Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repainting wodden gate.

• 28-07-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there, couple of queries about repainting a timber gate 1.5m x 2.5m
    The gate itself is in decent shape with some areas of deterioration at the bottom and a few areas of flaking paint and some general wear and tear. But in need of a repaint.

1. Do I need to completely sand of all previous paint or will just smoothing down the areas that are flaking away suffice?
    2. For sanding would course sand paper be suitable or should I rent a belt sander?
    3. Is just one layer of the special undercoat paint ok?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dozer11 wrote: »
    Hi there, couple of queries about repainting a timber gate 1.5m x 2.5m
    The gate itself is in decent shape with some areas of deterioration at the bottom and a few areas of flaking paint and some general wear and tear. But in need of a repaint.

1. Do I need to completely sand of all previous paint or will just smoothing down the areas that are flaking away suffice?
    2. For sanding would course sand paper be suitable or should I rent a belt sander?
    3. Is just one layer of the special undercoat paint ok?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Scrape off the flaking paint, quick rub of a sander and paint away. Simple as, really, so long as there's no mould or rot in it.

Advertisement