Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Payment

Options
  • 28-07-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

A few months ago I sent a cash payment to Belfast via registered post. I received an email from the secretary of the organisation to which I had sent it which informed me that the payment was yet to be received. I went on to the An Post website, entered my tracking number, and discovered that the envelope had been signed for by the person to whom I had posted it. She claims that the signature is not hers (to be fair, it doesn't really seem to be).

She has stated that there is no way it could have been received at the building where she works without her knowledge. I contacted An Post once again; they carried out an investigation with the help of Royal Mail which concluded that the envelope had been successfully delivered.

Without wishing to reveal too many details, the problem is that the money was intended for an Historical Society which I have been a member of for a number of years. I am disgusted to think my money has found its way into private hands rather than contributing towards the Society in question.

I don't know whether I'm up against a rogue employee of the Society or a wayward postman, but I would appreciate any advice as to my legal position with this matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's nothing you can do. Cash sent in the post is never insured, even when registered.

Learn the lesson, take the hit on the cash, and don't do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is insured, up to a limit of €320 to the UK. This is from the An Post website.

Sending money?

We recommend that you avoid sending money by post. An Post offers a range of services to transfer money.
    If you have to send money by post, you should use a Registered Post envelope available at local Post Office for a fee of €6.00 which covers postage upto 100g within Ireland.

Compensation would be paid if it was lost but the question here is a disputed signature. An Post are depending on the Royal Mail to investigate and they have to accept what they are told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Thanks for the replies. I regularly use that method of payment, having always been assured of the security of registered delivery.

If you have to send money by post, you should use a Registered Post envelope available at local Post Office for a fee of €6.00 which covers postage upto 100g within Ireland.

Ah yes, that's a special envelope that you need to buy when posting cash. If you send it by registered post in a normal envelope, it won't be insured.

Yes, I sent it in a Registered Post envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

all good advice available in every forum is telling us not to send cash through the post but send a draft or even a crossed cheque, i cant see this being insured but if it is then you must sdeal with an post as they are who you contracted to deliver the cash. royal mail may have a signiture and you will have to get signitures from the intended recipient to prove they did not sign for it.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Business+Customers/Sending+Mail/Security/Registered+Post.htm
    it seems your post may not have been covered as sending money is only covered in a special envelope that costs an extra €6 and can only be sent within ireland!

Leopardi wrote: »
    Yes, I sent it in a Registered Post envelope.

It seems someone is lying to you somewhere. The investigation concluded the envelope was delivered successfully, but the recipient claims it wasn't by them. Comreg is the regulator for An Post, so that should probably be your next call. Get a signed statement from the recipient declaring that they never received or signed for it.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Business+Customers/Sending+Mail/Security/Registered+Post.htmit seems your post may not have been covered as sending money is only covered in a special envelope that costs an extra €6 and can only be sent within ireland!

No, the cost of the envelope covers the postal costs within Ireland. If posting outside Ireland, they just add an extra fee on to it.

jor el wrote: »
    It seems someone is lying to you somewhere. The investigation concluded the envelope was delivered successfully, but the recipient claims it wasn't by them. Comreg is the regulator for An Post, so that should probably be your next call. Get a signed statement from the recipient declaring that they never received or signed for it.

No, the cost of the envelope covers the postal costs within Ireland. If posting outside Ireland, they just add an extra fee on to it.

Thanks for your reply. Royal Mail sent me a scanned copy of the signature. It certainly doesn't match that of the intended recipient, but if she wanted to keep the money she would hardly sign in her usual style.

I am trying to keep an open mind on this issue, but I have my suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i have often signed for items at the door with just my initials or even just a scribble if im in a hurry and the post man calls at a bad time

this has never been refused or questioned yet

even in my company ,by standing at the door i can sign for registered post for everyone who works there as well as stuff being sent to the company name with just an illegible scribble

the system is wide open to be abused and the only way they could stop it would be for asking for photographic id on signing

the same people complaining about lost mail would be the first to complain about "the hassle" of this too so we cant really win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Leopardi wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Royal Mail sent me a scanned copy of the signature. It certainly doesn't match that of the intended recipient, but if she wanted to keep the money she would hardly sign in her usual style.
    Mail the copy to them, telling it to keep it for their records, in case it happens again. If it does nothing else, it'll ensure that
    a) if it is someone there that did it, will know that you're taking it seriously
    or
    b) they may know the handwriting.

Finally, send it by postal order, payable to the society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement