Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite podcast?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Question is in the title folks, whats your fave podcast? no matter how embarrassing you think it may be, or no matter how boring you think it may make you look, what is it?

is it sport, music, movie related, current affairs, or what?

i'll go first, right now i am liking Dunphy's sunday morning show on newstalk

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This week in tech. Can't beat a bit of Leo LaPorte.

And PaulDotCom Security, even if I only understand about 10% of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The Complete Guide to Eveything - very funny and last episode had Dave Hill as a guest :)

Also, best of youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Dr Karl's Science phone-in on BBC5Live. It's on about 3AM on a Thursday morning, interesting if you like that sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Guardian Football Weekly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Either Engadget's tech podcast or Murph's Country Pages

This week in tech. Can't beat a bit of Leo LaPorte.

Its the most annoying podcast I have ever listened to! I don't even know where to start, first of all it should just be called 'Week in Apple' because they will talk about the tiniest bit of news from Apple for up to an hour while going off on annoying tangents every now and then. The people they have on the podcast seem to know very little about technology (Unless its Apple). There are ads where the host just tells you about how amazing audible.com is and then the guests will chime in with comments like 'OMG yeah its like so awesome, I havent read this much in years' (Its audiobooks your not even reading!!!). At least every 5 mins someone says something completely retarded. Okay I'll stop now, I needed to get that out of my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

The Hamish and Andy podcast.

It's a 2 hour daily radio show condensed into a half hour (cuts out music, ads, news). To genuinely funny blokes, and the more you listen to it the funnier it gets. I'd really recommend it to anyone. I'd even rank it above the Ricky Gervais ones, which are also great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Giving a shout out to the TwoJacks

very low budget affair from 2 up & comings in LA

consistently brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Anyone know where you can download the Ricky Gervais podcasts in mp3 format? Only Itunes on his official site :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Tommy and Hector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Definitely the Tommy and Hector show. Shame there is no music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

If you're into games then I'd recommend the Giant Bombcast. Up to date with all the news and 'tis hilarious :D

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Corsten's Countdown

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo, talkin about de fillums on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Not really around any more, but the Ricky Gervais show I thought was a great laugh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Dr Karl's Science phone-in on BBC5Live. It's on about 3AM on a Thursday morning, interesting if you like that sort of thing
    Love it along with Dr Karl on Australia's triple J
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/drkarl/default.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

F1 Rejects

Probably the best F1 podcast out there, if you don't take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Anyone know any good podcast review websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

My week is never complete without the Frank Skinner podcast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

For me it's the Joe Rogan Experience, it can be a bit hit and miss recently but there are some gems, he does two or three a week and they can run to 3 hours so I don't get to listen to them all but they're fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Stuff you should know from howstuffworks.com
    Brilliant funny stuff: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/hsw-shows/stuff-you-should-know-podcast.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've loads on mine. But the only ones I listen to frequently are
    This Week In Tech. - he has audible ads (amongst others )in his podcast. My podcast app has a 30 second flick forward option which skips the ads extremely easily.
    Kermode & Mayo Film Reviews
    The Infinite Monkey Cage - Brian Cox & Robert Ince discuss science topics with some humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Can't believe no one has mentionned 'Fighting Talk',

Colin Murray presents a 'have i got news for you' in a sports style, with various contributors its always a very good laugh and you pick up sports knowledge at the same time!

I also like the Guardian football podcast and the Newstalk 'Off the ball'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm a massive wrestling fan so my favourite is a retro podcast by the LAW, called Review-a-Wai. They cherry pick events over the last 25 years and review a show, backstage scandal and generally have an interview with someone involved at the time. Really great stuff. It's so good it inspired me to make my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Hardcore History is my absolute favourite but they're not very frequent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tales of tyeria (sp) every sunday night,its aguild war 2 podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm forever on the lookout for good short podcasts, so that HowStuffWorks one is looking very interesting to me. Scientific American's 60-Second Science is a similar idea, but covering more research-driven topics. I see they've expanded the 60-Second idea to cover more topics now.

I only have so much time to listen to podcasts, so I'm not going to waste it on listening to two blokes talking crap for an hour, as so many podcasts seem to be. It's not Radio, there is no excuse for waffling to fill a time slot. I like podcasts which don't mess around: start it up, get your message across, then stop. :pac:

Some more great short podcasts:
    - News from Lake Woebegon - where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above-average. Garrison Keillor's long-running segment on A Prairie Home Companion, about a fictional Minnesota town.
    - Spot of Bother: life is not peachy.
    - War of the Roses: segment from a New York radio show in which the presenters catch cheaters by offering them free roses. Guaranteed to cure you of any notions of romance in your life. :eek:
    - KCRW Martini Shot: snippets from a working TV writer about all kinds of things related to Hollywood.
    - Skeptoid: debunking various forms of Woo.
    and, naturally, The Bugle. The Times may have pulled their funding, but they're still going strong, despite Andy's obsession with attending more Olympics events than was strictly advisable. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ByronFrump

Ok, here goes. I don't watch TV or listen to the radio, so I listen to a tonne of podcasts. All of these are unbelievably good, so in no particular order, please check out...

All the usual show - e.g.: This American Life, RadioLab etc plus...
    The Tobolowsky Files - true stories from the life of actor Stephen Tobolowsky (so good I learned to spell his name, just to tell people about it).
    The Film Talk - Jett Loe and (Irishman) Gareth Higgens, two hyper articulate cinefiles discuss movies at breakneck speed and passionate intensity.
    Boars, Gore and Swords, a Game Of Thrones Podcast
    The Moth Podcast - true stories told live, always entertaining and features tonnes of famous writers, musicians etc
    Savage Love - Hilarious and contentious weekly sex advice from writer and editor Dan Savage
    The Age Of Persuasion - Canadian show by an advertising executive, explaining just how the industry bend us to their will
    In Our Time - History of science art and intellectual thought from British Lord Melvin Bragg
    Starship Sofa - Hugo Award winning news and stories from the world of science fiction every week (disclaimer - I sometimes read stories for the show)
    Love And Radio - Trippy, freeform storytelling / interview show, with music. Kind of like This American Life
    A Life Well Wasted - Occasional, beautifully edited show about art, games, storytelling etc - each episode features custom written music and art, a real labour of love.

Also - if you'd like to check out some homegrown efforts - I've produced a several Irish comedy podcasts - The Invisible Tourguide, The Emerald Arts, Technolotics, and my new weekly sketch comedy podcast Dead Medium.

If anyone would like info about equipment / technical side of podcasting PM me. I'd be happy to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

i rarely listen to live radio anymore, opting for pod-casts.
    Mondays its a catch up on the weekend sport with

Ian Wright on Absolute Radio, the 606 phone ins, and the non league show,
    then its
    Christian O'Connell breakfast show on Absolute radio, then its anything that takes my fancy, i normally have about 5 days worth at any one time so a big choice, Katie Morgan the ex adult actress has her own pod-cast which is entertaining
    http://havingsex.smodcast.libsynpro.com/rss

here's a few more

frank Skinner
    Ian Collins wants a word
    the Adam carolla show
    the Dave gorman show
    Simon Mayo's confessions
    comedy of the week
    Danny baker show
    daily bacon
    BBC documentaries
    this american life
    etc. etc.

talk sport do a few but they do tend to cut them off mid sentence which is annoying .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 conorc94

The only podcast I listen to is The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. It's enjoyable, but Rebecca Watson and Jay Novella can be annoying at times.

Advertisement