Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about cat injuries

Options
  • 28-07-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi all, just have a question regarding an injury my cat has; a strange raised cut about a centimeter long and a large irregular patch of bald skin around it, under his 'armpit' area on his front right leg. don't know what could have caused it, it doesnt seem to be hurting him too much but he does lick it often. he hasn't gotten any sort of injury before and i don't really know what to do in these situations, im probably just being an 'overprotective mammy' but whats the best thing to do with these things; leave him to clean it himself? wash it with warm salt water? obviously i will monitor it and bring him to the vet if it isnt helaing, but how quick would you expect it to heal, what are the signs to look out for in terms of infection etc? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

is it bleeding? or just open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Don't wash it with warm salt water for your own good! The cat will probably just turn to a ball of fluff with lots of sharp bits and they'll be aimed at you!

If you sent to the vet I don't think you be be the 'overprotective mammy' as you put it. It does sound like it needs the vet 'a strange raised cut about a centimeter long' does not sound good and then the bald skin. Safest bet to bring it to a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

How long has it been there?

Personally, if its not weeping or bleeding and looks like its healing by itself id leave it. Dont put any products on it (he'll only lick it off).

If it gets bigger, the cat starts limping or theres any kind of a discharge from it ...vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

thanks for the replies, he (miraculously) let me get another look at it there, it's such an awkward place! it does seem to be healing in that a scab is forming, it's not open, bleeding, or weeping. it's just the missing fur that is weird but i suppose that's due to however he got the cut. it does seem to look better than i thought, and he let me touch it without ripping my eyes out so it mustn't hurt him! it's been there since weekend, so i guess i'll see how well it keeps healing and bring him to the vet if it doesn't stay on track? first little injury after 2 years is probably good going, i'm probably over reacting! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Orla K wrote: »
    Don't wash it with warm salt water for your own good! The cat will probably just turn to a ball of fluff with lots of sharp bits and they'll be aimed at you!

That was hilarious, and reminded me of the time when my neighbour's cat was sitting on the windscreen of my car.

My neighbour was about to take her off and I thought it would be hilarious if I flicked on the swipers!... Sweet mother of Jesus, your description of the cat is perfect - except my neighbour was really badly scratched & tore up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

That was hilarious, and reminded me of the time when my neighbour's cat was sitting on the windscreen of my car.

My neighbour was about to take her off and I thought it would be hilarious if I flicked on the swipers!... Sweet mother of Jesus, your description of the cat is perfect - except my neighbour was really badly scratched & tore up :(

its 12:30am and you have made my day already :D that is hilarious.

EDIT: the cat part not the neighbour :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It could be a dog bite - but just in case it's ringworm (horribly infectious), maybe take it to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

It could be a dog bite - but just in case it's ringworm (horribly infectious), maybe take it to the vet.

Judging by the discription it's a long cut not so much a roundish one, or that's the impression I'm getting, but I did think of ringworm the first time I read it, maybe post a pic of it(get a camera with a flash don't get too close to it or it'll be too bright, or take the pic next to a good light source so it isn't really fuzzy) I'm sure alot of people here have seen ringworm before and might recognise it.

If it is ringworm don't touch it or pet the cat much people can get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hair loss in the area may be due to the cat licking it - they have a very abrasive tongue (must be a joke there somewhere :)), designed to remove fur from prey before eating it.

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about a cut of that size - 1cm - as long as it is clean. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become infected & cause an abscess. If the cat will let you bathe it then warm salt water or warm water with a bit of Dettol in it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

but just in case it's ringworm (horribly infectious), maybe take it to the vet.
    It doesnt sound like ringworm at all. Ringworm is is quite distinctive (red circular lesions with hair loss on the outside of the ring).
    LisaO wrote: »
    a bit of Dettol in it would be fine.
    Just make sure its diluted and not neat Dettol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement