Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Tattoo

Options
  • 28-07-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

First time poster here so bear with me a little. Ive been thinking for about, I dunno a year now, about getting a tattoo. I was so keen on it to begin with but then doubths started to pop up but this summer I am determined to get one.

I love the idea of tribal and stuff like that and have already got a design picked and all. Thinking about the one of the left there all along the side of my torso, from underneath my arm till my hip.

picture.php?albumid=1300&pictureid=6881

Now as its so big (yeah i am not too keen on small ones either) I know its either going to be painfull or expensive (maybe even a bit of both). I really dont wanna get a cheap job done but I dont really wanna get ripped off niether. So does anybody have any recommendations.tips for me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's going to hurt like a b*tch.

Anyone I know with a rib tattoo has always hated sitting for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'd get a tattoo somewhere else first so you can see what it feels like, rib tattoos are meant to be the most painful.
    If it's your first you might find yourself leaving it a half hour into it and not returning to get it finished..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I would have to disagree with the post saying don't get it as your first tattoo. If this is what you really want and are prepared for it then this is the tattoo you should get. I have my ribs tattooed (approx. 2 and half hour session) and found it to be bearable, def not the worst place to get tattooed.

As it is your first tattoo you will have nothing to compare the pain against so you should be ok. Just make sure you have had good lunch or dinner before hand and have a drink and sugar-y sweets with you. Also dont be afraid to ask the tattooist to stop for a second if you need a break, no shame in it at all.

If that design is on an A4 page it might need to be stretched to fit your torso so will also have to widened so might mean more than one sitting for the tattoo. Best way to pick an artist would be to look through their portfolios at the top of this page and pick someone with clean solid lines and solid black work. Pick the best available and not just the closest to you!!

Best of luck with the tattoo and don't forget to post a picture when its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Was thinking about this artist here. Just had a look at his folder and it seems pretty sweet :D

John Deegan @Inkwell
    http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/site/fo...bum/index.html

Anybody ever got any of their tattoos done by himself ?

Was into inkwell today with a friend (hes getting one as well). They seem to deffinatley know what there talking about...Thats for sure. Gonna go down and talk to them anyways about getting a price on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Damowalsh

I'm also thinking of getting a few more tattoos, I tend to think about it for years before I get one but so many people get one for the sake of it. I'm sorry but a clawed dragon, why?
    Surely it should mean something to you or be something of extreme beauty? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you have a reason other then aesthetics as to why you want this design but don't rush in is all i'd say. I meet so many people who regret getting tatts like this but if you are sure, go for it and good luck. Ribs are a bitch though, good advice to maybe get a small one elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Damowalsh wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of getting a few more tattoos, I tend to think about it for years before I get one but so many people get one for the sake of it. I'm sorry but a clawed dragon, why?
    Surely it should mean something to you or be something of extreme beauty? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you have a reason other then aesthetics as to why you want this design but don't rush in is all i'd say. I meet so many people who regret getting tatts like this but if you are sure, go for it and good luck. Ribs are a bitch though, good advice to maybe get a small one elsewhere.

Can't speak for the OP, but the time of my life when I get a tattoo done means a lot more to me than the actual image depicted on the tattoo.

And OP, just go for it, a rib tattoo is not going to hurt any less because you get one somewhere else first =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Damowalsh

Fair point, defo marks a time. Just be sure is my point, then go for it and enjoy the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

~Not saying it'll hurt less, just might make you think twice before going through with it and leaving halfway.

up to you though, wouldn't do it in a million years myself for a first tattoo(not knowing what it feels like now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Hmm well the dragon means something. Im not really a big fan of anything else and to me it just kinda of represents the spirit thats present within everybody. That kinda of spirit of determination, courage...etc

so it does mean something but point taken :P My one quarrel with getting a tattoo last summer was that I didnt want to get it for no reason (so ive thought about this one )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Have to agree with the above post, i did'nt get my first tattoo until i was 25, (29 now), it actaully took me that period of time between 18-25 to pluck up the courage to get it done! After your first you may kiss your original skin colour goodbye :D its the most addictive drug ever. I now have 7 done in the last 4 years. Not all of them particularly mean something to me i just enjoy the designs/colours and shapes. Just make sure its what you want as your first. As for the pain its tolerant so long as you are comfortable with position etc. Last one i had done was my right elbow (that was sore) but not unbearable and well worth it ! Enjoy

• Advertisement
Advertisement