Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on upgrade please

Options
  • 28-07-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi

At the moment my system is starting to feel sluggish compared to my brand new laptop

im looking to upgrade a few components just wondering would it make a sizeable difference at the moment the system is as follows

Corsair Powersupply 620W
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz
    windows 7 ultimate
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Black, Brushed
    abit in9 32max wifi motherboard
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2x2gb
    radeon x1650 xt

I'm thinking about buying a

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 S775 3GHz 12MB 1333FSB
    a 128 gb ssd hard drive and another 2 gb of ram

probably going to cost about €700

would you recommend this or just biting the bullet and getting a brand new system ?

also can anyone recommend anywhere to install the components ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

keep the psu and win 7 and buy a new system even i3 you wood see a good improvement or amd x4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi

At the moment my system is starting to feel sluggish compared to my brand new laptop

im looking to upgrade a few components just wondering would it make a sizeable difference at the moment the system is as follows

Corsair Powersupply 620W
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz
    windows 7 ultimate
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Black, Brushed
    abit in9 32max wifi motherboard
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2x2gb
    radeon x1650 xt

I'm thinking about buying a

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 S775 3GHz 12MB 1333FSB
    a 128 gb ssd hard drive and another 2 gb of ram

probably going to cost about €700

would you recommend this or just biting the bullet and getting a brand new system ?

also can anyone recommend anywhere to install the components ?

1) Get a 64gig SSD and use this purely for windows and your day to day applications. (you can get good quality 64 gigers for €200 or so) This will have the biggest impact on your daily use.

2) The quad is nice, will keep your pc ticking over for another while yet BUT it will only be of use to you if you are gaming heavily or doing a lot of media encoding.

3) Your gfx card is utter pants: again only an issue if you game :pac:.

All in all the best upgrade for you is a fresh ssd with a fresh window install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Your CPU is not bad at all, still fine by todays standards

Your graphics is utterly rubbish, by just spending 150 euros you could get four or fives times the framerate

An SSD will actually offer a great feeling of speed in windows, loading etc

Otherwise, if you aren't gaming, or heavy encoding/whatever you won't actually notice the difference between a quadcore and a dualcore

In fact a dualcore with 2gig ram can feel faster than a quadcore with 4gb ram if the windows install is fresher and more streamlined

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

uberpixie wrote: »
    1) Get a 64gig SSD and use this purely for windows and your day to day applications. (you can get good quality 64 gigers for €200 or so) This will have the biggest impact on your daily use.

2) The quad is nice, will keep your pc ticking over for another while yet BUT it will only be of use to you if you are gaming heavily or doing a lot of media encoding.

3) Your gfx card is utter pants: again only an issue if you game :pac:.

All in all the best upgrade for you is a fresh ssd with a fresh window install.

^^^^^ This is definately what what you should do first, a fresh install of windows on an SSD drive and you won't know your PC.

Something like the 60 Gb OCZ vertex would be good, there is a 60GB Kingston and Corsair models that are cheaper again but seem to be of a signifigantly lower calibre from what I have read. If you are looking for a more wallet friendly option then the 40Gb Intel is a better bet that the Kingston or Corsair 60GBs IMO. Still would have plenty of room for the OS and a few of your most frequently used programs.

Advertisement