Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord tipping refuse?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I've a nagging feeling our landlord is employing someone to dump our rubbish illegally. Rubbish collection charges are included in the rent so I've no idea who is providing the service. There are no bins just a room where you toss your bagged rubbish. It gets removed -not often enough for my liking- by a guy with a non-descript van.

I guess the guy could just be taking it to the dump. But other behaviour by the landlord makes me worry.

Is there anything I can do about this short of talking to him*?

*(experience has told me to avoid this).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I've a nagging feeling our landlord is employing someone to dump our rubbish illegally. Rubbish collection charges are included in the rent so I've no idea who is providing the service. There are no bins just a room where you toss your bagged rubbish. It gets removed -not often enough for my liking- by a guy with a non-descript van.

I guess the guy could just be taking it to the dump. But other behaviour by the landlord makes me worry.

Is there anything I can do about this short of talking to him*?

*(experience has told me to avoid this).

If they are dumping it illegally and they (the council) find anything that identifies eg an addressed letter you you will get the blame for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

be sure to shred and burn anything you are throwing away with a name or address on it! Apart from that, i dunno, tell him you need waste receipts for claiming tax back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Surely it's worth contacting DCC and explaining your concerns. The guy collecting waste would have to have a permit, wouldn't he? They should investigate it. If anything of yours does turn up in an illegal dumping ground at least you will be able to point to your suspicions you raised to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bugler wrote: »
    The guy collecting waste would have to have a permit, wouldn't he?

Yes, you are required to hold a valid permit for the jurisdiction you are collecting in. The costs involved in getting such a permit is extremely high (valid insurance, newspaper ad etc). There are exceptions granted rarely and it's also allowed if it's incidental (such as a landscaper bringing green waste to a facility after a garden makeover).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

get the man in a van's reg, and ask DCC about it. Otherwise, if a letter with your name on it is found in the rusbbish, you'll get fined for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I never put anything with my name on it in the rubbish, instead shedding and burning it in the fire at home.

Like the others have said, maybe you should contact your local council and explain your concerns. That way you might have covered yourself should your name and address be found in bags which have been illegally dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

If you are paying refuse charges you can claim tax relief for it. The landlord is probably scamming here, He is either getting it dumped illegally or getting it dumped correctly and then claiming tax relief for it. This is your tax relief not his!!

Let him know that you need an invoice from the waste guy with his waste permit on it so you can claim tax relief on the refuse charges that you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm moving in about a month anyway, but I'll shred everything till then. I'm hoping all he's doing is scamming tax and not getting someone to dump it somewhere. I might ring the council about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm moving in about a month anyway, but I'll shred everything till then. I'm hoping all he's doing is scamming tax and not getting someone to dump it somewhere. I might ring the council about it too.

Make sure no letters are arriving after you leave either like mailing lists that have your name on them

Advertisement