Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB misselling/lies

• 28-07-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Couple of weeks ago was in the pavillions swords and stopped to chat to the eircom NGB sales guys as was leaving the shopping centre. Wasnt so interested until the guy told me i was eligible for a 'trial' line where i would get 10 months free line rental and would only have to sign up for 12 months contract. They phoned head office and got my number checked to make sure it was eligible. So it sounded to good to be true.. my wife laughed when i told her i was switching back to broadband she said it would end in a mess!

anyway the next day (sunday) i had an eircom salesman call to my house.. i told him i was only signing up due to the 10 months free line rental, he agreed it was great value, and that i'd only have two months full line rental until i had to switch again. He promised me that if anything went wrong he'd switch me back to my current provider and i wouldnt have to worry about a thing and that i wouldnt be out of pocket at all.

So a couple of weeks later, i get a bill from eircom for 2 full months rental.. and no mention of the ngb package i signed up for.. so i phoned my friendly salesman who had given me his number and he said 'not to worry' he'd sort it all out and get back to me..

So today he phoned me at work and says.. .hmm sorry but there's no 10 months free line rental offer.... i was fuming but surrounded by work colleagues so couldnt get into a 'heated' debate with him.. i simply asked to be switched back to my current provider.. when i left down the phone i was fuming so i lodged a complaint on the consumer connect web site, outlining the details. In fairness to them, a girl called me about an hour later, saying it was a disgrace and that she was passing my details on for further investigation. I also emailed comreg outlining the story.

When i got home i was still fuming so phoned my sales guy again.. i let rip telling him how he had lied to me completely when selling me the package.. he said he didnt 'lie' but assumed as i'd be offered the line rental from the stand in the pavillions it would just follow through.. i was quite irrate.. and told him to get back onto eircom in the morning to sort it out and get back to me asap..

then he has the cheek to tell me i would need to contact my current provider to switch back! i flipped again.. another bare faced lie from his sales visit.. where he told me in no uncertain terms that if anything went wrong he would get me switched back, with no hassle on my part.. and no expense...

The joke of it all then is the eircom modem arrives today in the post.. so for the hell of it i do a speedtest with my current broadband.. 2.6mb download speed...

with eircoms ngb non congested broadband? 2.6mb download speed.. wow.. so much for 8gb non congested.. i'm still raging.. more so with myself for being a fool by being duped into switching by a lieing salesman.. maybe he'll get his act together and sort this tomorrow.. but i doubt it to be honest..

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's "up to" 8Mbps. Average is about 3Mbps. Actual speed depends on line length. Their current advertising (as is most ISPs, expecially Mobile which isn't even Broadband) is disgraceful. Comreg said they would sort this years ago.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981258
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not to bothered about line speed its the broken promise if ten months free line rental that's the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The one that pisses me off is the claim that 'usage allowance' has not changed. Lies. They now include uploads as part of the usage when previously it was download allowance. Might not make a difference to 'regular' surfers but I upload quite a bit for web dev work.:mad:

Line speed, while definitely improved, has got nowhere near 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

i used to do the job that that rep does, the targets are set so high that quiet frankly you have to mis-sell to keep your job, its really ****ty but you have to do what you have to do.

what i would say is make sure you are not on direct debit, if you are cancel it with your bank, online, in branch and cancel it with eircom, tell them you will pay your bills in the post office from now on, and dont pay them a penny till you get what you were told you would get

and the lesson to learn is simple, if a sales person says something, take their number, verify it and then call them back if you find what they are saying is right. In this case you should look for people that are living near you that have NGB and see how it works.

And if you had found the info on trialline that is out there it says that you need to have you line disconnected for at least 12 months, if you have a previous provider then this isnt the case, what the rep did was sign you over as a win-back, when trialline is a new connection

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No matter what people are told by sales people I would always advise people to contact the current provider after all the contract is between you and them and the oblgation is with you to ensure that any requirments in relation to notice of cancellation are met. Remember that even when you are outside your minimum contract period most isps require a months notice and utv have a ransom charge before you can leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Eircom did the same to me with the trial line. I had 6 different Eircom agents lie to me and tell me I got the trial line. Now they tell me the previous agents were maybe "messing me about". Suffice to say I've cancelled my contract with Eircom, and now they're sending me threatening letters even though it was they who overbilled me.

Steer clear of Eircom if you can. I'm with Vodafone now.

