Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TL;DR

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum...

Was just wondering if we could dissuade people from replying to posts with nothing but TL;DR? Mainly happens in After Hours. I mean if people are incapable of reading over 100 words in one go that's fair enough, they don't have to read them. But what exactly is the point of them advertising the fact in the thread? Just clutters things up and serves no purpose. Is also pretty rude to the people that took the time to put a bit of effort into one of thier posts.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

you could ask them nicely?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Banning "your ma" was one of the best things to happen to After Hours, but banning every single clichéd meme would be over-kill. There was a request to ban something else a few days ago.

In cases where it is offensive, report it and the poster will more than likely be told to cop on.
    In cases where the OP is just a rambling nonsense-rant, TL;DR is more of a response than they even deserve.
    Anything in between usually gets drowned out in the swell of proper responses anyway.

Also, how long does it take to scroll away from a 5 character post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dont see why the people who start those threads dont put a little synopsis at the end for those of us who are in work and dont have time to read such a long first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In cases where it is offensive, report it and the poster will more than likely be told to cop on.
    In cases where the OP is just a rambling nonsense-rant, TL;DR is more of a response than they even deserve.
    Anything in between usually gets drowned out in the swell of proper responses anyway.

Also, how long does it take to scroll away from a 5 character post?

Who are you to judge?

I suppose the point is if thats all the poster sees fit to add to a thread, he/she would have been better off typing nothing. Its not about scrolling past such shorthand its about the lack of respect indicated by using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I blame Wibbs. He's the catalyst for TL;DR

:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm just another poster, Mike, the same as anyone else. I judge things as and when I see them. That's human nature, and is not reserved solely for threads on the Feedback Forum of Boards.ie ;)

Of course TL;DR can be disrespectful. I'm sure the PI, Politics, Religion and Humanities mods in particular treat it with the disdain it deserves. I just don't think a blanket ban on the phrase across the whole site is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would it not be easier to dissuade people from posting long posts?

seamus wrote: »
    OMG!!?! what if we limited all posts to 140 charact......

seamus! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

mike65 wrote: »
    seamus! :eek:

You are sure not to fall foul of a word limit unless its set a 10 words

Your previous post on this thread is the longest ive seen from mike65 since at least 2008

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

seamus wrote: »

Hmmm,

Wonder how easy it'd be to dissuade RopeDrink?

snyper

I don't like needless verbage as its so often the preserve of those with a student mind-set who are still trying to impress the examiner but if and when several hundred words are required then that's fair enough!.

Oh and "Yor Ma" while I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Far easier to selectively ignore it than it would be to enforce a rule against it or have to avoid saying it at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

your ma
    mike65 wrote: »
    Yor Ma

How quickly they forget. 'Yore Ma' fades into oblivion - sadly.:(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    How quickly they forget. 'Yore Ma' fades into oblivion - sadly.:(
    faded into yore ma's oblivion last night!

/coat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Adam wrote: »
    faded into yore ma's oblivion last night!

/coat
    she did mention how quickly you ...ahem...'faded'

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The thing about TLDR is that it's a pathetically stupid response. You have two possible meanings to it

Too Long Didn't Read = A Pointless post to tell everyone you didn't read the thread.

Too Long Don't Read = Again completely pointless as it warns people not to read a post they already will have read / decided not to read before scrolling down to see your pearl of wisdom. (For most users anyway using standard layouts)

I see anyone posting TLDR as being akin to a troll / spammer tbh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think people often just cut and paste too much stuff into a thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

thread = TL;DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The thing about TLDR is that it's a pathetically stupid response. You have two possible meanings to it

Too Long Didn't Read = A Pointless post to tell everyone you didn't read the thread.

Too Long Don't Read = Again completely pointless as it warns people not to read a post they already will have read / decided not to read before scrolling down to see your pearl of wisdom. (For most users anyway using standard layouts)

I see anyone posting TLDR as being akin to a troll / spammer tbh. :)
    TL;DR = I have the attention span of an Oh look shiney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like most things, it had a initially decent comedic value: as a response to rambling, insane OPs but I agree it's overused now. But then again, so are many others (Coke and Hookers /Amp Cards/....overlords) that don't seem to draw flak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I wouldn't mind seeing it given the boot, like 'Yore Ma'.

Have seen people post it when there was just ten lines of text.

If the OP is too much to read, just close the thread and try another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

strobe wrote: »

Was just wondering if we could dissuade people from replying to posts with nothing but TL;DR? Mainly happens in After Hours. I mean if people are incapable of reading over 100 words in one go that's fair enough, they don't have to read them. But what exactly is the point of them advertising the fact in the thread? Just clutters things up and serves no purpose. Is also pretty rude to the people that took the time to put a bit of effort into one of thier posts.

TL;DR

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It can be funny at times.

Otherwise, just ignore it. It doesn't take much of a scroll wheel to flick past it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

strobe wrote: »

Isnt that Threadspoiling?

Overheal wrote: »
    Isnt that Threadspoiling?
    no, this is thread spoiling...

IN THE END THE THREAD SINKS AND LEO DIES TO DEATH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Sometimes, it is handy to include in a post. I have 30 posts a page but there are still many "help" threads that run on for 30 pages or so. If I am looking for a solution to a problem that is relevant to that thread, it is helpful for those helping me to know that I haven't read the entire thread which would be close to 1,000 posts and that previous remedies may work. Before asking for a solution I will try a search of the thread with some keywords relating to my problem.

Advertisement