junkie?

Lahm wrote: »

you simply say no

and just make sure you don't get caught but run if you do cause all they can do is hobble after ya they'll get no where soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You could offer them money for the picture.

What if you were asked for money and were threatened with a urine filled syringe?

What if the man was athletic and your think you can't outrun him?

What streets do junkies be around?

Would Earl Place, Talbot Lane, Summerhill, Amiens Street be safe to walk around after 11pm?

Do junkies sleep on Henry Street at night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Yes! I made brief reference to it earlier in the thread, and I've found it here this evening.

For anyone here, it's well reading board om's contributions from post 104 onwards. They are among the more interesting and memorable posts I've seen on Boards and they're coming from a radically different perspective to what you'd usually see on this site. It seems he was/is a heroin addict and he gives a brief history of heroin in Dublin, some insight into junkie culture, and, for me, put a human face on a demographic many would consider a subspecies.

Seems he hasn't posted for quite a while; hope he's alright.

EDIT: This excerpt is of particular relevance to this thread:

That quote was interesting.....there used to be a small town's worth of junkies hanging around the road beside Tara st station, but they seem to have largely cleared off elsewhere....

What if you were asked for money and were threatened with a urine filled syringe?

What if the man was athletic and your think you can't outrun him?

What streets do junkies be around?

Would Earl Place, Talbot Lane, Summerhill, Amiens Street be safe to walk around after 11pm?

Do junkies sleep on Henry Street at night?

Look, it is like any city. You keep your wits about you, don't go down any lanes that are blocked off easily, if someone asks you for money politely turn them down and keep walking or give them some if you feel charitable. If threatened with a weapon either give in or fight if you are feeling courageous / stupid. Stop going through all the worse case scenarios in your head, just come to Dublin and enjoy what it has to offer.
    Junkies are more of a nuisance than anything, some may be dangerous but very few, and you get that anywhere, including any other city you have been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Do you guys really think Talbot street is that bad?!

I live around the area and would walk past pretty much every day, at all hours. Never had any hassle. Sure you SEE the junkies but they don't really do anything they just stand around. They've never bothered me for money/caused trouble.

I'd choose junkies over scumbag knackers anyday.
    I feel the same way. You're much safer around junkies than scumbag kids, junkies can be annoying when they hassle you but are not *generally* dangerous. That said, I have heard plenty of stories about people being mugged by junkies. It's the luck of the draw really. If you come across a junky when he's desparate and there's no one else around, anything could happen.

There's also the matter of *how* they mug you. I'd rather get a couple of black eyes than stabbed with a syringe any day, though I acknowledge that the latter is probably very rare. I also hear more stories about people who have managed to get away from junkies trying to mug them, because as has been said junkies are weaker and less able to chase you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

WindSock wrote: »
    Look, it is like any city. You keep your wits about you, don't go down any lanes that are blocked off easily, if someone asks you for money politely turn them down and keep walking or give them some if you feel charitable. If threatened with a weapon either give in or fight if you are feeling courageous / stupid. Stop going through all the worse case scenarios in your head, just come to Dublin and enjoy what it has to offer.
    Junkies are more of a nuisance than anything, some may be dangerous but very few, and you get that anywhere, including any other city you have been to.

Dont feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

1968 wrote: »
    I've heard two people making the point in the last fortnight that the disbandment of the Provisional I.R.A. in 2005 has led to a slow but steady increase in open drug dealing in Dublin City.

Do people think this is true?

I think there is truth to that.I know that in Cork the provos always did a great job of making sure that heroin didn't take a hold here.In Cork heroin started becoming a problem in 06 and it has been getting worse every year since then.Junkies begging on the streets are now a common site here with Merchants Quay,Andersons Quay and Oliver Plunkett Street being areas where they hang out a lot.I did think that people were overhyping the problem here but a few weeks ago i saw two junkies approaching people for money on Oliver Plunkett Street.A mate of mine who is from Dublin has told me that is only the start of it it's only going to get worse and worse.I just hope that maybe Cork learns from the mistakes of places like Dublin and Glasgow etc.I was in Dublin last november and to be honest apart from a few junkies on Eden Quay and the boardwalk i didn't think it was that bad but then again i didn't frequent places like Abbey Street and Talbot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Is it safe to walk in the city centre after 9pm on your own?

