Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Dublin need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I used to dislike Dublin... until I moved rural to Wexford... I now love the place and forgive it of all it's sins, an underground would be REALLY handy though...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

silverharp wrote: »
    decent outdoor leisure facilities. Was in germany last week and its possible to walk or cycle along most rivers away from traffic. I'd go with that scheme that was mentioned before of a cycleable track from Dalkey to Sutton.

Another idea based on a city park I saw in Dortmund. Charge an entry fee into the phoenix park but actually provide some nice facilities. most of the park looks like a bloody farm at the moment

You can already walk or cycle off-road along the coast from Fairview Park to Sutton, with just a 1.5km bit on road. More of this route is planned.

Or, if you're willing to put up with kissing gates, you can cycle from on the Grand Canal "green" route from beside Blackhorse Luas in Inchicore to Adamstown / Lucan area. The Royal Canal is also accessible, but not as good for cyclists.

There's also loads of off-road cycle tracks in the Phoenix Park.

And there's a 2km route along the river from Chapelizod to the Irish National War Memorials Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ice hockey team
    (and a venue to support them)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

People with Pride, the old fashioned way.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

+1 for the Ice Hockey team.
    Dublin needs a permanent ice rink. We'd have a professional team like in Belfast, plus underage teams for boys and girls.

And people can do figure skating too, we could do with some Olympic medals though we have a long way to go.

Of course, it would be open to the public too at scheduled times when games and training wasn't on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Close down garda stations in underpopulated rural areas, move the guards to Dublin, ruthlessly suppress all anti-social behaviour and clear the city of all skangers and junkies. They're like a foul plague poisoning the city slowly. Finally, ignore all human rights bleatings as the decent folk reclaim the city.

Close down garda stations in underpopulated rural areas

This has been pretty much already been accomplished! :(
    And the remaining areas will lose their service too, as well as their Post office and anything else they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

• A bowling alley
    • More cafes that are open in the evening/night
    • More smoking areas/gardens in bars or cafes
    • Removing supermacs from Dublin
    • Zero tolerance to junkies/scumbags
    • Temple Bar square is a big mess, fix it!
    • Give landlords a time limit to fill a building so they are not leaving it vacant for years
    • Make Lemon sell pancakes for under three euro, yum!
    • Create a mute button for all taxi drivers
    • Proper flea markets
    • Any chance you can blow up fitzsimons?
    • Make a Spire-high version of Molly Malone

Why did you pick on Supermacs??? At least they're an Irish company rather than the multi national McDonalds or Burger King. I'd much rather see an Irish business in Dublin city centre than the other two.

South Dublin city could do with a cinema actually as the only one is the Irish film centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Why did you pick on Supermacs??? At least they're an Irish company rather than the multi national McDonalds or Burger King. I'd much rather see an Irish business in Dublin city centre than the other two.

South Dublin city could do with a cinema actually as the only one is the Irish film centre.

and the screen, and swan cinemas in rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Cause Supermacs is awful! It does not matter how many toy vending machines you put in it, it is tacky and serves crap food. Plus, supermacs is a treat best left for when you visit outside Dublin ;)

• Advertisement

and the screen, and swan cinemas in rathmines

Forgot about the Screen :o. Rathmines isn't the city centre though.

Forgot about the Screen :o. Rathmines isn't the city centre though.

no but its only a few minutes walk outside and its a deadly cinema. worth a look if you want to avoid the screaming kids you get at cineworld or dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Dublin must have more cinemas than any other city in the world. They seem to open a new one every few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Blisterman wrote: »
    Dublin must have more cinemas than any other city in the world. They seem to open a new one every few weeks.

Tell that to the Tallaghtfornians. UCI closed their branch there despite it been in a big shopping centre.

Blisterman wrote: »

None in the city centre though....we'll be like an American city before we know it if suburbanisation keeps up :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

None in the city centre though....we'll be like an American city before we know it if suburbanisation keeps up :(

Are you joking? :)

There's Cineworld on Parnell Street, The Savoy on O'Connell Street, Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar, The Screen on D'Olier Street, and the Light House in Smithfield. The Swan in Rathmines also isn't that far from the city centre and there's plans for another cinema at the St Stephens Green Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

indoor water parks will do for me !!

aspasp1 wrote: »
    indoor water parks will do for me !!

National Aquatic Center
    • The Masterblaster
    • The Dark Hole
    • The Green Giant
    • The Flow Rider
    • The Wave Pool
    • The Lazy River
    • The Pirate Ship

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

A good mid sized concert venue like the Manchester Apollo or Brixton Academy

For bands that are too big for the Olympia but too small for the Point/O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Jedward statues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

A decent high street. Either get rid of the fast food chains on Grafton Street or make O'Connell street a decent high street by encouraging high-street shops to set up there and once again getting rid of the fast food chains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a statue of Luke Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

A high speed rail network :D , dangerous but it would be cool.

Make some sort of transport use of the 2 canals.

Skyscrapers. I think they are cool and would show that Dublin is a modern city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Anita Blow wrote: »
    A decent high street. Either get rid of the fast food chains on Grafton Street or make O'Connell street a decent high street by encouraging high-street shops to set up there and once again getting rid of the fast food chains

"High Street"? Let me see, you're British? What next the "British Isles"?

Dublin needs to be cleaner, much much cleaner. The idea above to remove all the fat shops/take aways and sex shops/leprechaun shops from O Connell Street is one I'd support fully.

There is a huge lack of civic pride and of voluntarism here.

How about an integrated rail transport system, one big Luas that can go underground, overground or whatever. Why they want to go and do a 'Metro' is just adding more chaos. Keep it simple, keep it uniform, keep it organised.

Des wrote: »
    a statue of Luke Kelly

It would be better than the statue around Grafton Street to that drug addict. But political correctness - the drug addict had a darker skin colour - triumphed over a greater voice, illegal drugs triumphed over legal drugs (I surmise/assume Luke was an alco?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

what does dublin need?

A new keeper.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "High Street"? Let me see, you're British? What next the "British Isles"?

Weve got a high street. It runs from christchurch to lower bridge street, and I believe its viking in origin

• Advertisement

Weve got a high street. It runs from christchurch to lower bridge street, and I believe its viking in origin

High Street (proper noun) is so-called because there used to be a High Cross there. "high street" (common noun) is a uniquely British term for what we call the 'main street'.

Advertisement