Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite podcast?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Best of The Left podcast. Usually features clips from Rachel Maddow, Cenk Uygur (Young Turks), Sam Seder and Jimmy Dore.

They have a very user-friendly site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Kermode and Mayo - The films reviews are pretty honest and spot on, usually have a guest on as well. Alot of the podcast is specific to the week it airs.

The Kevin Pollak Chat Show - I can't recomend this enough, interviews with (alot of the time) big name celeb's that go on for 2 hours+ sometimes, while never feeling stagnant.
    Personal favourites would be Bryan Cranston and Eddie Izzard, plus the 2 on 1 interview with Billy West and John DiMaggio (Futurama) from a couple of months back.

Ruggamatrix - A must for any Rugby fan, more Southern Hemisphere based, but lots of talk/interviews for HC and 6N times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mostly into games, but there're a few others in here that are real gems. Just gonna list my entire podcast feed, as I'm very picky about what gets left there, and if a podcast makes it in for longer than a month I consider it to be excellent.

COMEDY
    • The Comedy Button - Hilarious comedy show. Talking about virtually anything under the sun, a spin-off of the Gamespy Debriefings, but no longer a game-centric podcast.
    • The Dave Gorman Podcast - The podcast of Dave's weekly radio show on Absolute Radio in the UK. Generally it's one of the standard "We take a quirky topic and you text us in your stories related to that topic for two hours" show, but there's a raft of extras thrown in, so many in fact that they have a special dedicated podcast mid-week that's just extra stuff.
    • The Ray Foley Show - Daily podcast of the radio show, with an often brilliant podcast only segment at the beginning.
    • Stop Podcasting Yourself - Two Canadian comedians, usually joined by another Canadian comedian talk about random stuff.

GAMES
    • Destructoid's Video Game Podcast - AKA Podtoid. Discussing video games, but can also descend into outright madness, with sexual inuendo and crazy stories and skits thrown in.
    • The Gamespy Debriefings - Now cancelled, but well worth a download anyway. The predecessor to The Comedy Button, the IGN and Gamespy staff try to discuss games, but invariably end up way off topic, with hilarious consequences. (Episodes 119-170 are the ones to get) This could probably go in the comedy category as well...
    • The Geekbox - A podcast about games, TV, movies and comics, presented by Ryan Scott from The Comedy Button.
    • Good Game [VIDEO PODCAST] - Australian TV show that discusses and reviews games, often with a tongue in cheek attitude, but still informative and fun to watch.
    • IGN AU: Pubcast - Games podcast from IGN's Australian team. Imagine 5 Australians getting drunk and shouting about stuff into a microphone and you're halfway to the pubcast. :P
    • IGN UK Podcast - IGN's UK team talk about games and movies with a focus on the UK side of things
    • IGN's GameScoop - A weekly round-up of the big gaming stories.
    • IGN's Podcast Beyond - Weekly podcast relating to the latest Playstation news, generally light-hearted and often laugh out loud funny.
    • IGN's Podcast Unlocked - Weekly podcast relating to Xbox news. More serious than Beyond!, but still entertaining. Each week there's an interview with someone in the industry that is invariably fascinating.
    • Rebel FM - Games related podcast with one of the guys from The Comedy Button.
    • Sup, Holmes? - From Destructoid, a podcast where Johnathan Holmes talks to a person from the gaming industry about their work.

MISC.
    • Football Weekly - Round up of the week's Premier League, Champions League, Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga action. Well worth a listen, as they tackle things in a light-hearted enjoyable manner.
    • Good Job, Brain! - A trivia podcast, taking a topic and doing quizzes on that topic.
    • IGN's Knockin' Boots - 20 episodes so far, and even though there hasn't been an episode in a long time it's definitely worth a listen. Sex and dating advice for awkward nerdy gamers, given by some awkward nerdy gamers getting drunk on Captain Morgan.
    • Tech Fetish: IGN's Gear Podcast - Funny podcast about tech.
    • When Diplomacy Fails Podcast - A history podcast. Zach takes a war and discusses it for an hour. Very interesting as he generally takes wars that we wouldn't have studied in any detail in school.