Well it's not much of a distance but i walked from the olympia to the adams trinity hotel at 11pm at night and i felt very safe.The street did seem to be calm enough.

Mr.S wrote: »
    South city center, perfectly fine. North city center is a bit different, i've walked home between 1-5am before and while nothings ever happened, I've always been a bit sketchy. There are some dodgy characters out, especially around the council house areas.

But sure thats with any city, walking around at night on your own, you just become a target if your unlucky enough to pass scumbags.

I walked from Ranelagh to Glasnevin at 2am one Friday night wearing a suit. No major drama whatsoever; I had my story straight if I got hassle - I was after getting sent down today despite dolling meself up for court :D

How long did it take to walk from Ranelagh to Glasnevin?

Bout an hour and half; 3 stops for chips on the way :D

- Luigi's Ranelagh
    - Ricks Dame St
    - Golden Chip Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd choose junkies over scumbag knackers anyday.

I'll second that completely. Walked Marlborough street twice a day for the last 5 years, never had problems with Junkies. I've seen them dealing / taking drugs, yet never felt threatened by them or around them, most of them are in such a state they couldn't do anything.

Some of the "local" knackers are a different story though, in the last 5 years I've been spat at a few times and I've had a brick thorwn at me as well, not pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Most of them are just offensive to look rather than harmful, does it actualluy scare people if they asked for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lux23 wrote: »
    Most of them are just offensive to look rather than harmful, does it actualluy scare people if they asked for money?

Doesn't matter if it scares people or not. I'm not a walking ATM, for chuggers or zombied junkies. F*** off and get out of my face. Why should people just accept it? Made the mistake of going to give money once and it just led to aggro. There are enough services around the city that nobody should to be going person to person on the street asking for cash.

What would you do if your are spat at?

How do you deal with it? What if the spit goes into your mouth or ear?

Have you ever heard of someone in Dublin putting someone else up against a wall and spitting down their throat to kill them?

Have you ever heard of someone in Dublin putting someone else up against a wall and spitting down their throat to kill them?

Yes, that happens very frequently. I believe it is one of the 3 highest causes of death in Dublin. I am due a trip into the city centre soon, but thinking of that has put me off now. Last time I was there, I turned my head just in time and the gollier missed and hit the wall. I managed to get away as the junky was summoning up a fresh batch of phlegm. Narrowly escaped meeting my maker that day I did.

WindSock wrote: »
    Yes, that happens very frequently. I believe it is one of the 3 highest causes of death in Dublin. I am due a trip into the city centre soon, but thinking of that has put me off now. Last time I was there, I turned my head just in time and the gollier missed and hit the wall. I managed to get away as the junky was summoning up a fresh batch of phlegm. Narrowly escaped meeting my maker that day I did.

Yea. That is scary. There are some rough fellas in and around Talbot Street by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

cson wrote: »
    Bout an hour and half; 3 stops for chips on the way :D

- Luigi's Ranelagh
    - Ricks Dame St
    - Golden Chip Phibsborough

3 stops for chips in an hour and a half?

I think you've got a problem. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

[MOD]**Time for some of you to update yourselves on the forum charter**[/MOD]
    * Advocating, condoning or soliciting information about breaking the law is prohibited. Any such posts will be deleted and the poster banned from the forum.

Lads, stop acting the maggot with telescopic battons & baseball bats ffs.

reader beware im locked speaking these words so spelling and punctuation and all that are outta here :D

just back from town was out in bray got off train at tara went board walk to get my bus as i live in marino got asked by a big gang a them did i want any jack and jills i gave them a piece a my mind (been so drunk as i am) i went accross thre road to the bus stop to be called apun by said junkies and went back and exchanged words and stood at the wall then a ban gaurd came along moved them all along and tryed to say i was with them (cause i was in a celtic track suit and celtic runners) but i quickly said laughing i aint no junkie and she said her sorrys and we had a conversation which is between me and her and our views are equal on this situation they are notin but dirt and some a these had new borns but i realy wanted to knock some sense into these two fools and even the gaurd said it they are not worth it and are vermin to this city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

spider_pig wrote: »
    reader beware im locked speaking these words so spelling and punctuation and all that are outta here :D

Not bad, easy to understand, well done sir :cool:

• Advertisement

What would you do if your are spat at?

How do you deal with it? What if the spit goes into your mouth or ear?

this troll must be so hungry by now degsy was rite dont feed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement