Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up mysql

Options
  • 28-07-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Whats the best for a client to backup his data.
    I'm not looking to backup entries[csv etc] but the whole db
    This includes structure and entries, so if something was to happen, we could just dump it back on.

Since the client will be an end user, is there anyway to do this without going on to phpMyAdmin ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

phpMyAdmin has an export feature, where you can choose to export the full SQL script required to recreate the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Since the client will be an end user, is there anyway to do this without going on to phpMyAdmin ?

i cant use phpMyAdmin
    i want the client to be able to back it up

Placebo wrote: »
    i cant use phpMyAdmin

Sorry - missed that in your original post.

Try this

Disclaimer : Haven't tried the above and can't vouch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

I use MySQL Administrator to run automated backups of my db's from my laptop.

The installation file is free to be downloaded from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/administrator/en/

It's in the process of being depreciated but it's pretty easy to use and does everything i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Or if you are a hardcore command line user, try mysqldump. But read the documentation first.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Hi - sort of a follow on from OP's post but I was wondering if it's possible to get phpMyAdmin to automatically backup the database?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

guys all those solutions involve the client installing, doing something,
    and we all know clients cant do anything

i was more thinking of a link that opened up a download or dumped it on a server. Would it be possible to use Curl here? hmmmm

Placebo wrote: »
    guys all those solutions involve the client installing, doing something,

I would have thought that it involved an expert installing it and the client maybe being given a button to press ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The database has to be dumped into some sort of form.

Is it possible for you to set up the back-up for the client?
    Does the deployment machine/ web server allow you to run cron entries, (assuming that it's linux/bsd based)?

These are tasks which can be scheduled to run at a particular time each day, and even the very cheap hosting sites frequently allow them.

So you could tell the Cron daemon to run a shell script
    mysqldump --single-transaction --comments --dump-date --host=hostname --user=user --password=pass --databases db_name > backup.sql

followed by an scp or similar command to push-copy the newly created backup.sql to another server.

Advertisement