Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Lunches

Options
  • 28-07-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a few suggestions for something healthy to have for lunch. Wanna cut down my bread intake and thats all I really eat for lunch. Maybe something I could make in advance and heat up. Can you heat up boiled rice or would it be rotten?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I've done the same - cut out bread at lunches - just a good way of keeping my carb intake down, so instead I have salad and soups for lunch.

Just as an example, today I'm having a mexican tomato soup - which I make a big batch of and bring in to work to heat up. Then along with this I'll be having a salad of romaine lettuce, spring onions, cucumber, tuna and a little bit of honey and mustard dressing. I ususally assemble the salad at home and just leave a bottle of dressing in work to add to it every day so it doesn't get soggy.

Hopefully doing something like this might be helpful for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rice heats up fine, maybe add a drop of water if it is dry. Nobody thinks of it but you can stick things in a thermos flask, the "saucier" the better, they even have thermos bowls now, with screw on lids.

Check out this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794672

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I like to marinade chicken breasts at the weekend, then bake them in the oven, then slice them up thinly and use for protein in salads for work lunches.

The marinade adds flavour instead of dressing, though sometimes I bring in a little tub of dressing as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Stheno wrote: »
    I like to marinade chicken breasts at the weekend, then bake them in the oven, then slice them up thinly and use for protein in salads for work lunches.

The marinade adds flavour instead of dressing, though sometimes I bring in a little tub of dressing as well :)

thanks for the help lads, do you cook them all at the weekend? Would they not be gone of by friday or will it be okay once it is cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    Rice heats up fine, maybe add a drop of water if it is dry. Nobody thinks of it but you can stick things in a thermos flask, the "saucier" the better, they even have thermos bowls now, with screw on lids.
    Be careful with these ones though, most of the themos bowls are for cold foods only. The ones that can take hot foods too are the metal ones, I have ones its great. Always preheat with water too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

m.j.w wrote: »
    Just looking for a few suggestions for something healthy to have for lunch. Wanna cut down my bread intake and thats all I really eat for lunch. Maybe something I could make in advance and heat up. Can you heat up boiled rice or would it be rotten?

Why would you want to cut down your bread intake? Brown wholemeal bread is one of the healthiest staple foods around - although salt content might be a concern?

Advertisement