OVERALL
    I love them all equally, but if I had to choose a favourite, it would probably be The Comedy Button. I genuinely look forward to 11:30pm on Fridays because I know I'll have a new episode to listen to, and I listen to each episode at least twice in that first weekend after it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 joker jonboy

the infinite monkey cage.. with professor brian cox
    stuff you should know is great too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy Podcast - usually featuring either The News Quiz or the Now Show.

Freakanomics Podcast - Brilliantly interesting stuff happens when you apply economic principals to things like getting a more stuff at Halloween or what happens to a town that has to pay directly to their town coucil for their street lights to be turned on

This American Life - Perfect. Never found a show thats equaled it in quality or longevity.

The Bugle - Generally Very funny satire from a Mr. John Oliver in New York talking to a Mr. Zaltzman in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

agree with Radio 4 comedy and Frank Skinner
    My other 2 are
    Richard Herring's Podcasts from Leicester Square and
    Radio Nowhere (specifically like Filmic, music from the movies)

Will certainly try some of those mentioned above though, so thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

UH YEAH DUDE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Filmspotting - Proper in depth analysis of cinema, with a differently themed top 5 list every week and director/genre marathons. It's great for recommendations.

I do like Kermode & Mayo too but it's been getting into backslapping territory lately with the endless listener emails and in-jokes. Often drowns out the film talk which is why I listen really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

No Agenda

I came across this after finding Dan Carlin's History and Politics shows, and being made aware of some podcast awards. No Agenda was on the list, and I dipped in and tried it and a few others.

It's tech-guy John C Dvorak and DJ Adam Curry speaking about all sorts of stuff. It began fairly free form (there are 500 shows out there in the archives), but has morphed over time to carry more of a media-watch, government-watch agenda (ironically).

But it's very entertaining, and great value for money (it's free, with optional donations). Everything they've done is available for download, and latter episodes often run to ~3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

Hardcore History .. because history

and

WTF with Marc Maron .. because comedians have an uncanny way of telling it the way it is. This is why we need comedy.

- The episode with Mike DeStefano is crazy.. actually threw me for a loop. You can listen to it for free here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

My favourite podcast is that which was done by Karl Pilkington (of whom I'm a fan), Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant weekly between 2002 and 2005 on the XFM radio station (the station not only gave us Pilkington, Gervais and Merchant it also gave us the likes of Simon Pegg, Russell Brand, Justin Lee Collins, Alex Zane and Dermot O'Leary) .

The podcast is just the three of them having a series of pointless conversations. Thanks mainly to Karl, though, it is hilarious and it has me in tears of hysterics. Throughout January and February 2006, the podcast was consistently ranked the number one podcast in the world. It appeared in the 2007 Guinness World Record for the world's most downloaded podcast, having gained an average of 261,670 downloads per episode during its first month. By March 2011, the podcast has been downloaded over 300 million times and in 2010 the podcast was animated and turned into Channel 4's The Ricky Gervais Show.

If you can't find the podcasts anywhere then all five series of The Ricky Gervais Show are available on DVD.

The.Ricky.Gervais.Show.S03E13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Poolside with Dean Delray was good for classic rock yarns and opinions, he has started a new Podcast now along the same lines. I used to like Skeptics Guide To The Universe but they became too arrogant and condescending. I like Conspiracy Skeptic when the guy makes them. Jill Valentine UFO show is a hoot if you want something to pass a long drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kermode and Mayo is good, agree there's too much backslapping though and it takes forever to get going, the Empire podcast is good too, some good interviews on that and specials with directors and actors, the magazine has been rubbish for years but the podcast is entertaining. I used to listen to the slashfilm (/film) podcast for ages but the guy who presents it's voice wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I recently started watching the very enjoyable series 'Comic Book Men' which is accomponied by a weekly podcast.