Well I'm not letting them off the hook that easily. I've lodged official complaints with eircom, comreg and the consumer association. Easiest option is to walk away but I'm up for a fight over this

fight away, but make sure you dont pay them any more than you should, it would look favourable on your part if you paid the montlhy bill minus the line rental, 25 euro something, and dont go direct debit,

if you pay them a bit then they wont cut you off, if you dont pay them they will......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the 10 months free is for phone lines that were disconnected continually since end 2008 or so and are then reconnected ....normally to avail of broadband. The offer is not for lines that are live but with another operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Looks like I'll be avoiding Eircom like the plague then. Never had home broadband before, and am looking into whether UPC is available in my area now.

• Advertisement

Well a result! After lodging complaint with consumer connect, comreg and eircom - they are crediting my account with the value of ten months line rental. So I'm happy with that. Phew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good man. Just to recap ( source below do print it out before you order from eircom.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

1. Anybody who ordered broadband to go on a line that was Inactive on and since 31 Aug 2009...and where that line is reactivated...is entitled to 10 months free line rental on that line or else 10 x €26 a month line rental deducted form a bundle costing €49 a month for example meaning you pay €23 a month x 10 and €49 a month thereafter.

a) This is called the " PSTN Trial Promotion"
    (promotional period: 8th June 2010 to 31st August 2010) ie applies to orders placed between those dates.

b) The line must have been continually inactive ( ceased) from 31 August 2009 to the date of order.

c) Line connection is free as well as rental

d) This is the second time eircom ran this promotion, I would expect it to reappear in future some time.

2. A separate promotion is the Brand New line promotion called eircom Residential PSTN Standard Connection Promotion
    Promotional Period : 29th March 2010 to 28th September 2010(inclusive)

If you order a completely new line between those dates it is free to install, cost ZERO

3. A separate promotion is the Line Reactivation promotion where the line was NOT inactive continually since 31 August 2009. This is called the
    eircom PSTN In-Situ & Pre-Cabled Connection Promotion
    Promotional Period : 29th March 2010 to 28th September 2010(inclusive)

If you order a reconnection line between those dates it is free to install, cost ZERO

So everybody qualifies for free connections right now and if reactivating you get free line rental for 10 months if the line was inactive for a year at end august. Take no **** from eircom billing, crooks.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fZCZS2MIU

God , what a shower of out and out lying scumbags.

Its obvious none of the people in that clip are actual Eircon customers.
    The prescence of a full head of hair on each participant is a clear giveaway, if they were Eircon customers it would have been torn out long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

anbrutog wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fZCZS2MIU

God , what a shower of out and out lying scumbags.

Its obvious none of the people in that clip are actual Eircon customers.
    The prescence of a full head of hair on each participant is a clear giveaway, if they were Eircon customers it would have been torn out long ago.

You just made my day :pac: haha

Well to be fair with enough serious escalation they took my complaint seriously and resolved it in couple of hours. Still no excuse for the lies I was told by sales team. Id say someone will get a roasting over it and rightly. Guess its a good lesson though. Get everything promised in writing before signing up to anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well to be fair with enough serious escalation they took my complaint seriously and resolved it in couple of hours. Still no excuse for the lies I was told by sales team. Id say someone will get a roasting over it and rightly. Guess its a good lesson though. Get everything promised in writing before signing up to anything.

Misselling is so absurd - it is guaranteed to come back and haunt you. Why pay staff to damage your company/brand? :rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    Misselling is so absurd - it is guaranteed to come back and haunt you. Why pay staff to damage your company/brand? :rolleyes:

they set targets so high and are unreasonable when they are not met for valid reasons that for an eircom rep to keep their job the truth is they need to missell,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sirwallis

i had the very first broadband the first month it was released it was 512kb or 1/2 mb line and it was super i had it untill it went to 3mb then i tried NTL they werecrap until they got there fibre broadband and that was good but was missing the ummmppphhhhh eircom had while online gaming, so then i decided to go back to them, they sold me the NGB. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP it was never 8mb maybe 6mb the router keeps getting kicked off the line from the exchange and to get an answer from eircom takes over a half an hour I'm video recording this for you-tube i phoned there sales and and there customer support at the same time lmao the sales answered in a few minutes maybe less than 2, customer support over half an hour tech support even longer I had to hang up my arm was sore holding the phone.
    my line should be as good as it gets i live right next door to the main exchange for dublin city, you can't get any closer to the middle of dublin city on the south side than i am, well when i had normal broadband i was getting full wack 100% of the time, and it never messed up now this NGB its bull crap.
    then their tech support staff cant speak English properly and forget about Irish so what does that tell you and there reading from a computer.
    blah blah Don't Go near them they used to be super really super for everything their only down fall was they were expensive now there just crap pure crap and expensive PS don't go near imagine "WIMAX" (35 gig unlimited usage and irish broadband type of signals and crackly phone lmfao) either their worse your best bet if you can is NTL if your on there fibre lines

Advertisement