Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokturnal Mortum

Options
  • 28-07-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Is anyone into this black metal band? I heard their latest album much earlier this year 'The Voice of Steel' and to be honest it just blows away any other black metal bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Old Man's Child, Behemoth and many many others. Out of the eight songs, not one of them is a duffer or filler, and even the acoustic song 'Sky of Saddened Nights' is amazing and unforgettable. One thing this band has that the above bands lack in their latter material is passion, intensity, and inspiration, and the ability to craft stunning arrangments, riffs solos etc.

The previous album Nechrist was terrible though, and not half as class as the album before that 'To The Gates of Blasphemous Fire' which also blew away most of the above bands as well. It also seems that they abandoned the corpse paint, bullet belts and so on, which to is no bad thing as long the music is great. Here are all seven songs not inclunding the intro:

Voice of Steel

Valkyrie

Ukraine

My Dream Islands Part 1

My Dream Islands Part 2

This one song on the album, but it had to divided in half on youtube because you can only upload things that under ten minutes, but no more.

By Path of the Sun

Sky of Saddened Nights

White Tower

I also forgot to mention that Valkyrie, My Dream Islands, Ukraine and White Tower have the best guitar solos I've heard in a very long time. These solos are way better than any of the solos that Iron Maiden have on their newer albums. The cover artwork is class as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

You should at least mention that they are NSBM.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Morf wrote: »
    You should at least mention that they are NSBM.

I'm well aware of that, but for me it's the music that counts first and foremost.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is this what you mean by NSBM?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Voice of Steel is my favourite release of the year. It's Nokturnal Mortum's best album to date in my opinion.
    Have you heard their previous album Weltanschauung? If not check out the song Taste of Victory.

I don't care. A lot of people do care that you are using an internet forum to proliferate music that encourages racism and hatred.

• Advertisement

I was being cautious in that perhaps you didn't realise what philosophical views the band have. I do think you are being very naive in posting a band that have overt NS views and just ignoring the fact that these exist. You can't discuss this band without touching on their abhorrent views. They just go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

just thought id post in on this one. im currently filling in for a metal band and played after these guys at a festival recently. they were the nicest guys you could meet and played a killer show but it was only afterwards when they had given me a CD that i realised it was NSBM. sort of odd when that happens. you enjoy a band and then find out about their right wing views and things suddenly change. whatever about the music, you still cant promote something like this.
    i was also told they can only play in a handful of countries in europe. theyd be killed in germany. also, they are said to attract bad crowds(skinheads etc) but i must admit i didnt see this at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

moonboy wrote: »
    . sort of odd when that happens. you enjoy a band and then find out about their right wing views and things suddenly change. whatever about the music, you still cant promote something like this.

fair enough you may have a point about promoting them.
    however that said can anyone here say ever artist, whose public work they enjoy, are exemplary characters with socially acceptable views? maybe you can, but the fact is down through the ages famous people have had questionable views, you don't even have to look too far from home for that, still people have championed their work. it does not equate to endorsing such views.

so just to be clear, given my previous post may lead some people reading to a mistaken conclusion, i'm not a supporter of racist ideology, nor have i ever, epoused racist ideology.

i think it's better controversial views are aired and challenged as the nonsense they are, rather than being censored, as you you risk making a martyr out of someone with unpalatable views by censoring them.

i agree with you totally. i just think its a little different to say, michael jackson, whom some people view as a paedophile, or even say, motley crue singing about drugs and being unfaithful. it would be sort of like someone posting saying they really liked the swastika symbol for aesthetic reasons but would be totally sensitive to what that symbol means and represents. but yeah i do totally support free speech but certain things need to be treated with certain sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

The Voice of Steel is my favourite release of the year. It's Nokturnal Mortum's best album to date in my opinion.
    Have you heard their previous album Weltanschauung? If not check out the song Taste of Victory.

I agree with you, it is the best album of 2009 without a doubt. For me it just crushes other album releases from bands like Mastodon, Heaven And Hell, Opeth, Cradle of Filth and lots of other albums. I have Weltanschauung, and it's actually very good but not as impressive as 'The Voice of Steel'. I also loved 'To The Gates of Blasphemous Fire', that was a really excellent album as well. I found 'Nechrist' to be very very dissapointing though, and quite bland and forgettable.

• Advertisement

and also, i do think this raises an interesting head-scratcher in the sense that i personally like the album but im not quite sure i should have it in my collection. you can enjoy the music and not follow or support the ideology. its a tough one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

You missed one of their greatest songs.

Advertisement