Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most sophisticated club/bar in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

the only part of sophisticated relevant to this town is the 'fist' syllable. anyhow, what makes you expect that sophisticated people (!?) flock to only one or two 'hidden gems'? perhaps join a golf club or the rotary club or some other social ghetto... your assumption that interesting stimulating oh-so cosmopolitan people can only be discovered and coveted in these hidden gems is frankly naive.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommolloy

If you don't like Halo, I don't know what you're looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

softmee wrote: »
    Not at all. I was there to and wanted run away! :rolleyes:

Not "sophisticated" enough for your tastes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

biko wrote: »
    For sophisticated bars, try New York or London.

-and what stops Galway from having one? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

All us boggers/culchies. :D:D

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    the only part of sophisticated relevant to this town is the 'fist' syllable. anyhow, what makes you expect that sophisticated people (!?) flock to only one or two 'hidden gems'? perhaps join a golf club or the rotary club or some other social ghetto... your assumption that interesting stimulating oh-so cosmopolitan people can only be discovered and coveted in these hidden gems is frankly naive.

-specially golf club.. :rolleyes: yeah, maybe i am naive and i expect too much... thanks anyway for every kind response, i guess its not easy to find place where you can just feel good and spend your time on something else then beeing squeezed beetwen sweaty drunks while waiting for an hour for one drink. :(

The bars in the swankier hotels are generally a bit fancier than the standard in this town. (the G, the Meyrick upstairs)
    The clientèle would most likely be octogenarian tourists and business travelers though.

Maybe some of the older peoples pubs out in Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭LowOdour

-specially golf club.. :rolleyes: yeah, maybe i am naive and i expect too much... thanks anyway for every kind response, i guess its not easy to find place where you can just feel good and spend your time on something else then beeing squeezed beetwen sweaty drunks while waiting for an hour for one drink. :(

A good pub will usually have lots of people, who in turn will like to drink. So, you are going to get drunk people in a pub, and if its busy then there could be alot of sweat. Stay away from the popular spots and that will solve that problem.

Another suggestion to you would be to stay at home with a few tins or a bottle of wine....or just drink during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

-and what stops Galway from having one? :rolleyes:

Don't you roll your eyes at me girl :P
    Anyway, Galway just doesn't have that vibe. It's more laidback, which I personally like.
    There are some posher places mentioned above, try them and see for yourself.

biko wrote: »
    Don't you roll your eyes at me girl :P
    Anyway, Galway just doesn't have that vibe. It's more laidback, which I personally like.
    There are some posher places mentioned above, try them and see for yourself.

-snobbish (is that a word :p?) hotels are not what i am looking for..( sigh )

• Advertisement

Define what you consider a sophisticated person to be then.

We have covered pretty much the full range of bars in this thread.

Edit: maybe give us a few examples of the type of place you are looking for that you know of from Dublin or London or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Have you been to the Cottage bar in Salthill??

From your posts above it sounds like a place you might like:)

Don't worry, give it a few months and we'll see you in Blue Note and Roisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Loads of places have been recommended so far. Tell us a bit about yourself, and maybe we dcan be more specific. What type of music do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I was going to suggest Halo. Interesting to know why that didn't equate to sophisticated enough. Karma? Ok both are clubs I suppose. What types of music do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Why not go to O'Connels on eyre square? Or the pucan?

Seriously, what the do you want here? I think every pub in galway has been named at least once in this thread and your still not happy!!!

O'Connels is laid back, quiet-ish (unless theres a match on or its saturday) and has a HUGE smoking area, so you wont be around too much sweat out there. And its full of old men slurping over a pint for the night :-) (That's a joke as i hang out there)

Why not go to O'Connels on eyre square? Or the pucan?

Seriously, what the do you want here? I think every pub in galway has been named at least once in this thread and your still not happy!!!

-what do i want? for sure not loud tv on the wall screening sport games... and not to hear Britney Spears or any other Beyonce.. killing my ears. :cool:

-what do i want? for sure not loud tv on the wall screening sport games... and not to hear Britney Spears or any other Beyonce.. killing my ears. :cool:

Its a pity you couldnt drink in the library <insert appropriate smiley here>

LowOdour wrote: »

-yeah, i am sorry you dont know anything better and between, poor you.. :rolleyes:

-by the way, i like "library corner" in the Quays.. ;)

• Advertisement

-yeah, i am sorry you dont know anything better and between, poor you..
    eh?
    -by the way, i like "library corner" in the Quays.. ;)
    Problem solved!

eh?

Problem solved!

-I meant its a pitty there is nothing for you between "library" and common pub..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What I would suggest is going to a pub during the day for a few drinks. The Skeff at 2:30 on Saturday was nice and relaxed, the only thing on was the Kildare v Monaghan match which didn't get any crowd watching it at all. So it was quiet, they didn't even bother putting on the sound for it.

Then went to O'Connells. Same thing, pretty quiet was out in the Beer garden then which had a big group of guys but wasn't too loud.

Kings Head was not as quiet but not what I'd call busy.

Kellys was busy, then everywhere after that was packed out too.

A couple of weeks ago I was in 903 around 9pm and it was dead quiet. A DJ was setting up and I got out before he started. But it was nice for a change

Not trying to be funny OP, but is English your first language? Just curious.

That's what you don't want, what DO you want?

-I meant its a pitty there is nothing for you between "library" and common pub..

well im quite happy with the 'common pub', so dont have any pity for me.

For you, the problem is that most of galway city's drinking spots (or 'common pubs' as you put it) are similar. You have gotten plenty of suggestions, but im not sure you know yourself what you want...or else its not coming across very clear.

BK wine bar perhaps?

Actually Halo would probably fit the bill best as a club.
    Maybe start in Townhouse Bar first.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Burren Mount.

"A pub is a machine for drinking in."

Robbo wrote: »
    Burren Mount.

"A pub is a machine for drinking in."

I need a machine not only for drinking, but also for filling up my senses and mind with good music and good conversation....:p

• Advertisement

I need a machine not only for drinking, but also for filling up my senses and mind with good music and good conversation....:p

What is good music, for you? And what are you interested in? Then we can recommend places more easily.

Is English your first language?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement