Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Dublin need?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Saw a similar thread in a Leicester forum, and got me thinking. Is there anything Dublin doesn't have but could do with.

I'd say a good food market, similar to Borough Market in London, which sells good quality fresh food. The few markets around the place are too small. You can buy practically anything in Borough Market.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Grupouva

A reliable integrated transport system thats safe to travel on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Blisterman wrote: »
    Saw a similar thread in a Leicester forum, and got me thinking. Is there anything Dublin doesn't have but could do with.

I'd say a good food market, similar to Borough Market in London, which sells good quality fresh food. The few markets around the place are too small. You can buy practically anything in Borough Market.

To be honest, there wouldn't be a market.... for that market, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno how big the London market is but if Cork can sustain the English Market then Dublin must be able to do something similair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Gardai with balls, to get rid of junkie scum! Sorry, had to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I would love to see more late night cafes. It's nearly impossible to sit with a cup of coffee after 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Grupouva wrote: »
    A reliable integrated transport system thats safe to travel on

Yup, a Metro covering all the main points of Greater Dublin would be first on the wishlist. Link the tickets between all forms of transport into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I would love to see more late night cafes. It's nearly impossible to sit with a cup of coffee after 10pm.

Even after 7/8pm it can be a stretch. We just don't have that in us culturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mEv4tPekI

Martin Cullen knows what Dublin needs!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

A theme park or a good arcade not just full of gambling machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Get rid of the spire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,375 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

decent outdoor leisure facilities. Was in germany last week and its possible to walk or cycle along most rivers away from traffic. I'd go with that scheme that was mentioned before of a cycleable track from Dalkey to Sutton.

Another idea based on a city park I saw in Dortmund. Charge an entry fee into the phoenix park but actually provide some nice facilities. most of the park looks like a bloody farm at the moment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

A proper decent sized regularly scheduled flea market like you see in other cities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Obviously things other places take as normal like an integrated transit sytem, rail link to airport, a police force that enforce the law and are seen to do so etc..

I would like -
    a covered permanent market like the English market in Cork or Grenville Island market in Vancouver.
    a high end bakery chain, selling good and varied breads like you get in European bakeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Carpet bombing :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

donaghs wrote: »
    A proper decent sized regularly scheduled flea market like you see in other cities.

http://www.dublinflea.ie/

I definitely agree about the lack of "cafe culture". There's nothing wrong with staying out late and just wanting a coffee! At the moment it's basically pub or home :rolleyes: Surely you can get coffee in most pubs, but it's the whole idea of late night cafes that's needed here. Being able to sit outside, or inside with some nice, unobtrusive music in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Twee. wrote: »
    http://www.dublinflea.ie/

I definitely agree about the lack of "cafe culture". There's nothing wrong with staying out late and just wanting a coffee! At the moment it's basically pub or home :rolleyes: Surely you can get coffee in most pubs, but it's the whole idea of late night cafes that's needed here. Being able to sit outside, or inside with some nice, unobtrusive music in the background.

I've been to the Newmarket Square Flea Market. No bigger than Blackberry Fair was? Slightly tidier admittedly. Kind of hit and miss, varies from week to week. not what I meant when I said a proper flea market. E.g. knowing that if you show up on a given day there will be stalls with a decent selection of stuff, e.g. music, books, antiques, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Is Mother Redcaps still going? That was a pretty good market IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

power hosing of all streets for once and for all
    the banning of those horrendous gray track suit bottoms
    the banning of all track suits
    the banning of that horrendous skanger women’s hair style - the unwashed rat's tail thingy
    Trapping neutering and spaying of such women and their fellas
    a decent public accountable public transport system
    enforcing of the littering acts
    enforcement of the drinking in public acts
    enforcement of the peeing and pooping in public acts
    Police not guards
    Greek and Turkish restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

• A bowling alley
    • More cafes that are open in the evening/night
    • More smoking areas/gardens in bars or cafes
    • Removing supermacs from Dublin
    • Zero tolerance to junkies/scumbags
    • Temple Bar square is a big mess, fix it!
    • Give landlords a time limit to fill a building so they are not leaving it vacant for years
    • Make Lemon sell pancakes for under three euro, yum!
    • Create a mute button for all taxi drivers
    • Proper flea markets
    • Any chance you can blow up fitzsimons?
    • Make a Spire-high version of Molly Malone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

• A bowling alley
    • More cafes that are open in the evening/night
    • More smoking areas/gardens in bars or cafes
    • Removing supermacs from Dublin
    • Zero tolerance to junkies/scumbags
    • Temple Bar square is a big mess, fix it!
    • Give landlords a time limit to fill a building so they are not leaving it vacant for years
    • Make Lemon sell pancakes for under three euro, yum!
    • Create a mute button for all taxi drivers
    • Proper flea markets
    • Any chance you can blow up fitzsimons?
    • Make a Spire-high version of Molly Malone
    there is plenty of bowling alleys around, you mean in the city center?
    whats wrong with the square exaclty?

METRO is defo what we need, not a proper city until we have one! Can't wait for it to be built in 2030 probrably.
    SKYSCRAPERS! up is the way; probably best suited to the docklands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Dublin needs:

More pedestrianised streets
    More public squares and spaces
    More outdoor seating for cafes / bars
    A large market
    Allows bars and clubs to stay open till 4-5
    Late night DARTs, bus and Luas
    The Metro and Interconnector, and integrated ticketing for all modes of transport.
    Increased Garda presence
    Zero tolerance for anti social behaviour

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

integrated ticketing for all modes of transport.

Much needed. The current travel card system is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Twee. wrote: »
    Much needed. The current travel card system is ridiculous.

Afaik Luas and Darts will be integrated soon. Luas and Bus already are iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

An original idea like a Dublin Eye so we can see the wonders of Dublin from afar. Oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fringe wrote: »
    An original idea like a Dublin Eye so we can see the wonders of Dublin from afar. Oh wait..

Took their time to bring the wheel to the Point. Hard to believe it took a developer to get the wheel and the weekend market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The amount of stuff that people want on this thread that already exists in Dublin is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

adamski8 wrote: »
    SKYSCRAPERS! up is the way; probably best suited to the docklands.

not going to happen. 4 story building limit approved by the council on Tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

An ice rink!

When I was a kid I used to go to the Silver Skate in Phibsboro or the one in Dolphin's Barn (can't remember the name of that one). Most recently, there was one, very briefly, in Charlestown but that's also gone now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

hack down that wheel in the point for a start. annoys me that no-one came up with an innovative idea and just coppied what london did.

integrated travel system, obviously.
    do something, anything about the junkies!
    robot guards
    more street/cultural festivals
    more pubs with open sessions
    less pubs with really loud djs where you cant talk to one another
    decent nightclubs for non-skangers
    anexation of lambay island

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the underground. the metro may be going ahead but we dont hear anything about new [undergound] lines being planned

Advertisement