Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out if a wall is a boundary wall or retention wall?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey folks probably stupid question for those in the know here but where would I go to find out if our garden wall is a boundary wall or retention wall? It has started to collapse and I am wondering did frost damage it during last winter (only noticed it now as pointed out by our neighbour as crack occuring facing their side). Someone was saying that it is possible insurance would cover one (i.e. either a boundary or retention wall) but that this depends on which one it is as well as your level of cover. I will be in touch with our insurance company but wanted to find out what type of wall it is first and whether anyone has had similar experience.

Any thoughts or tips on either matter appreciated! Feel free to move mods if wrong section. Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Hi Tommy,

You can assume its a retaining wall if its actually 'retaining' something, i.e if its at the bottom of a steep incline. The wall would have to extend a good bit below the surface to sufficiently hold back the soil.

If its just on a level area of land then its most likely to be a normal boundary wall.

The retaining wall would be more costly to repair/replace so maybe this is the one thats not covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ciara22 wrote: »
    Hi Tommy,

You can assume its a retaining wall if its actually 'retaining' something, i.e if its at the bottom of a steep incline. The wall would have to extend a good bit below the surface to sufficiently hold back the soil.

If its just on a level area of land then its most likely to be a normal boundary wall.

The retaining wall would be more costly to repair/replace so maybe this is the one thats not covered.

Yeah its at the end of the garden which is on a fairly steep incline, and the neighbours property then is right beyond it on level ground. I guess the thing to do is to ring them and see if it is covered (probably not though huh) :( Got a quote already from a family friend/builder, has to be rebuilt in part to the cost of 1900€! And that is a friend price too. Will try insurance anyway first I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is the level of the ground the same on each side? if so its a boundary wall.
    A retention wall would have higher ground on one side and lower on the other.

Senna wrote: »
    Is the level of the ground the same on each side? if so its a boundary wall.
    A retention wall would have higher ground on one side and lower on the other.

Ground is higher on our side and a drop down on other side, though they've recently built up a bit via a ledge. We are still essentially looking down a bit on their side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just on the terminology, the phrase is "retaining wall".

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Just on the terminology, the phrase is "retaining wall".

DOH! Thanks Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not to worry, I once knew of two solicitors and an engineer who decided that a retaining wall needed to be built becuase of leaking sewage. What was needed was an ordinary boundary wall and a proper septic tank.

Advertisement