Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old News papers

Options
  • 28-07-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Are old newspapers collectable or worth any money .Would one with major headlines or big events be worth more I have a copy of the Irish independent from sept 11 (twin towers,could it be my retirement money)I was viewing in meallys auction rooms 2day and saw quite a few with a nice reserve.

sorry maybe this should be in the collectables section if so mods can move.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Are old newspapers collectable or worth any money .Would one with major headlines or big events be worth more I have a copy of the Irish independent from sept 11 (twin towers,could it be my retirement money)I was viewing in meallys auction rooms 2day and saw quite a few with a nice reserve.

You'd be lucky to get 5 euros for a copy of the indo from 9/11. Some of the truly iconic headlines might be worth a few bob though. Say for example you had a copy of the Irish Times in 1939 with Neville Chamberlain declaring war against Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Anything Easter Rising, War of Independence or Civil War related are of course also potentially valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

I have a copy of Daily express nov 23 1963 with headline of Kennedy assainated by a snipers bullet and a copy of Irish press jan 31st 1940 with headline of second phase of war to begin .I dont expext there worth much but nice collectors item all the same I have both framed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well I would imagine rareity would have alot to do with what theyr worth too.
    so I doubt your sittin on a goldmine;)
    Your great grand kids mite get something out of it,:P

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I remember when I was a kid we came across some local newspapers from September 1939 which were obviously after being kept for posterity. Needless to say we cut them to bits. My mates parents must have been raging but I never heard anything about it again surprisingly enough.

• Advertisement

I remember when I was a kid we came across some local newspapers from September 1939 which were obviously after being kept for posterity. Needless to say we cut them to bits. My mates parents must have been raging but I never heard anything about it again surprisingly enough.

I heard a story of a guy clearing out his granny's attic and found stacks of newpapers all from 1916, War of Independence and Civil war. So he brought them downstairs showed them to his granny and then had to go out for a while. When he came back needless to say they had all been burned in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

For historians and researchers even the mundane newspapers can be invaluable; but they're probably not worth much financially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

convert wrote: »
    For historians and researchers even the mundane newspapers can be invaluable; but they're probably not worth much financially.

The problem there is that pretty much every newspaper ever published in Ireland has a copy in the National Library.

And most documents published in ireland before 1801 are available online on a massive database project.

The documents themselves rarely if ever have historical value (There are plenty of other sources available) but they do have sentimental value. Hence why the Proclomation of the Republic is worth so much if you have one.

I fully agree about the value from a research perspective, even if just to put you in the 'frame of the time' without researching any given single event.

I have also noticed that some people have inexplicably faded from prominence in history whereas at the time they were very prominent - so this in itself can be interesting.

Re the financial values I would recommend reading each of these samples if you have the time:

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=7025&status=A

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=7022&status=A

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=7019&status=A

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=7018&status=A

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=7027&status=A

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

I also have a copy of Newspaper called The Irish Statesman Slightly bigger than A4 size and is dated Saturday October 8th 1927 would anybody anything about this.:eek:,thanks for help guys,

• Advertisement
Advertisement