Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies road bike

• 28-07-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi all,

My missus is thinkin of trying out a bit of road cycling to get fitter.

Can anyone suggest an average ladies road bike for about €300?

She doesn't want to invest too much on a starter bike.

If she gets the bug, she will upgrade then.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

For 300e you're more likely to pick up a flat bar hybrid or something second hand than a new road (racer) bike of any real quality. Also, while ladies bikes are supposed to be more suited to lady shapes (narrower handlebars, different saddles, slightly different geometry) my girlfriend and many other female cyclists fit smaller men's bikes just fine, which is handy since there's more of a selection and often better value with men's bikes, so don't think you're stuck with just the girly bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

As above, don't rule out a mens racer if you can get one small enough.
    Herself has a mens racer with a shorter stem to bring the bars a bit closer, and a ladies saddle - sorted.

She also has a specific ladies MTB, which was worth getting - fork spring and brake levers were different, bar width was narrower, as well as being shorter reach and a different saddle. There isn't as much difference in a proper womens road bike versus the mens version - usually the frame is maybe an inch shorter from saddle to bars, and a different saddle. And "nice" colours...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I hear you on the "nice" colours. The road bike I'm getting is the world's most hideous shade of turquoise.
    Back to the OP, I had been looking for a starter road bike myself and there's not much out there at less than 600 unless you want a hybrid. Even then, you're looking at the very basic ones.
    She could look into the bike to work scheme if she has an employer who's part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

You are going through a stage that all roadies experience! Fear not.
    You're starting to feel guilty about spending so much of your free time on a bike and you've convinced the mrs that she would love cycling too, especially after she has learned all the cyclists names during the tour de France. Now the problem of buying a bike arises, you don't want to shell too much cash in case it ends up in the shed like the wetsuit, hiking boots, Swiss ball and lady weights you've accumulated over the past number of years.... Sounds familiar??
    The beauty of cycling is that we are nothing if not consistent. Therefore your best bet for a good bike would be to ask around your club or other roadies. Unfortunately we nearly all have a dusty one in the shed!! Ask around and you will pick one up very handy. Over the past three years I've picked up three different bikes for the mrs and sold on two. First was a store bought steel frame hack, the most expensive. Second a giant defy and third an alu rocket with carbon forks. Grand total €600, or less than the price of a race wheel in boardsie terms.
    With the bike to work scheme there are more good bikes around than ever so good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

^ this is good advice on your budget OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 READYBREK

Cheers forthe input.

Ill drag her around a few bikes shops this long weekend. Nothing more romantic than a spin out to Tallaght bike hunting!

Advertisement