The best part of the show I came to find was Walt Flanagan and Bryan Johnson whom I later found out had their own podcast 'Tell em' Steve Dave'. I'm really loving this podcast (The stories Bryan has!) and have a whole back catalogue to listen to as I started on #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

iamaiamai wrote: »
    - The episode with Mike DeStefano is crazy.. actually threw me for a loop. You can listen to it for free here

I listen to the WTF pod when I know the person being interviewed but skip it otherwise. from Google I see that this guy is a standup who since passed away, would I need to be familar with his work or is the podcast about the drugs/addiction stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The Bugle
    Harmontown
    A Bit of a Chat with Ken Plume
    It Got Weird (Nerdist)
    Talking Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

steve_r wrote: »
    I listen to the WTF pod when I know the person being interviewed but skip it otherwise. from Google I see that this guy is a standup who since passed away, would I need to be familar with his work or is the podcast about the drugs/addiction stuff?

You wouldn't need to be familiar with his work - I wasn't.

It's more about his lifestory - his upbringing, how he got into comedy, and what he got out of comedy.

It's straight-talking but moving at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

I think I'd lose my mind at work without podcasts. I downloaded a few that I've seen here. Here are my current favourites.

The Skeptics Guide To The Universe and Skeptoid are my favourite science podcasts.

On the other side of the coin is Mysterious Universe, two guys talking about various paranormal stuff with good stories from listeners and other websites, they sometimes look at conspiracy theory type topics.

Comedy Bang Bang is really good , it's even spawned a TV show. Some top comedians doing some of their best work. Other good comedies are Answer Me This, FOFOP, "Santo, Sam and Ed", Good Job Brain and The Joe Rogan Experience.

Radio shows with the music, ads and news cut out are always a treat. My faves are Kyle and Jackie O, Sunday Night Safran and Hamish and Andy. All are Australian but are not limited to Australian topics.

BBC Radio 4 has good stuff too. Friday Night Comedy (Esp. The News Quiz) and Comedy Of The Week are quiet good.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Kyle and Jackie O is absolute poison!!!!:confused:

He is a complete ars hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

MadPatrick wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin is Mysterious Universe, two guys talking about various paranormal stuff

MU is great fun. If you like that, you may enjoy Red Ice Radio - they do a free hour twice a week. Occasionally (and recently) they cover new-age stuff which isn't my bag, but it's a solid production and when it's good, it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I know its not everyones taste, but I'm loving the internet box podcast and the roosterteeth podcast. They're pretty much the only one I listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

Danny Baker on BBC 5 live is a great podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richard Herring has a series of interviews with other comedians and Presenters in his Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast

The latest episode has made headlines as Stephen Fry revealed for the first time that he attempted suicide last year, although it is generally more lighthearted in tone.

Past guests have included Armando Iannucci, David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, Jonathan Ross and Richard's former Fist of Fun Partner Stewart Lee. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Herring's 'me1 vs me2' podcast is brilliant too.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_snooker/

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Enjoy the Joe Rogan Experience, and Pointless with Kevin Pereira - both on deathsquad.tv

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hardcore History, but I've pretty much run out now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

The ones that I would listen to the most are

Podcast Beyond (all things playstation)
    IGN Tech Fetish (technology)
    The Moth Podcast (storytelling)
    This American Life (documentaries)
    The Joe Rogan Experience (3 hours of chatting sh1te)
    Resident Advisor (weekly mix, mainly house/techno)
    Boiler Room (recordings from various boiler rooms around the world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Steve Austin Show - Stone Cold Steve Austin having chats with former wrestlers, and some are about some really random crap like his run in with a fly.

Stuff You Should Know - very random discussion about odd subjects like how coffins work/how Brrning Man Festival Works etc

Then the usual football ones - Football Weekly/Sunday Supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

The Joe Rogan Experience is brilliant.

Hardcore history is an amazing podcast, well worth a listen if you have any interest in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

NPR's weird quiz show Ask Me Another, featuring the amazingly named Ophira Eisenberg.

It's also got Jonathan Coulton in it, who (if you don't already know) is an amazingly funny guy.

Advertisement