Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed bus lane for Forster Street

Options
  • 28-07-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Are City Council for real proposing dedicated bus lane for Forster Street, do the guys making these mad decisions reside in quiet rural traffic free areas. Any city resident know this lane would be disastrous. The delays with 2 car lanes is already unbearably slow, perhaps if the taxis hoarding spaces were relocated? And they will have to remove the lovely sculpute erected in the memory of Magdelen women to where?! Suggestions on a post card to City Hall! Does anyone think this is insane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

DRSPOK wrote: »
    Does anyone think this is insane

No.
    More bus lanes for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

More bus lanes = more people on buses = less cars = better traffic flow

As we've discussed here before, a lot of problems on Forster St are caused by taxi drivers clogging up Foster St. and blocking the pedestrian crossing outside Fibber McGees by either using it as a parking space or waiting till the taxi rank opposite is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DRSPOK

What about people who need cars to travel non bus routes to work?
    What about the residents of Forster Street who are about to lose their parking permits? What about our visitors to the city trying to check into the hotels on the street? This bus lane is NOT going to deter people from driving to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i agree, its insane!

we already have enough problems with the taxis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

skelliser wrote: »
    i agree, its insane!
    we already have enough problems with the taxis.

The taxis are not required to be there, illegally parked as they are
    A bus lane from eyre square to the suburbs is required to ferry the hoi polloi to their low waged jobs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

DRSPOK wrote: »
    What about people who need cars to travel non bus routes to work?
    What about the residents of Forster Street who are about to lose their parking permits? What about our visitors to the city trying to check into the hotels on the street? This bus lane is NOT going to deter people from driving to the city.

You're right, they're all valid points.

However, I do think that if you offer people viable public transport solutions then they will leave their cars behind and it will ease traffic in the city centre.

Most people don't want to be stuck in their cars negotiating city traffic. However, when there's a good alternative they will leave the cars behind (number 9 is a good example of a bus that's very popular now due to a frequent service AND a bus lane all the way into town).

I think that a bus lane being in place would really tempt people to leave the car behind as they would know that they'd have a "clear" road into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's quicker taking the bus from one side of the city to the other I think people will start leaving the car at home and walk to the bus stop.

If it means less cars I'm all for it. In my experience people that have the option of a bus will take the car anyway because it's more convenient, and blame it on shopping bags or that the buses are unreliable (they are but maybe that's because there's no lanes for them in city centre?).

Yes, it'll be inconvenient for residents and hotel guests but I'm hoping the planners have solutions for this.
    For hotel guests it won't be a biggie, we all used to park in multi-storeys and drag the bags to the hotel anyway.

Space Needed To Transport 60 People: Car vs. Bus vs. Bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I always here this being bandied about. Get more people on buses and the traffic problems will ease. Show me an example in ireland of where this has worked.

Before you go and dig up roads, show me a quality bus service, where the buses are on time and not an hour late, where the driver is polite and doesnt stop to chat to others bus drivers, have a fag whilst im waiting on the bus.

Planning, forward thinking etc. im afraid are not in the dictionary of irish officialdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The proposal is a bus-lane, not a bus-road: there will still be another lane for other traffic to use.

People checking into the hotels cannot pull up outside now: there are double-yellow lines there already, and the hotels have car-parks and drop-zones that are accessed from around the corner in <<the street that Fairgreen House is in>>. That won't change.

Will the residents of Forster St really lose their parking permits? Or will they just be allowed to park in different streets. TBH, I don't think it's reasonable to expect to park right outside your house when you live in the inner city. (and yes, I do live in the city).

Advertisement