Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decryption of files that were encrypted with Windows encryption

• 28-07-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

Hopefully I am in the right forum.

My problem is I encrypted some files on my laptop with the standard windows encryption, which is grand. Then water was spilt on my laptop :mad: and now it won't boot up. I have taken out the hard-drive and can see all my files but I cannot open the files that have need encrypted. What do I do? :confused:

Thanks

ChristyM

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

can you fit the hd into another laptop and then boot it up,it should boot as if it was yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are you talking about Windows bitlocker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

If you used windows bitlocker you may be in luck http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/05/windows_bitlocker_attacks/

If on the other hand you used some other program like truecrypt then the only way to access your files is via a brute force attack i imagine-depending how complex your settings were-did you use passwords or keyfiles?

You do have external back up's dont you?

I'm assuming you're using the standard Windows EFS encryption? Without the certificate I'm not sure what you can do, I keep a copy of my cert as a .pfx file to protect myself from mishaps.

edit
    Actually... there is something you can do. You can attempt to boot the OS on another machine. It doesn't always work (though I can help you there), but if you can even get it into safe mode that should be good enough.

Advertisement